Topic: Getting the lighting just right

Hello, I have recently been looking for new ways to improve my lighting. I thought a good way to start was to see what you guys use. What is the material that you use for diffusers? How do you position your reflectors? I would greatly appreciate advice and tips on lighting. I would also like to know what the general setup of your studio is. (I would greatly appreciate photos) I would really like to get my animations better, and this seems like the right way to do it. Thanks for the help! mini/bigsmile

Re: Getting the lighting just right

I have a lot of different lighting setups, but the one I most commonly use is having two big lamps pointing at the ceiling. to bounce it off and diffuse it more softly.  Usually I tend to prefer more soft lighting on LEGO bricks because the plastic is so reflective, and I don't want there to be bits of random glare on the pieces.  Of course, there is no lighting that's good in every situation, and I sometimes do use more sharp lighting when it feels right.

Even with two lamps pointed at the ceiling, there are still loads of different ways that I can adjust it in exactly how I point the up there.  For instance, if I point them at two different point on the ceiling, the light becomes even softer, but they can also be pointed it the same point, which is useful if I want to have more contrasted shadows.  I can also make the lights be more behind the figures or more in front of them.  If it's more behind them, I can get a nice rim light, which is good for scenes that are supposed to look darker.

Usually before I take a shot, I spend a a really long time adjusting the lights until I finally hit something that looks really good.

I also sometimes employ bounce boards off screen to highlight certain objects or characters.  Usually I just use a large flat LEGO element.  Or sometimes darker elements off screen to block light and darken areas which are of less importance.

Something I learned from watching Rioforce's stuff: make it cinematic. The common thing for brickfilmers to do is get a couple lamps and light the whole scene. That's fine, but direct light and single source light is unique and, if done right, looks great. Contrast is one that can improve the quality of a scene. Experiment and think of unique but fitting ways to light your scene.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

I'd recommend watching these brickfilms for some inspiration for lighting ideas:
Mirrored Perspective
The River
Twelve Bucks
The Gauntlet

All of the above examples tend to use minimal light to a great effect. Though, flat, even lighting can also give a nice look as well; especially if done correctly:
Beast

Usually, the farther you can push the lighting - the better your sets can look. It's really all subjective, but, the more brickfilms you can watch, the better. It'll help you develop your own style once you start actually looking at different techniques.

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Lighting goes a very, very long way in setting the mood and tone of the scene. You'll want to figure out what setting you want first, then figure out what kind of lighting will complement that. There's no set formula or 'one size fits all' solution. It involves a lot of trial and error, but over time, you will learn what you like, and begin to develop your own unique style.

I usually have 2-3 basic desk lamps pointed right at the set from different angles. (Like this)
But for And Men Loved Darkness the outdoors shots generally used one lamp, (This.)
with the other details handled by a ton of LEDs. (This.)
I've also used Christmas lights on occasion. (Here)

It's not so much what you use, as how you use it. As my classic example of that, observe that these two frames, so far as I can remember, by the same number, and possibly even the exact same lamps. (Here and Here)

These's one thing I've learned recently that has really help with lighting up faces well. You need to reflect the light onto the minifig's face by using a bit of white paper, or even a larger white tile plate. You set that on the ground of your set, a few studs from his/her feet, then angle it until the light from the lamp is bouncing into the figure's face.

Unlike Squid, I very rarely bounce lighting on a larger scale. I don't use gels or diffusers. (Though I'd love to get some someday.) My lighting set-ups are very direct, and depending on the feel I want, pretty simple too.

Feel free to scroll through my Flickr stream for ideas, though I don't have many that show the lighting set-up as a whole.

As for films and examples:
Don't Blink was a huge inspiration for me.
ForlornCreature's Lego Minecraft films have some great lighting, and here's some behind the scenes for those.
Squid got me into the whole mini-LED thing, so check out some of his films for some more great lighting.
And SlothPaladin has done a great job recently, (particularly on this) though he also has a lot more specialized equipment than the average brickfilmer.

Also, find all the behind the scenes videos and pictures you can. Some people don't put out much, but it's always helpful to see how they do it. THACumentaries are a good source for quick and simple solutions to problems, but you'll have to wade through some fluff and silliness to get to the profitable stuff.

Thanks for all the ideas guys! I will certainly try some of these methods. mini/smile

I think I have achieved the best lighting I can do for now without a third lamp, having the second "lamp" be a flashlight. Surprisingly enough, I can light in some dark areas very well with the flashlight; it being so bright and all

Previously known as Gillcrafter

"I'm not superstitious. But I am a little stitious."
                                                            -Michael Scott

I have finally gotten two lamps, and I feel like the lighting is at its best!   mini/bigsmile

Previously known as Gillcrafter

"I'm not superstitious. But I am a little stitious."
                                                            -Michael Scott