Topic: Brickfilming for Dummies

Hey, i've tried to make a brickfilms over the years, only for them to fail spectacularly, mainly due to technical issues. So im asking what're the  best beginner (keyword) softwares, and lights to use. Are there any cheap cameras good for brickfilming? Also, i have a low supply of Lego bricks, are there any sites that sell bulks of bricks for reasonable prices?
Thanks to those who respond.

-Zane "Wannabe-Coniseur"

Been a Brickfilm fan since 2009, yet ive failed to become a coniseur. What a shame. Might as well get started.

Re: Brickfilming for Dummies

If you have a camera you can make a brickfilm, might not be ideal but you can do it with almost anything. However the easiest way to make a brickfilm is going to be with a web camera. I once picked up a Logitech 9000 at Good Will for $5, and that is a perfectly acceptable camera to make a movie on, however if you want to buy something new the current recommendation seems to be the Logitech C920, some of us use modern Canon DSLRs but I really don't recomend that unless you are looking to spend over $1000 on equipment.

If you plan to use a web camera there is no reason to not use free capture software, check out this post about all the free software available.

But it's really hard to offer help if we don't know what you have, do you have any cameras? Tell us what they are. What sort of computer are you using? Mac or PC? PC's do have more free options but you have one or two choices on a Mac too.

People use everything from desk lights to fancy movie fresnel lamps for lighting, it's all about knowing how to work with the tools you have. I would just avoid cheap LEDs as some people say they can cause flickering, but you can get good results with old fasion bulbs to modern cfl bulbs, you just need a light fixture you can position and control.

Thanks for the response. What brickfilms do you know of that shot on a logitech 9000? And while you shoot with a webcam, does it have to be hooked up to a laptop? Im on a PC laptop. I'll definitly being looking into some lamps that i can position and control. Im gonna try and keep this cheap, lol.

Been a Brickfilm fan since 2009, yet ive failed to become a coniseur. What a shame. Might as well get started.

Zane Evers wrote:

i have a low supply of Lego bricks, are there any sites that sell bulks of bricks for reasonable prices?

If you want to get more Lego at an affordable price, you should go on https://bricklink.com . I haven't bought anything from there yet, but from what I've heard from other members of BIM, it's a pretty good site.

Keep in mind the Quickcam 9k is sort of a 'has been' camera, but it can be good for shooting 720p video.

Here are two videos by CrazyEd who uses a 9K
The Great Invention
Twick or Tweet

If you are looking for a more modern camera that can shoot at 1080p you might want the C920, check out this thread where people show off films they made with the C920, you can tell it does look better then the 9K, but it costs 3 or 4 times as much, but still for around $80 it's a great little camera.

And yes, you will need to hook the camera up to a laptop, you will want to get frame grabbing software, try something like Heron Animation (and if it does not work for you there are other free options) and it will connect to your web camera, so you will be able to use the computer to take pictures without touching the camera and be able to play back the animation as you work making the whole process way easier. Many folks find it useful to get a USB extension, but with the portability of a laptop you can get away without one.

Edit: Just a note on Heron Animation, I had an issue with the 64x version but the 32x version seemed to work fine.

Sweet, thanks again for the tips/advice. It's incredibly helpful!

I have a c920. It's fantastic. Definitely worth the money.

To add to what William said, the best way to get bulk bricks is to buy 'Classic' sets, particularly around black Friday in the USA.
Bricklink is best when you have a specific set in mind you're building and know what bricks you want.
I have no idea what you consider a reasonable price, but the only way to get LEGO really cheap is from yard sales and thrift stores.

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B-S9Gk-8REITRVJVQXVwZkdBRk0
“But the enterprise in which I’m about to embark on is fraught with imminent peril.”

Zane Evers wrote:

Hey, i've tried to make a brickfilms over the years, only for them to fail spectacularly, mainly due to technical issues. So im asking what're the  best beginner (keyword) softwares to use.

While you may not want to try this software unless you are going to be semi-serious about brickfilming (though you could try the free trial), I would highly recommend looking into iKitMovie 4.0 if you plan on doing stop motion for any long period of time. While the $70 price tag ($80 if you want it in DVD form) might seem pretty steep, you really get quite a lot. iKitMovie supports HD video, has over 2,00 sounds in its library, has a Chroma Key feature, allows you to overlay pictures (such as muzzle flashes) into the video, and has masking. The best thing about it is that you can do all your filming and editing with one piece of software (that is, if you don't want to do anything too fancy).

However, from my experience iKitMovie has been rather buggy (their customer support is great, though) and the time it takes to export and add masks seems longer than it should be. 

You'd also need to make sure your laptop meets the minimum requirements.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by FeinsteinFilms (August 2, 2016 (07:49pm))

YouTube

"If you find a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

I wouldn't suggest spending money on an all in one piece of software, when something clams to do everything they tend to do those things from OK to bad. You can use something free like Heron Animation for capture and edit and do special effects it in a free program like Hitfilm Express, FreeSound.org is a great place to get sound effects and if you have your own mic you can start recording them yourself which can be fun.

If you really want to spend money on frame capture programs it's really a, 'go big or go home' type scenario, with Dragonframe being pretty much the end all be all frame capture program, but if you don't want to spend $300 on a program that just does frame capture, then don't buy a cheaper piece of software, get a free piece of software.