Topic: Switching to a C920 from a DSLR?

Hey all. So, for the past few years I've been animating with a Nikon D3100, and while the image quality's great, the lack of compatibility with any kind of remote capture software is starting to feel really restrictive. I'd like to try and branch out and do more things like camera movement and animate multiple subjects at once, but with this camera that's proving to be pretty difficult.

I've started to look into other cameras that are more ideal for stop-motion. I know everybody here raves about the Logitech C920, so do you guys think I'd be better off going with that if I decide to upgrade, or would it be better to save up for a Canon DSLR instead?

Thanks. mini/smile

Re: Switching to a C920 from a DSLR?

I guess that depends on your priorities.

If you want to just do films and don't mind the slight loss in quality, lack of lens control, and harder lighting setups, go ahead and grab the C920 and have a ball.

But if you're thinking long term and really want to make better films and don't mind putting a bit of money into them, save for the DSLR. But of course, there's always a problem with getting a DSLR that people don't often realize (not necessarily you, but generally this is the case): A DSLR is only the first of an infinite amount of purchases. Tripod, camera rigs, Dragonframe, lighting, desk, lenses, lenses, lenses, etc etc etc etc, it all adds up.

That being said, I don't think that DSLRs are a bad investment at all. Neither do I think that the c920 is a cheap way out. Both are good cameras and each have their pros and cons. It's all really dependent on what you're really wanting to do, how long, what's the budget, and if you can find other use for the equipment.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I own both a Nikon D5200 DSLR and the Logitech C920 HD webcam. They're both great pieces of kit and your DSLR isn't too far off to mine in similarities as well as being a Nikon. Although if you plan to use a DSLR, dragonframe is a great piece of kit you'll probably need. I'm currently investing in a lot of the kit I need for the DSLR still.

The logitech will literally mean you can buy the webcam and download some freeware like Helium Frog or one of my personal favourites from this forum known as Heron animator. Then you can fiddle with the focusing and camera settings/exposure via the PC on the webcam's control rig on the computer. It can be a little irritating to work in software and also adjust these on the logitech software at the same time, but it's a budget option and the webcam still looks great.

Whereas, for a DSLR setup. Not only will you be having to purchase a new camera, you'll need other equipment. For example a student license for Dragonframe is like $150 (I think), then you'll need the tripods, SD card and an AC adapter so you don't have to keep recharging it, which is something I'm currently about to invest in myself.

If you're serious about animation, definately invest in the DSLR and the setup for it over time. If you just do it as a hobby and want to create decent looking animations and have a fairly straight forward setup on a budget, there's nothing wrong with using the Logitech since it's a great webcam and you can shoot in a 720p or 1080p resoloution instead of having to edit it to that resoloution in software.

Hope this helps.

YouTube Channel - Please Subscribe to Help me out!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9br8o … UGih5jf8zA

Thanks for the advice, guys!

rioforce wrote:

If you want to just do films and don't mind the slight loss in quality, lack of lens control, and harder lighting setups, go ahead and grab the C920 and have a ball.

What exactly do you mean by harder? Would I just need to position things differently, or would I have to invest in some different lights (I'm currently working with three desk lamps)?

UnknownBrick Films wrote:
rioforce wrote:

What exactly do you mean by harder? Would I just need to position things differently, or would I have to invest in some different lights (I'm currently working with three desk lamps)?

Well, from my and others' experience, webcams don't accept light as well as DSLRs. Since DSLRs have shutters and can remain open longer, you can do a lot cooler lighting, especially in low light. With webcams, you have to make your lighting look good in the live view since capturing with a webcam is actually just taking a snapshot of the live preview since there's no shutter in a webcam. This proves to cause difficulty for low light settings, some lamps, and LED lights. It's not impossible to get great lighting with a webcam, it's just typically harder.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

rioforce wrote:

Well, from my and others' experience, webcams don't accept light as well as DSLRs. Since DSLRs have shutters and can remain open longer, you can do a lot cooler lighting, especially in low light. With webcams, you have to make your lighting look good in the live view since capturing with a webcam is actually just taking a snapshot of the live preview since there's no shutter in a webcam. This proves to cause difficulty for low light settings, some lamps, and LED lights. It's not impossible to get great lighting with a webcam, it's just typically harder.

Ah, I see. Thanks for getting back, Rio! I think I've decided to save up for a Canon instead of getting the C920.