Topic: Favourite Theme

Although this is an easy choice for me (as I love Star Wars, that would be the theme I would pick), I was curious to know what people's favourite theme is. This is on the basis that you could have any set ever produced from that theme, and however many of them you could wish for. I imagine this thread will go one of two ways, where either everybody goes for the same theme, or everyone chooses a different theme.

I look forward to all of your responses. mini/yes

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Re: Favourite Theme

Excellent topic!  I would love to see others' faves.

My favorite theme growing up were Legoland (now called city) and Space.  There were only three main themes then, the third being castle.  Homemaker was a theme then too, but it was on a different scale and didn't last very long.

Space was impossible to find in my area as a youth.  I only had one small ship.  Back then, gray was a rare color!  Totally opposite today

When Lego Star Wars came out, it blew my mind!  The concept Lego selling a licensed franchise was unheard of.  Before that I made my own star wars type ships and blue At-Ats, since gray was rare.  Also, hinges and stuff were rare so I used rubber bands to make the legs movable.   Anyway, Star Wars' first sets were Episode I theme and there was so much secrecy about the plot we only got glimpses from merch like this and the action figures.  We tried to piece together what we knew.  the WWW was a few years old but not the spoiler fest it is today.  I got a Gungan Swamp with Jar Jar and small Tatooine battle with Darth Maul and a vaporator and Maul's speeder.  The lightsaber battle in that scene turned out to be seconds long!

Growing up with the yellow heads only, I'm partial to the yellow headed Lego Star Wars.  I'm not oppsed to the new heads, with so many colors available and many colors on the characters' heads.

Other themes I like are Friends... though I'm comfortable with my masculinity..., 2011's Pharoah's Quest... I have the complete series... and Creator, since they remind me of classic Lego.  Also, the modular are really awesome.

So in summary:

City/Legoland
Space
Star Wars
Friends
Pharoah's Quest
Creator
Modular Building series

and the Star Wars ep I sets were the first I owned with beige bricks.  Also blew my mind!

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

By far it would be creator, since I really enjoy building (although I'm not very good at it) my favorite set over the years has been 4955 Big Rig, which was a birthday present from my Dad, and there's just so many great sets for brickfilming. mini/smile

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B-S9Gk-8REITRVJVQXVwZkdBRk0
“But the enterprise in which I’m about to embark on is fraught with imminent peril.”

My favourite theme is Castle Fantasy Era, it's a great balance between the more detailed sets of today and the multiple factions found in older themes.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/341/32154997096_f26d8af45e_o.jpg

Loving the responses so far! I thought I might just add a few other 'runner-up' themes which I also love, so here is my top 10:

1. Star Wars
2. Minecraft
3. LOTR/Hobbit (why did they have to discontinue it mini/sad)
4. Castle (especially the medieval fantasy era)
5. Harry Potter
6. Ninjago
7. LEGO Studios
8. Space (specifically the UFO, Insectoids, Life on Mars, Mars Mission, Space Police III, Alien Conquest and Galaxy Squad subthemes)
9. Collectible Minifgures
10. Master Builder Academy (Quite a specific theme, but I just loved the concept of it)

Themes I don't like:

1. Friends
2. Elves
3. Chima

I was pretty sceptical of NEXO Knights at first, and while it's not a favourite of mine, it's actually not that bad.

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Hmm, this is difficult for me to answer. I feel like my favorite theme shifts around so much. mini/lol

I'm a huge Star Wars fan in general, so that's obviously my number one. The 2009 Space Police run is also a personal favorite of mine. I just really like the creativity and open-endedness of LEGO overall; how it's both a toy and an art form.

Great idea to post this topic!

Do the Modular Buildings count as a theme? I only have two (Palace Cinema and Assembly Square) but I have to say, they're the loveliest sets I have ever bought. So incredibly, beautifully detailed and well-made.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

jampot wrote:

Do the Modular Buildings count as a theme?

I think they are considered as a part of the creator expert line, in which case yes they do count as a theme then!

I like modulars as well because they are basically ready made buildings for a city in an animation, although I only have the Palace Cinema, and that is still in its box mini/XD)

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Lego Figure Productions wrote:

Themes I don't like:

1. Friends
2. Elves
3. Chima

you never have to mention Chima.  no one likes that one!

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

I like Elves, though.. mini/sad

But yeah Chima is the worst thing ever to come out of LEGO since Galidor.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Chima had some decent stuff in it, to be honest. The speeders were pretty fun to play around with (battling was terrible since you can't actually aim), and the figures were fun (though not terribly useful in general).

Mighty Wanderer wrote:

Chima had some decent stuff in it, to be honest. The speeders were pretty fun to play around with (battling was terrible since you can't actually aim), and the figures were fun (though not terribly useful in general).

I guess that the main problem with Chima (which is also the problem with Nexo Knights) was the TV show. The show wasn't very good (the first season was a decent introduction to the story, but still wasn't good and the whole thing went way downhill from there) and the sets were way too linked to the show. Honestly, I think the only reason that Chima lasted so long was because they spent all that promotional money advertising is and making LEGOLAND rides thinking it would be as popular as Ninjago then it wasn't, but they had to ride it out.

That being said, I do think that some pretty cool parts did come out, and the Speedorz were pretty cool toys that I would have loved to have played with when I was ten.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

rioforce wrote:
Mighty Wanderer wrote:

I guess that the main problem with Chima (which is also the problem with Nexo Knights) was the TV show. The show wasn't very good (the first season was a decent introduction to the story, but still wasn't good and the whole thing went way downhill from there) and the sets were way too linked to the show. Honestly, I think the only reason that Chima lasted so long was because they spent all that promotional money advertising is and making LEGOLAND rides thinking it would be as popular as Ninjago then it wasn't, but they had to ride it out.

That being said, I do think that some pretty cool parts did come out, and the Speedorz were pretty cool toys that I would have loved to have played with when I was ten.

I agree with you there...........:/ Even though I own a few of those sets. I never have really used them yet. mini/XD

My Favorite themes are:
Power Miners (Those rock monsters are so well designed!)
Space Police
Winter Village (The year they repeated the toy shop was a little annoying as I already had the original one.)
The Hobbit (Mainly because I liked the books and movies.)
Lego Minifigures (Really cool items that were cheap for a while.)

Least favorite:
Nexo Knights
Friends
Elves (Because I just can't animate mini dolls.)
Prince of Persia (Many consider this the least grossing lego theme ever.)
The lone ranger

Last edited by Raptor Studios (January 26, 2017 (01:59pm))

Raptor Studios wrote:

Least Favorite:
Prince of Persia

But without Prince of Persia, we wouldn't have Lego Ostriches. mini/smile

Greenshirt wrote:
Raptor Studios wrote:

Least Favorite:
Prince of Persia

But without Prince of Persia, we wouldn't have Lego Ostriches. mini/smile

That is true, I like ostriches. mini/smile

I think what Lego pulled off with the Prince of Persia line was pretty cool. I would have bought them if I could afford it. Had Prince of Persia been commercially successful, I think you probably would have seen more from the Prince of Persia line (same story with The Lone Ranger.)
I really like the Nexo Knights. I like the use of translucent orange and all the different machines and weapons. Although I do find the good guys somewhat lacking, the bad guys are really cool!

Last edited by William Osborne (January 27, 2017 (09:49am))

rioforce wrote:
Mighty Wanderer wrote:

mini/yes mini/yes

I have to agree with rioforce on the TV shows. I'll admit for both themes I enjoyed watching the first 10 or so episodes of the TV shows, but after that it just gets too samey and boring.

To be honest, the only good think that came out of chima in my opinion were the chi crystal pieces, but aside from that everything including the minifigures was a waste of a theme. I actually do however have 2 chima products, the first was a poly bag I got free with a newspaper, and the other was one of the speeders which I got completely free. mini/yes

Next Knights however is not as bad. We have been given lots of cool new pieces like the weapons and shields, the mini pyramid shaped pieces and stuff in new colours like a d.blue lightsaber hilt. The minifigures are also a lot more useful, especially the heads of the good guys. I do feel however that with the new 2017 wave they are going in the same direction as chima, as there is something about the new sets which just makes them look like chima (perhaps the colour scheme?)

And for Prince of Persia and the Lone Ranger, I actually quite liked those themes (although the only thing I liked about the Lone Ranger were the american soldiers). Prince of Persia however had loads of awesome minifugures and parts for building  asian/eastern scenes, and of course we all know that the highlight of that theme were the camels and ostriches mini/wink But my favourite sets form that theme would have to be the 'Battle of Alamut', 'Desert Attack' and 'Quest Against Time'. Unfortunately, I do not own any of those sets mini/confused

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Creator.
Its simple, any brickfilmer or Lego enthusiast has either built or used some sort of creator set in a project. The range of uniquely built sets (as appose to Lego city sets mini/tongue ) bring a whole new dynamic to a project.
PLUS the Creator Expert series are amazing, they not only look great, but are really handy for any brickfilm. mini/yes

Legointhefridge
"...If we're not supposed to have midnight snacks, why is there a light in the fridge?"

The biggest issue I find with Chima is that I just don't think the whole theme is appealing, especially when you have themes like Ninjago, which are similar, but so much cooler!

I'm really quite partial to some of the more classic themes which I got to experience as I was growing up.  The original Alpha Team and Adventurers/Orient Expedition in particular hold a special place in my heart, as well as some of the World City sets.  I have very fond memories of getting the Scorpion Palace as a present.  Later on I really enjoyed the Fantasy Era Castle sets (the Dwarves' Mine in particular) and the 2008 Agents (in particular, the Mobile Command Centre remains one of my all-time favourite sets, and one of the few I've kept assembled over the years).

If I'm perfectly honest, I haven't really truly fallen in love with since around 2010ish--although, to be honest, this is probably me being nostalgic.  Still, we went from themes like Exo-Force and Bionicle... to Ninjago and Chima.  (Ninjago in particular really disappointed me, since I was hoping for something along the lines of the 1998 Ninja theme).  There have been quite a few that have come close, though, in particular the absolutely fantastic Modular Buildings series and LEGO Movie sets.  Though these days I tend to view sets as being parts packs more than anything, since I'd rather use them to build my own creations.  (I still always assemble the sets, though).

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive