Topic: Lego DC Trinity

Directory Link

Lego DC Trinity

Youtube

The Dc Brickfilm Universe begins. Batman and Superman team up to save a mind-controlled Wonder Woman from Kaito, a disciple of Darkseid.

Special Thanks to Dyland, who composed an epic soundtrack that matched the dark tone I wanted.

Last edited by funmiproductions (March 1, 2017 (09:52am))

Re: Lego DC Trinity

Any comments?

Nothing?

The problem with composing a score for a brickfilm (or even making an original brickfilm, for that matter) is that the story is mostly spoiled for me. Twists, scares, action sequences, and plot are all revealed through watching an incompleted film. Rarely after scoring do I actually go on to watch & enjoy the final product to the fullest extent.

Trinity is one of the few exceptions.

The film is just as enjoyable for me now as it was when I first watched it sans orchestrations. While the animation itself and sets would strengthen from a bit more practice in presentation, the pacing is spot on - as is the lighting.

I feel that the music is just a bit too low - although, my opinion may be a bit biased since I'm the composer. mini/smile

funmiproductions wrote:

The Dc Brickfilm Universe begins...

I was glad to be a part of this! Hans Zimmer isn't exactly my favorite composer, but I can't deny that doing my part for this film was a bit of a challenge - and overall very fun. I look forward to seeing what the DC Brickfilm universe will bring to the table - and similarly look forward to your next productions, funmi.

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

The soundtrack was good. There's lots of room for improvement in your cinematography. In the shots from 0:39-0:42 there are multiple changes in camera angle for no apparent reason. The new shots don't reveal anything that wasn't obvious from the first, and they aren't dramatically different enough from the first shot to be more interesting visually. Compounding the issue, the framing in those shots is not quite on target, cutting Batman's head off/torso in half despite his ostensibly being the focus of the shot. When you're planning out your shots, be sure to think about what you want to show and whether the angle you've chosen is going to instantly impart to the viewer that this is the intended object of their focus. Keep in mind that each time you move the camera, the viewer has to reorient his or herself within the scene, and if you do it too much without a clear reason it can be disorienting for them.

The voice acting was workable. There were a few times I couldn't understand parts of Batman's dialogue but with his voice distortion that's always going to be a risk. The recording quality for the Superman actor was a little rough. I'm not sure if that was a result of his mic or using too much compression, but it caused some distracting crackles and pops in his dialogue. I did think the actors had reasonably good voices for their characters.

Finally, the writing can use some polish. The bit at the end where Wonder Woman and Batman pontificate about the goodness of mankind could have been set up better, for example. It's great to have these higher-level themes in mind when you're writing a script, but be careful to make sure they feel like a natural part of the dialogue as it arises from the situations the characters are in. Otherwise it feels out of character and can take the audience out of the story. Something as simple as a scene where the three main characters actively experience an example of friendship and teamwork (beyond Batman and Superman punching some goons while not really respecting each-other) would do wonders for making the speeches at the end seem more organic.