Topic: A Better Mousetrap Ep 4: A Stinky Surprise

Directory Link

A Better Mousetrap Ep 4: A Stinky Surprise

YouTube

This is the final episode in a 4 part mini series. One day I hope to continue this cartoony story, but for now, it must come to an end. Please enjoy!

Re: A Better Mousetrap Ep 4: A Stinky Surprise

Will he ever make a better mousetrap?

Life is like a box of LEGO, you never know what you're gonna build. - mrgraff

Bahaha!
So, after watching this, I had to go back and watch the entire series. Glad I did, as it would have been a pity to miss it.
It reminds me a lot of the Barney Bunny series. Clean and simple fun, with a light premise, delightful execution, and goofy story. Classic Tom and Jerry vibes are everywhere.

The animation is well done, although a side effect of adding the mouse in post is its randomly fluctuating size in relation to everything else. It is a cute model, and it's integrated fairly well, so it's not a big problem. The intro is pretty cool, and makes for a unique and eye-catching way to begin each episode.

You do a good job setting up a story and ending it in the short runtime, however, it would be nice to have more of a closer as the ending. The premise is set up, of the mouse being a problem, but the ending has no resolution or pay off. The guy doesn't catch the mouse, obviously give up, move, kill the mouse, or anything. There's nothing to indicate that this is the final episode except for the title. Other than that flaw, it's a delightful series!

Thanks for sharing.

VN wrote:

Will he ever make a better mousetrap?

Doubt it mini/lol

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Bahaha!
So, after watching this, I had to go back and watch the entire series. Glad I did, as it would have been a pity to miss it.
It reminds me a lot of the Barney Bunny series. Clean and simple fun, with a light premise, delightful execution, and goofy story. Classic Tom and Jerry vibes are everywhere.

The animation is well done, although a side effect of adding the mouse in post is its randomly fluctuating size in relation to everything else. It is a cute model, and it's integrated fairly well, so it's not a big problem. The intro is pretty cool, and makes for a unique and eye-catching way to begin each episode.

You do a good job setting up a story and ending it in the short runtime, however, it would be nice to have more of a closer as the ending. The premise is set up, of the mouse being a problem, but the ending has no resolution or pay off. The guy doesn't catch the mouse, obviously give up, move, kill the mouse, or anything. There's nothing to indicate that this is the final episode except for the title. Other than that flaw, it's a delightful series!

Thanks for sharing.

I appreciate the detailed feedback. Tom and Jerry was the main inspiration for this series (which I first started working on over a year ago!)

I actually didn't intend to stop here. I have a lot more stories and ideas floating around, but I've come to a point where I don't have the time to animate them. One day I would love to return to this series and make more, along with a proper conclusion. I filmed this a while back, and only afterwards realized I wouldn't be able to do more. Hence the lack of a proper resolution.

With that said, I'm glad you still enjoyed it. In spite of its flaws, many hours went into each of these short episodes, and it's something I'm very proud of.

Daniel wrote:

I've come to a point where I don't have the time to animate them.

Are you going to continue to animate in general?

Life is like a box of LEGO, you never know what you're gonna build. - mrgraff

VN wrote:

Are you going to continue to animate in general?

Eventually. BrickVideo keeps me pretty busy, and since I need to find a full-time job, I doubt I'll have spare time to make my own animations. Right now, my motivation to even animate is very low.

I do have one more brickfilm that is complete and will be released on my channel in the coming months, but that will be it for now. I'm confident I'll bounce back and eventually start animating again, but I just need a break. This past year was a difficult one on many levels, and I think on top of everything, I'm just drained. A break will help rekindle my creativity and passion for this hobby.

As with the rest of this series, the way you composite the mouse into the rest of the scene sells the effect so so well.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein