Topic: Spaceship Takeoff VFX Test

This is a test I made. I was partially inspired by the VFX shot made by the2awesomeguys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlpip-P8fi4

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Last edited by raytistic (April 11, 2017 (05:29am))

Re: Spaceship Takeoff VFX Test

I have one thing to say to you. Tell me master how you achieved such wizardry mini/lol

Joking aside, I'm really impressed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming you shot the spaceships in and outside on a green/blue screen, with them both being attached to string (I'm not sure but maybe the spaceship outside was fully animated)? It is obvious that the small spaceship is not actually there, but I only noticed that because the lego of the spaceship was smaller than the lego of the hangar it was in. And I can tell that the spaceships outside is just the footage of one spaceship duplicated several times. I'm very intrigued to know 1) where you sourced the image of the lego planet, and 2) what editing software you used (my current guess is adobe after effects) so if you could tell me then I would be very grateful mini/yes

P.S. Is the inside meant to have that pinkish tone to it? It just kind of looked a bit funny to me.

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

It's good, nice. One thing I would say is that the shadow of the ship doesn't move away fast enough when it finally flies away. The ship is already gone but the shadow lingers on. So, maybe try to have the shadow match the ship more accurately next time. Cheers mini/smile

YouTube | Vimeo

SLEEP IS AN IRRESISTIBLE FORCE - BrickLord

Thank you for your comments!

Lego Figure Productions wrote:

I'm very intrigued to know 1) where you sourced the image of the lego planet, and 2) what editing software you used (my current guess is adobe after effects) so if you could tell me then I would be very grateful mini/yes

P.S. Is the inside meant to have that pinkish tone to it? It just kind of looked a bit funny to me.

1) I got the image from the internet - https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/di … 105223841, and then i edited the colors in Gimp.
2) I did the rest using (surprise!) HitFilm 4 Express, witch is free.

and finally, the pinkish tone was a mistake made by me trying to make it look more space-like. I agree, it does look funny mini/smile

As for the rest - you are correct, only that it was 1 single image that i used for all the spaceships. I simply adjusted the size and multiplied it.

Hope that answers your question.

Last edited by raytistic (April 12, 2017 (03:25am))

One thing I noticed is that you seem to have some greenish fringing, particularly around the edge of the windows, not sure how you did it, but for still plates like that I would probably just have a black background, and then mask it out manually rather than use a keyer.  (I would only use a keyer if something was moving in front of the window.) You can look at the different settings in the keyer and see if there's an anti spill setting and/or move the green-screen further away from the set to minimize the effect when you do use a keyer.

Other than the shadow which was already mentioned, I thing the movement looks pretty good. mini/smile

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B-S9Gk-8REITRVJVQXVwZkdBRk0
“But the enterprise in which I’m about to embark on is fraught with imminent peril.”

Thanks! I've always thought that Hitfilm looked good, so I must try it out! mini/smile

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?