Topic: Canon DSLR'S. Which one to buy? (Nikon Light Flicker issues)

Hey guys so I'm thinking of selling my Nikon d3300 and getting a Canon. My main reason is my Nikon just flicker's and I've done everything there is and still it remains. So I notice there alot of Canon users here so which ones do some of you guys have or suggest? My price range is 400-800 and I'm looking for camera bodies only since I will use my older Nikon lens. So basically which Canons can take pictures with high apetures set in the 20's and 30's and not throw off shutter flicker? Also where to find Nikon lens to Canon body adaptors and battery power supply that keeps the battery charged at all times. Thanks guys hope to get some feedback

Mod edit: Edited title to be more descriptive in case anyone else needs help with this issue. mini/smile

Last edited by rioforce (May 13, 2017 (10:04am))

Re: Canon DSLR'S. Which one to buy? (Nikon Light Flicker issues)

If you're getting light flicker on a Nikon DSLR, replacing it with a Canon DSLR is unlikely to fix the problem so far as I understand. For instance, if shutter speed is affecting your light flicker, then maybe there's something problematic about the lights you're using (some fluorescent or LED bulbs can create problems, for example).

Provided your Nikon has compatibility with the stop motion software you're using, they are good cameras and it might be better to find the source of the problem than spend additional money to change something that is unlikely to be causing the problem.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I don't think the Nikon is the source of your flicker. Do you have any examples of the flicker and would you Care to elaborate on what you've done to minimize it. What is the process of your brickfilming? Do you have the camera hooked up to a computer? What software do you use? What lenses? lighting? Do you use Manual Settings on your Nikon? What settings do you usually use? Is the camera on a tripod? Is there a window in the room shining daylight? Are you waering white shirts that could be reflecting light to the set and since you're not in the same location in each frame it causes flicker? Just some thoughts...

YouTube | Vimeo

SLEEP IS AN IRRESISTIBLE FORCE - BrickLord

So the things I'm experiencing. If my apeture is high and shutter speed is slow for example I get the luminosity light flicker every other frame. So I'm currently using dragon frame and prior was using digicam as my capture software. I'm filming in my garage so it's completely a dark room, as well I'm wearing dark clothing. I currently have 7 lights. 4 lights are lusana studio lights, with the barn door style. They can with a flouresent light but I replaced them all with 40w LED white lights. My other 3 lights are one desk lamp and 2 clamp lamps from home Depot. All lights are using the same bulbs. I recently bought 2 old Nikon lens, 105mm  and one 55mm Manuel lenses. Still get flicker while using those lenses. I also bought extension tubes as well. After going on dozens of sites alot of Nikon users with the d3300's have bad flicker. I was just wondering if Canon users get the same kind of problems.

I agree with the others, just because you seem to have a problem with your camera doesn't mean you should just go and buy one straight away. A camera is an important decision and shouldn't be rushed. I spent 4 months looking at different Canon cameras seeing which ones would best suit me. However, I must say that it could very well be your camera, as I am aware that Nikon DSLRs (and most old ones) have a tendency to have light flicker, and it can also be caused by an automatic lens (it would be good to know what lenses you have and how old they are). If you find that there is also some issues with your depth of field, then it is likely that your lens is the problem, and the problem is likely to be that the aperture gets stuck and doesn't go back to the same position for each picture. Other problems that may cause light flicker are electricity issues, like the plugs not giving a constant flow of energy to the lights, meaning that the power of the light will vary. Also, it is known for mirrors to sometimes cause light flicker, so make sure to cover up any that are in your room.

I'm not too sure on this point (would be great if someone could correct me if I'm wrong) but I think if you are getting the 'bars' going across your screen when you say light flicker, then it is probably any LED lights that you are using. I know I had a pair of LED lights which were absolutely terrible unless you were using them for photography and weren't planning to take too may pictures of the same thing in the same place.

For cameras (if you do need to buy one), I am using the Canon 700D (Rebel T5i if you live in America). The cheapest that I have found it on amazon is about £400, so you should definitely have the money to buy it. I had also looked at the 60D, 400D (Rebel XTi), 550D (Rebel T2i), 600D (Rebel T3i), 1000D (Rebel XS) and 1100D (Rebel T3). The reason why I chose the 700D is because it can get fairly close to minifigures with the standard kit lens. It can work with a wireless remote (which I believe is a feature not present in the 1000D/1100D) and has 18 megapixels, the best out of all the cameras that I have mentioned (although the 60D, 550D and 600D also have 18)`. It was also one of the cheapest cameras of the lot (only being beaten I think by the 400D - which was my second option, the 1100D and perhaps the 1000D). It had been recommended to me by several people, and I know that there were other brickfilmers who had used and had made some amazing brickfilms. The only main problem I had with the camera was that it has a pretty short battery life compared to the others (only the 400D had a lower battery life) however this was not too big of an issue as I currently use an AC Adapter so it doesn't run out of charge. I would definitely recommend purchasing one.

I hope this helps. the sky has actually gone significantly dark since I first started writing this mini/lol

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Could it be something with the camera and dragonfame not communicating properly. If you want live feedback come to the irc chat as I'm there at this time. It is a peculiar problem. Could you tell me the exact models of the Lenses and around what shutter speeds you'd be operating near. Also, Are you sure dragonframe is set up properly? As there's the liveview capture and then hi-res and maybe something in the program is getting mixed up between them...

YouTube | Vimeo

SLEEP IS AN IRRESISTIBLE FORCE - BrickLord

I've not had any light flicker problems since using my camera (Aside from one situation which was due to a faulty bulb).

By the way, what madness drove you to getting 7 lights?!?! Isn't that a bit excessive?! mini/lol

Also (others can share their opinions) I have always found fluorescent lights to be a lot better than LEDs when it comes to daylight bulbs.

Question for everyone. Which type of daylight bulbs are better, white or blue? I've always thought that the blue ones were a lot better but now I'm not too sure. I currently have two white daylight bulbs but my main light has a blue one. Let me know what you think mini/smile

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

If your having flicker, you might need to look beyond the body. The lens can often times be the culprit. Manual aperture lenses are the best way to void that. I use an older model Canon EOS Rebel XS. I've never has a problem with it. If you want some nicer features though, you might want to look into some newer models. A really good power adapter which I use can be found here. And here's a lens adapter.

-Brickman

I sort of disagree with the respondents here and feel that you've done a pretty good job of locating the issue as with the camera.
Have you taken steps to disable the aperture, possibly by disconnecting the lens? is the issue still there with the extension tubes?
Do any of the lenses you've tried have a manual aperture ring?

I can't really offer advice on Canons, but I will say that if you're determined to get a different camera and have DragonFrame4 it might be worth looking at a mirrorless camera depending on what else you would use the camera for.

I also think that it's a myth that LED's cause flicker, as I have never had or seen an issue with anything besides faulty bulbs or Christmas lights.

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B-S9Gk-8REITRVJVQXVwZkdBRk0
“But the enterprise in which I’m about to embark on is fraught with imminent peril.”

After reading your second post, it does sound like you've eliminated a lot of other possibilities, and have some evidence for your suspicion from others having the same issue. I hadn't thought that a camera could be the source of flicker, but I suppose it's possible if the shutter isn't precise enough from one actuation to the next.

That said, household LED bulbs can definitely be a source of light flicker, depending on your shutter speed. I don't know a great deal about this other than LED lights made for video are special and even they flicker at high frame rates (ie, fast shutter speeds) in many cases. It might be worth shooting a test with the one bulb type that won't cause flicker (incandescent bulbs, although even here you have to make sure there are no other major power drains in the building such as a washing machine currently running) for a test to make sure your LEDs aren't the problem before buying a camera. Just a simple shot lit by one or two incandescent bulbs, doing everything else the same way you do normally.

If it's the camera...honestly they're all pretty good on the Canon side of things. The SL1 is pretty popular because it's small and thus easier to fit into a brickfilm set. I have a 50D and did feel like it was better than the T3i I worked with on the BiM doc stop mo shoot because you could set the color temperature exactly where you wanted it instead of using one of five presets. Now some of the newer Sony mirrorless cameras are supported by the latest version of Dragonframe, too, which could be worth looking into because Sony's sub-$800 camera options are much better for live action video than Canon's, should you want to do a bit of both.

Hey guys thanks for all the great feedback! So I'm using 3 Lenses. 1 is the nikon dx AF-S nikkor 18-55 mm 1:3.5-5.6 G2. this lens gets bad flicker. I did one session with the f/32 and shutter at 2'. the camera gets flicker. then another session with the f/8 and the shutter at 1/20. when the shutter was higher the flicker got worse almost. my next lens micro-nikkor-p auto 1:3.5 f=55mm. this is an older lens i picked up. It has the manual aperture ring. this lens still gets flicker but less then the first one i mentioned. last but not least the nikon micro-nikkor 105mm manual lens. Again this lens as well I get flicker. I have even tested my webcam to make sure that it was not the lights or anything else, and using the webcam there is no flicker. when I'm connected to dragon frames live view, when i turn the aperture to the max setting 32 at the top of the screen it gets very fuzzy. the more it is lowered the fuzzy goes away and that's when the flicker is reduced somewhat. Also I have 3 extension tubes 32mm 20mm and 12mm, all which did nothing to reduce or rid the flicker. there was an older comment on this site i found of a user using a Nikon d3100 with the same issues. after everyone's advice he said he still had a flicker fest. Also Brotherhood workshop who i'm sure most of you know, on one of his behind the scenes somebody made a comment about his camera, and he stated he had a nikon 40 but upgraded to the T2i because the nikon had really bad flicker. Buying a new camera is not what I really want to do cause I really like this camera. But 95% of its for brickfilming so in that case its kinda useless cause flicker is just a nuisance. If i were just taking pictures of sets or using it for regular photography it is amazing! Also to dragon bricks comment yes the 7 lights is a bit much mini/lol ,but I am shooting on a large table with a green screen so 4 of those lights are just to light up the backdrop so is easier to chroma key. Also dragon brick the 700d-t5i is actually one i was looking into to buy. Have you shot at a really high ap in the high 20's and 30's and got no shutter flicker? so that's basically where i'm at, do I sell my nikon and get a canon?? Thanks guys for listening and any other advice anyone might have would be good to hear or maybe people who have nikons with the same issues?

Having a very stopped down aperture shouldn't affect flicker as long as it's not an automatic lens (you can also disconnect the lens slightly from the mount so that the aperture doesn't wiggle at all when you take a shot from the mechanics resetting). But I've never found a Canon DSLR to, itself, create light flicker personally. I've used a t3i and 50D personally but I think most of their cameras are quite similar mechanically.

I just gave your method a try with the lens not connected to the camera body. Sadly it didn't fix it:| . I then decided to take pictures from my cell phone moto4 21mp camera. I took 20 pictures then uploaded them put them in Sony Vegas and played them. No flicker at all. So my 7 LED lights for sure are not causing the problem. Now I do have a question, when you guys use dragon frame and are looking at the live view does it get get fuzzy/noise the higher your apetures are set at? If not maybe the connection from the camera to the PC is causing some sort of flicker?? Might be a dumb question but you never know.

I haven't tried either what you asked me to do or what you talked about in your last post but I will try and get back to you with results soon mini/smile

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

If it still happens with the lens disconnected that's really weird, have you tried exactly matching the settings you used on the phone? Are you sure that the ISO is on manual? Is Active D lighting turned off? Is there any HDR or ADL turned on? or some kind of auto image enhance?

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B-S9Gk-8REITRVJVQXVwZkdBRk0
“But the enterprise in which I’m about to embark on is fraught with imminent peril.”

Ok so I skimmed through the conversation here, but as an owner of both Nikon and Canon cameras, I do understand.

As long as you're using all manual settings on your Nikon (and I mean going through every single setting the camera possibly has and making sure it's all manual and all the auto things are off), then it's unlikely to be the camera. However, it could be, like Smeagol said, it's possible that its the shutter.

However, that's generally not the case, so I would say it's the lenses. You say you're using Nikkor lenses. Sure, they're primes and all, but they're still Nikons. All Nikon lenses (manual and automatic) have a little spring tab on the back that causes the aperture to spring all the way open by default when on the camera.

Here's a picture of the little spring:
http://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/Brickfilming/tutorials/nikon-lens-spring.gif

Here's a picture of how the aperture opens all the way on the camera:
http://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/Brickfilming/tutorials/nikon-lens-spring-mount.gif

Whenever you press the shutter release button, it not only takes the picture with the shutter, but also drops the aperture down to your preset aperture at the same time. Then it pops it back to full open so you have a bright picture through the viewfinder. The issue here is that it doesn't do it to the same place every time.

To fix this (as far as I know) on a Nikon camera (using a manual lens), you have to just not put the lens on all the way so that camera doesn't spring the lens aperture.

http://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/Brickfilming/tutorials/lens-not-on-all-the-way-fix.jpg

So even with manual lenses on a Nikon camera, there can still be some issues with the aperture springing all the way back.

I know that when I got my first manual lens (not a Nikkor lens), the light flicker ceased all together in my videos because I had done everything else right with the lighting, clothing, reflections, and camera. But then I switched to Canon because I wanted to have some more flexibility with software (since the D3100 is super limited and not a great camera).

If you do decide to get a Canon, I can recommend the SL1 because of its size and because it's the only one I own. Like Smeagol said, any Canon is really fine as long as it works with the software. You may want to consider one with a flip out screen and a mic jack, though, if you plan on using it for video as well (I didn't think I would want to when I bought my DSLR but now I kinda want to haha).

I hope you solve this issue!

Edit: I made a video version if anyone's interested in sharing this to other Nikon users in need. mini/wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPOmHyL9Wtg

Last edited by rioforce (May 13, 2017 (06:44pm))

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Rioforce you did it !!!! So on my 55mm and 105mm old manual lens not all the way clicked there is no more light flicker. On my kit 18-55mm it now works. With the Kit lens though I noticed you can barely screw it on cause it must hit the spring cause I tried it last night and it gave off flicker but just doing it a little its gone however this is great! I did a test with the f/ stop at 32 as well as 8 and both gave off no flicker. So I guess there's no need for a new camera yet, but in the future I'll pry still buy a Canon next. Thanks again everyone, the mystery problem is solved and hope this topic can help others in the future!

Last edited by Blissfilm_Productions (May 12, 2017 (09:56pm))