Topic: Night Time Lighting

How does one do night time lighting? I really would like to know how to do it. I really am bad at lighting dark scenes with little light even if I only use a little light. I've seen numerous examples that have been beautifully executed by various brickfilmers so I know it's possible. I would prefer not to do anything in post-production. So does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

-Brickman

Re: Night Time Lighting

If you could link some of the examples, that would be helpful, as there are multiple ways of doing it and some examples may use a very specific technique that I don't mention here. I generally do the classical 'move light from lamp in opposite direction of set' so that there isn't a lot of light (and if you use this method, I would recommend using daylight bulbs - yes that sounds weird, but I personally think they look better than regular bulbs when using them for night scenes). Alternatively, you could not use any of your main lights and only use small LEDs like the ones from Brickstuff (this may not work if your LEDs aren't strong enough though). In my opinion this can look really good, and if you can I would definitely recommend trying this second method. While this isn't lighting a night scene, this video by Brotherhood Workshop shows how you can utilise LEDs well.

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Re: Night Time Lighting

Thanks. I'll try those methods.

-Brickman