Topic: Funny car accident

Directory Link

Funny car accident

Youtube

Our very first release. Looking for ways to improve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbw6EUjwGRk

Re: Funny car accident

loved the focus at the beginning. also decent color grading. i like how u are not afraid to have a lot of shots that change often. the first cut is distracting because it does not match on action so theres overlap of this car passing the intersection. the animation is smooth but could use more dynamics, especially with the cars, which dont move steadily but ease in and out. I like the sound design quite a bit, it had a lot of good attention to detail. im sure some would say that the character animation needed walk cycles or whatever but honestly i understood what was going on i think you conveyed a simple story in a clear and effective way. anyway, this is way better than anything ive ever done; v impressive for a first release. so keep up the good work

I liked this film. Not overly complicated but still has a complete story (beginning, middle, end). It's easy to have an idea and let it grow too large.
For your first release this is well done. I imagine though you've probably had prior experience in some form or another.

Here's some things I noticed that can be worked on for your future films:

Light flicker - Your camera is capturing different levels of light from one frame to the next causing light flicker. This can be caused by a number of things - Lights that vary based on the flow of electricity (one way to minimize this is to plug your lights into a battery-backup surge protector) Pricey, but many people already have one for protecting their computer. A quick fix can be to adjust the shutter speed on your camera. Slowing down the shutter speed is like averaging out the amount of light you're capturing. If light is changing 10-7-10-8-10-4-6-7-10 from one moment to the next, then the average of that is 8. Also, it can depend on the type of lights you're using. An LED light is more noticeably affected by the Alternating Current from a wall socket, than an incandescent light bulb, and a fluorescent light generally flickers a lot and even changes color of the light from frame to frame. The brighter the light, the less noticeable flicker will be. Brighter lights just give you more freedom.

Varying frame rate - There's noticeable changes in your frame rate. Where some shots you took too many photos, and others you took not enough. The resulting appearance is action that moves too slowly for what physically makes sense, or the opposite, action that is jerky and fast because of a lack of frames. Taking too many photos is a good problem to have, because you can always delete frames to speed up an action in a shot that has too many pics. A shot that has too few frames and appears jerky, would likely need to be re-shot. With this, the only way to improve is PRACTICE! Keep making films, and you will find a natural pacing to movements. Observing life and even using real footage as a reference for your animation is a good idea (the pros do it too!).
Another thing you might try is taking more pictures at the start of a planned shot and more at the end. Make the shot longer than you need, and carry the action through longer. This extra footage will give you room to edit the pacing of your film.

A great start to your brickfilmography!
-Nate (FAAF Productions)

http://orig13.deviantart.net/3968/f/2017/197/d/c/faaf_logo_4_1_by_orignl_ninja_knight-dbglsld.png

Hi guys,

nswihart and topitmunkeydog thanks for your comments. I try to integrate your advices next time to make a better movie mini/wink

Great story, and good casting. Both of the characters looked like realistic depictions of their walks of life, and not over-the-top stereotypes, which made the twist ending really come as a surprise.

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

Thanks thistof mini/sunnies