Topic: Crackdown 3 - The Rescue

Directory Link

Crackdown 3 - The Rescue

Youtube

After Officer Foster gets captured by a criminal known as The "Shark",  a rookie Police Officer attempts to rescue Officer Foster and to stop "Shark" and his thugs.

Re: Crackdown 3 - The Rescue

That was great! The animation was fluid and snappy and worked well for the action sequences, the lighting was extremely atmospheric, and the look of the film left me mildly jealous. How did you get that grainy and gritty look? Did you do some color grading, or was it all in the lighting? I'd love to know. Excellent. Nice to see a good quality longer brickfilm. mini/smile

EDIT: The sound design was also great!

Last edited by Brick Block Animations (June 28, 2018 (02:55pm))

My profile picture is deep fried lol

This was a lot of fun. The action for the most part was really well choreographed, and well shot. There's a definite feel of classic old brickfilms here, in the lighting and overall aesthetic.

Spoiler (click to read)

I thought the final fight with the boss was well thought up. I like how evenly matched they felt. The dynamic of having to fight with swords really added a uniqueness from the rest of the action of the film, and I really liked that aspect of the film. The build up to that point was well done, as each opponent became more challenging for him.

I actually really appreciate the use of sound effects in the film. Without the right amount of sound effects, it would definitely be lacking something at points where there is no music, but I do recommend finding multiple versions of certain sound effects, like the swooshing sounds, when the characters fight. When you need to use those sounds as frequently as you did with this film, multiple versions of the same thing stop it from sounding repetitive. This is something I've found whilst making the film I'm doing now. There are certain scenes right now that I'm looking at in my own film and I'm realizing I'm going to have to go back and add more variety in the sound design. That's just a small point I thought I should mention. Overall though, I was impressed by the use of sound. So many brickfilms lack the right amount of atmosphere because not as much work has been put into the sound design, so all things considered, I'd say you did put a lot of work into it and it paid off for the most part.

I like how a lot of the action is shot, as I stated at the top, but when it comes to close ups, and especially when you're cutting to different shots pretty fast, like in the very first fight, you could benefit from showing different angles from around the room and characters. Every shot was facing right, and it would have been that much more effective had you cut to the other side occasionally, as it would add more tension and the right amount of chaos to the fight. This is the only time I felt this way about the fight scenes, though, as I thought the rest of it was really well shot.

So, yeah, those were a couple of small points I thought I might add, but overall, I thought this was great. It was a lot of fun to watch, and I'm happy to have voiced in it mini/bigsmile

Brick Block Animations wrote:

That was great! The animation was fluid and snappy and worked well for the action sequences, the lighting was extremely atmospheric, and the look of the film left me mildly jealous. How did you get that grainy and gritty look? Did you do some color grading, or was it all in the lighting? I'd love to know. Excellent. Nice to see a good quality longer brickfilm. mini/smile

EDIT: The sound design was also great!

Thanks man.
I think that the grain came from the webcam I used and how I had to increase the exposure/gain/brightness to compensate for my lighting.

William Osborne wrote:

This was a lot of fun. The action for the most part was really well choreographed, and well shot. There's a definite feel of classic old brickfilms here, in the lighting and overall aesthetic.

Spoiler (click to read)

I thought the final fight with the boss was well thought up. I like how evenly matched they felt. The dynamic of having to fight with swords really added a uniqueness from the rest of the action of the film, and I really liked that aspect of the film. The build up to that point was well done, as each opponent became more challenging for him.

I actually really appreciate the use of sound effects in the film. Without the right amount of sound effects, it would definitely be lacking something at points where there is no music, but I do recommend finding multiple versions of certain sound effects, like the swooshing sounds, when the characters fight. When you need to use those sounds as frequently as you did with this film, multiple versions of the same thing stop it from sounding repetitive. This is something I've found whilst making the film I'm doing now. There are certain scenes right now that I'm looking at in my own film and I'm realizing I'm going to have to go back and add more variety in the sound design. That's just a small point I thought I should mention. Overall though, I was impressed by the use of sound. So many brickfilms lack the right amount of atmosphere because not as much work has been put into the sound design, so all things considered, I'd say you did put a lot of work into it and it paid off for the most part.

I like how a lot of the action is shot, as I stated at the top, but when it comes to close ups, and especially when you're cutting to different shots pretty fast, like in the very first fight, you could benefit from showing different angles from around the room and characters. Every shot was facing right, and it would have been that much more effective had you cut to the other side occasionally, as it would add more tension and the right amount of chaos to the fight. This is the only time I felt this way about the fight scenes, though, as I thought the rest of it was really well shot.

So, yeah, those were a couple of small points I thought I might add, but overall, I thought this was great. It was a lot of fun to watch, and I'm happy to have voiced in it mini/bigsmile

Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the repeating audio, I was aware that I was using the same sound effects a lot, so I would occasionally change the pitch of it to make it sound slightly different, but in the future I will use more sounds.
Also in the fight scenes I try not to break the 180 degree rule to keep the action easy to follow and because I don't always build my sets in ways where I can easily take walls apart.

Anyway thanks again for voicing in my animation.