Topic: Dragonframe Questions

I just bought dragon frame half an hour ago, but I can't seem to connect my camera to it.  It is a Canon Rebel t6. Can anyone help?
Thanks!

Re: Dragonframe Questions

Fixed! I used a different cord, and now it works. mini/bigsmile

Congrats! Dragonframe is awesome!

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

Thanks! Can you green screen? I am assuming you can, but I do not know how.

What editing or compositing software do you use? I'm not sure about greenscreen within dragonframe, I've only done it in Vegas.

When shooting dragonframe with chroma-keying in mind, it was nice because I didn't have to guess about the footage and hope it would work later. I did several test frames, adjusting lights, focus, white balance, in the camera and then trying to composite each test frame in Vegas until I got a result I was happy with. Only then did I start animating.

For the backdrop I used a regular blue poster board from the 99 Cents only store, the same paper board I normally use for the sky in my scenes, so you don't need any special or fancy background, just a solid color, and really put the time into lighting it evenly. Blue or green can be used, and even red. Actually I think any color can theoretically work, but the primary additive colors (RGB) I think work best. Obviously you don't want to use blue if your character is wearing blue clothing, but I think blue might work better for the yellow lego faces.

Last edited by thistof (August 13, 2018 (01:41pm))

Great!  I use Cyberlink power Direct 13.  It has green screen, but it is not the best...I am also having another problem.  My brickfilms have bars that are like running up the camera.  It looks very bad.  Does any one know why?

Do you have Vegas pro?

While dragon frame can't be used to green screen, it does have a feature that allows you to have a green screen aid where you can see what the final thing would look like. They have a video on it on this page, as well as many more tutorials that I recommend people watch.

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

PlasticPointProductions wrote:

My brickfilms have bars that are like running up the camera.  It looks very bad.  Does any one know why?

I've only ever had that problem on the C920, not on a DSLR, but for that webcam the solve was to add an ND filter or two in front of the lens and increase the exposure. It has to do with hertz and framerate stuff.

Okay. Did DragonFrame 3 have greenscreen?

No, neither Dragonframe 4 nor any of the versions before it had green screen.

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Oh, it looked like they had a tutorial on it though.

Dragon Brick Studios wrote:

While dragon frame can't be used to green screen, it does have a feature that allows you to have a green screen aid where you can see what the final thing would look like. They have a video on it on this page, as well as many more tutorials that I recommend people watch.

Great! Thanks for helping. I did not see this until just now. mini/blankexpression

I have another problem.  I had a shot that I animated that was in a darker setting. You could still see everything.  I had exported it and it looked the way that I had shot it. I shot some more, and when I re-exported it, it was VERY dark and you could hardly see anything.  When I went back to Dragonframe, I played it back and the lighting looked just fine again. I can't seem to render it properly. mini/sad  Does anyone know if I possibly hit something on accident? mini/what

I'm unsure what the problem is, could you provide some screenshots?

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I'm not sure if this is the issue but in case you are not aware, there are two preview modes, video assist and high-resolution. You'll want to have it on video assist while animating but look at it every once in a while at high-res as that is what the final thing will look like. You can also take test shots in the cinematography workspace when figuring out how to set up your shots by seeing what the final image will look like, which I recommend doing.

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

I exported it uncompressed and it is normal again. I don't know why.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for free movie editing software?

Hitfilm 4 Express is pretty good. The full version does cost some money, but you can do a surprising amount with the free version, and you can add extension packs that are reasonably priced.

Just looked it up. Pretty nice, I might have to try it. I have Cyberlink Power Director 13 but it is on my dad's computer and he works at home so it is hard to get on there.