Re: The Animation Challenge

I think this thread has run it's course, for now. I'm going to unsticky it and think about how we could fix this. It's a good idea, but it's absolutely too bloated and disorganized right now.

I enjoy most of the entries.
@Harborlight Productions. The earliest entry. Could've reshot some bits but nice.
@ Rioforce. Very good for your fist 24 FPS. I liked how you used the large scale saw but I'm pretty sure chainsaws are called chainsaws because it has a chain gear, not a chain. Could've built the big saw out of technic pieces but that would require LOTS of pieces and you'll have to buy them.
@Tenny. You had a nice buzzsaw, love the way it pulled the  "string"
@Cooked Cat. The cut was awesome but tree cut was a bit to fast, try slow down the frame rate a notch and the speed it up again. Loved the insides of the tree being taken away
@MBStudio. I must say the lighting was great except there wasn't much animation on in the chainsaw. The crumbs was pretty cool though.
@Rivmm. Wonderful! The chainsaw movement was very nice.
@Brick-Movie. It had one thing that no one else (apart from MB) did, splinters/chips/sparks were executed very well.
@Indy. Late. Not really a chainsaw. Sadly disqualified even though I liked it.

With Rivmm's chainsaw and Brick-Movie's sparks/splinters it could be perfect.

So the winner is Rivmm because I was looking for a good way of having the chainsaw look like it is spinning. Brick-Movie would have won if my focus was on the cutting.

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

@KD2000, didnt I do chips too?
well, congrags Rivmm, let the games begin.

Cooked Cat wrote:

@KD2000, didnt I do chips too?

Uhh, yes. Oops sorry. Forgot to include you in the chips list.

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

I was gonna say! mini/tongue
so, plans for next challenge? of has that been postponed mods?

Cooked Cat wrote:

I was gonna say! mini/tongue
so, plans for next challenge? of has that been postponed mods?

We are planning on remaking the animation challenge, so I don't think we are going to have another one here.
See here http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … challenge/

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

Thank you, Kd2000, for picking me!
As Harborlight said, the animation challenge is probably going to be restarting soon, so I (as of now) will not be picking a new topic yet. However, if people think I should start one before the new topic is up, I will.

"...just take stuff apart.  Be heartless, do not develop feelings for these sets..." -Squid
YouTube
My standards: Philippians 4:8

I think Nathan said he's just going to unsticky it and let it go on. And they might do something a little different for the next one.

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

While the fate of the animation challenge is unknown for the time being, how about we do another challenge?

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Yes, lets. Let the challenge be new or old!

Name the challenge. I'll be sure to try participate!

How about hitting things with a mallet, like this:

mallet

rioforce wrote:

how about we do another challenge?

Agreed.

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

sure, whens the deadline? can I use some CGI? as, what the challenge is about is what happens to stuff when it gets hit aye?

The challenge has not been decided, Cooked Cat, Issac was just submitting a suggestion. It's up to Rivvm m to pick the topic. If he doesn't choose one in the next few days, we can come up with one ourselves.

Personally, I'd like to try out bow and arrow shooting.

Last edited by rioforce (March 3, 2015 (04:14pm))

YouTubeWebsite

its been done before but yea, I'd be keen at that too.

rioforce wrote:

While the fate of the animation challenge is unknown for the time being, how about we do another challenge?

Why not.

I like the sound of Littlebrick's idea below.

Littlebrick from the "How would you fix the Animation Challenge" thread wrote:

think the Animation Challenge is good as a prompt, but the idea of having winners seems pointless to me. If it were something like the 11 Second Club, where the best entry got a professional critique, then that would make a winner necessary.
Actually, I would like to see that happen here. I honestly don't feel like there's much incentive or drive to improve ones' skills on this site; the people who do are already pretty self-driven. Someone posts a film, and generally people either don't comment on it, because it's not a very good film, or if it is a good film, all anyone talks about is how good it is — and here I'll note that there are exceptions, but not enough.
So before I spend the next hour trying to put together a post elaborating on that point, I'll just say this: if the animation challenge continues (in a different form), have the reward be a critique. And lets stop focusing solely on things that you'll probably never animate. Instead, take something normal, even boring, and do something different with it. I never get enough of MisterMulluc's Major Malfunction simply because of the way the characters move, like how the top hat on the third man is rarely still as he walks. It's little details like that that makes me love animation. Animation isn't simply about making an inanimate object move; it's about making it come alive.
[/endrant]
P.S. Since I just looked at the Animation Challenge thread again and found that there were actually challenges like "interesting/unique walk cycles," let me propose this idea. Animate situations, not actions (like WillowTree suggested, but not always with dialog). How does the character react? Does he react? Cartoony or serious? So on. Make us believe this character is thinking and alive.
Last edited by Littlebrick (February 20, 2015 (03:11pm))

I am not sure how someone make a challenge like the one suggested above. I love brickfilms where the animation breaks the fourth wall. Sometimes I love it when it looks realistic. I don't think any of us would mind if we experiment with different animation challenges for a while.
Most challenges that we see are action based, let's try out animating:

• reaction

• lip sync animation

• 24 FPS

• animating a person walking with piles of bricks surrounding it and reduce as many set bumps

• camera shots eg. dolly, pan, tilt, vertigo etc.

• or even just testing which one of us can animate the smoothest (based on a YouTube comment from Suburbs, he stated that to achieve smooth animation, you must learn how to animate slowly, then work on easing in and out).

There lots more I can think of that aren't to do with action.
I want to see your opinions on my suggestions, after all this is an animation (action) challenge so they might not belong.

-KD123456789

Youtube

-FilmyGuy1

Kd2000 wrote:

Most challenges that we see are action based, let's try out animating:

• reaction

• lip sync animation

• 24 FPS

• animating a person walking with piles of bricks surrounding it and reduce as many set bumps

• camera shots eg. dolly, pan, tilt, vertigo etc.

• or even just testing which one of us can animate the smoothest (based on a YouTube comment from Suburbs, he stated that to achieve smooth animation, you must learn how to animate slowly, then work on easing in and out).

You are right, that most of the challenges are action based. I like your ideas up there (except for lip syncing, that's not an animation technique, that's post production magic). The "walking with piles of bricks surrounding it and reduce as many set bumps" one is in a gray area, because animators are supposed to secure everything in their set with tac, so that's not much of an animation technique, it's more of a "see who has the most secure set". The last one with the smooth animation is supposed to be practiced all the time, so with any challenge, we all need to be trying to make the smoothest animation possible. mini/wink

I would animate any of those things, though, they all sound great.

YouTubeWebsite

I would like to try the camera shot challenge, as I need to greatly improve that.

Slurping Animations wrote:

I would like to try the camera shot challenge, as I need to greatly improve that.

That chllenge was done during my time entering challenges (no-post though), doing it again could get some nice entries. mini/smile