Re: The Video Game Discussion Topic!

Squash wrote:

Babump.

The next few days are the open beta for Blizzard's new FPS/MOBA Overwatch. I'm not sure how much I'll get to play (my best chance is probably some time Saturday) but if anyone else was checking it out on PC, I'd be glad to join a group of friendly faces. My battletag is Vogelmensch#1312.

My sister, brother, and I tried Overwatch yesterday.  All three of us ended up playing most of the day, and stayed up super late.

Overall, I'd say it's really good.  The first-person gameplay feels great, and the maps are designed in such a way that there aren't many down points in the fighting.  I also really like the play of the game feature, which excellently highlights whoever got what the game itself considered the the best elimination of multiple enemies for the previes match, and then replays that highlight for everyone else to see.

Right now I'm really liking Soldier 76, Bastion, And D.Va.  Although I feel like Roadhog is a little OP right now.  And I seem to have at least one in every game I play.  I've been trying to get some experience as Zenyatta, since his discord orbs can be especially detrimental to Tank characters.

I'm gonna get me this game.

Yeah, I'm enjoying it a lot so far. The map design is nice in that pretty much everywhere leads to the objective so there are are a lot of flank routes but it's hard to get lost. I like how they've worked in vertical space for heroes with strong mobility.

I agree on Roadhog, though he is fun to play and currently the character I've had the most success with. I think he could be fixed by just giving his heal a longer cool-down. Genji's movement feels really good, and I like Reinhardt for his shield mechanic. Of the support characters, Lucio is my favorite so far. It's great being able to offer a buff without having to micromanage which players are getting it.

I may be interested in trying out Overwatch at some point.  The characters and overall design aesthetic/storyline looks pretty neat.  A lot of people seem to be comparing it to Team Fortress 2, so I'm curious to see how close they are.  I may yet see you on the battlefield, Bird-Man #1312.

My other summer gaming plan is to play Fallout 4.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Mr Vertigo wrote:

I may yet see you on the battlefield, Bird-Man #1312.

I tried adding that name with the dash, but there were no matches.  I tried it without the dash and found someone.  I joined them in a game last where they were Tracer with an origins skin and I was Zenyatta, but on enemy teams.  I just barely managed to eliminate them in a quick close duel on the sidelines.
That you?

It's say Overwatch is definitely at least inspired by TF2, but different enough that it's own thing.  I really like how Overwatch uses a lot of things that aren't usually in a first-person shooter.  It's got guns, sure, but also some more interesting things like a guy who throws shurikens at people instead of shooting, or a monk type character who shoots energy at people with his hands.

Something I've also noticed is that almost every projectile in this game has at least a little bit of travel time, some more than others, even ballistic weapons.  In other first person shooters I've played, like TF2 and Fallout 4, guns shoot out scanlines which check to see if they're intersecting with anything and then instantly deal damage to it, whereas in Overwatch it's more often that I eliminate someone as they eliminate me, since whoever dies first still has some bullets in the air.
I know that's a really small thing, but I really like it.

I agree that the lack of hit scan weapons really changes the way the game plays, and it's really interesting and different. I'm really enjoying Overwatch, though I haven't been playing shooters in a while, and boy does it show. I'll probably be playing quite a bit today, I'm Ferbinator#1383.

Squid wrote:
Mr Vertigo wrote:

I may yet see you on the battlefield, Bird-Man #1312.

I tried adding that name with the dash, but there were no matches.  I tried it without the dash and found someone.  I joined them in a game last where they were Tracer with an origins skin and I was Zenyatta, but on enemy teams.  I just barely managed to eliminate them in a quick close duel on the sidelines.
That you?

Oh, I was referencing Squash's Overwatch username, since "Vogelmensch" roughly means "Bird-man" in German.  I haven't yet gotten into the open beta (not even sure how exactly you get an access key).  But yeah, I'm thinking I'll give it a shot, once I figure out how everything works.  What's your username?

EDIT: Well, I've now downloaded and installed this Overwatch thing, and so far I'm dying a lot.  But it's still fun.  My username is "MrSmiley" in case you would like to challenge me, although I'm in the European region right now.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (May 7, 2016 (01:28pm))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Deleted by Sir Snorlax

Last edited by Sir Snorlax (June 28, 2017 (06:21pm))

"Of course I'm lucky, I'm a leprechaun!"-Fred the Leprechaun
I hope no one has realized I like emojjies mini/shifty

I just found HALO for the Atari 2600!  The cartridge is rare and expensive, but until my Christmas lis comes around, ther'es a web site that allows you to play it online!

http://www.kongregate.com/games/EdFries/halo-2600

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

I think I have a problem, I am obsessed with overwatch right now. I've tried out every character so far but still have no preference at all. People have really been spamming mei in many matches. One thing that I have really found out is that when Tracer is picked in the weekly brawl that has 150% recharge rate, tracer is practically invincible. One thing that I am wondering is if they'll add more people onto this, I think that using the same characters over and over will become repetitive at some point, but if they do, I think they'll have to start with PC. The Xbox one version though is awesome, I love this game.   mini/lol

I HAVE RETURNED!!!
Youtube
PunBB bbcode test

I think the general consensus right now is that Blizzard is probably going to continue adding on to the game for years, with new maps and heroes. They aren't exactly the type to release a game and then move on to something else.

Does anyone play Magic: The Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers?

backyardlegos wrote:

I think the general consensus right now is that Blizzard is probably going to continue adding on to the game for years, with new maps and heroes. They aren't exactly the type to release a game and then move on to something else.

Blizzard has confirmed that they will be releasing more heroes later.  But for now it's just going to be the current group for a while.  As for when the next major update will happen, I don't think that they've set any dates.

In some of the videos there is concept art for possible unreleased heroes, like the Hazmat guy from the first cinematic trailer, along with some other interesting fellows in the background.

Genji was also shown in the same video in some art near the beginning long before he was officially introduced some time later.

They've also discussed bringing in a new Doomfist character to wear the gauntlet in the numbani map and the cinematic (there were three previous Doomfists), but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Something I'd really like to see is more "villain" heroes.  Right now there aren't even enough to build a full team of them.  Which is weird because matches usually end up being a bunch of good guys fighting a bunch of good guys with a random bad guy helping them for some reason.  Although there are some conflicts in there.  For instance Lucio fought against the Symetra's corporation at one point and stole their sonic tech so he could become a weird science bard with magical healing powers.

Overall I'm still really enjoying Overwatch.  And even if it takes a while for the to release new heroes, there are still so many right now, and it brings up some really interesting combat situations.

Speaking of OverWatch...
http://piskel-imgstore-b.appspot.com/img/fe21dbb3-e35b-11e6-89e9-f1166692b30f.gif
Cooked this up today. mini/smile

"Of course I'm lucky, I'm a leprechaun!"-Fred the Leprechaun
I hope no one has realized I like emojjies mini/shifty

I'm thinking on getting Star Fox Zero but I'm not sure I think it might help me out with my Star Fox series, if anyone has played it let me know what you think.

YouTube

I'm a Brickfilmer that loves smooth animation and attention to detail.

I recently bought Downwell on Steam there. It is quite an addictive game.
I recommend it.

I watched my brother play the new Zelda for Switch, then Parappa the Rapper.  Started singing along with nostalgia.

Anyone here play PUBG? I'm looking for some dudes to play with, much better in a team. My steam name is Steen Machine, hit me up. (Any UK people would be awesome)

Does anyone here play Pokemon Duel? Just curious.

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

I am currently playing video game is pokemon y and This is my most favorite game.