Re: Café Corner

Does anyone know of any good places to learn musical instruments? I have a guitar and piano but am not a prodigy and must learn how to actually do these things instead of just doing them without effort but my brain is old and doesn't want to learn but also wants to make cool musics helps mes plz mini/tongue

It kinda depends what you want to do. If your end goal is to play with other people, you probably wouldn't go wrong starting with a book on music theory (Edly's Music Theory for Practical People is pretty good) and working through it to get those foundations laid out early. If you're just wanting to play alone or in informal settings, learning some chords to your favorite songs on the guitar isn't a bad way to start. There are guitar tutorials on Youtube for most popular songs, if you're a visual learner. You can always work on the theory as you go along in either scenario, it's just difficult to communicate with other musicians if you don't know the basics.

I think what's really important about learning an instrument (or anything for that matter) in the beginning is to have fun with it, which means playing music that interests you. I'm not a music instructor and I'm not a master of any instrument despite being competent with a few so take my advice with a grain of salt, but IMO if you aren't having fun, you'll struggle to keep playing. And since practice is the key to really learning something, finding a way to make it enjoyable for yourself- particularly when you're in the early stages and struggling to sound decent, is a must.

EDIT: Also, buy a beginners book for whatever instrument you're playing. They're cheap and they should lay out correct technique for whatever instrument you're using so you'll avoid picking up bad habits in your early practice.

Mine was nice. Sunday was the one year anniversary since my girlfriend and I started dating. mini/love
We went to church, over to a church members house with some friends, the evening church service, then ate supper outside here on campus and talked for a while underneath what few stars we can see here in the city. It was nice.

Looking ahead, I've got my CDL drive test tomorrow, so let's hope I actually pass it this time. mini/shifty

Well Rio, I have no idea where you live, so I can't be very specific. Obviously. (Otherwise that would be creepy)

Do you have any music/instrument stores around you? Those usually offer lessons.
Have you tried looking around in your community for anyone offering lessons? You local Church/Library/Community Center may have flyers or people that are willing to teach you. I dunno, some colleges may even offer lessons.

Just a word of caution, make sure whoever is teaching you actually knows what they are doing, and actually how to teach somebody else. Otherwise, it'll be a disaster. And make sure they will stick around for a while, as the guy that was giving me lessons many years ago started, then about a month and a half later he promptly moved three states away.

I'm currently kinda self-teaching myself guitar via Youtube and other such resources, and it's fun. It's worth the effort and time, but can be a bit boring at the very beginning. Like brickfilming, it demands practice and time and patience before you can see any results.

When I learned piano I was with a teacher for about 2-3 years, then from there I have been teaching myself. Once you pickup on piano, or any instrument for that matter you will find it easier to learn, especially if you are motivated to improve.

/

Last edited by Noah (May 27, 2017 (11:50am))

Formerly known as HeliumBrick

Were you banned? And do the mods know about this?

/

Last edited by Noah (May 27, 2017 (11:50am))

Formerly known as HeliumBrick

well, let me be the first to wish everyone a happy and blessed Easter Sunday.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Happy Easter. God bless!

Happy Easter, everyone!

YouTube

"If you find a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

I had a nice Easter, visited some relatives after church and did a little "Easter Egg Hunting" a la Bricks Brought to Life using nerf guns.  mini/lol

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B-S9Gk-8REITRVJVQXVwZkdBRk0
“But the enterprise in which I’m about to embark on is fraught with imminent peril.”

This was probably the first Easter I didn't spend with my family. Normally I stay home for Easter weekend before coming back up to uni, but my parents were going on a cruise on Maundy Thursday with my grandmother, so I came up early. I got a small chocolate rabbit from them and a box of Lindt from my other grandmother but I didn't really see anyone or do anything. All a bit new as Easters go, and not exactly a welcome feeling.

Still, I did get my Easter special out on time, even if it has almost nothing to do with Easter itself.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Yes, the ending was most unexpected! mini/lol

On a different topic, apparently, Nexo Knights and Dimensions will be discontinued at the end of 2017?! mini/what

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Lego Figure Productions wrote:

On a different topic, apparently, Nexo Knights and Dimensions will be discontinued at the end of 2017?! mini/what

Nexo Knights: kinda to be expected. It never really seemed to gain the traction it was clearly intended for.

Dimensions: Noooooooo! That's a shame. I've really enjoyed both the games and the minifigures.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I just saw this stop motion that Lego put on their channel and was wondering if anyone knows who made it.  The video has a unique style that I don't think I've seen before and would like to see more of this person's or group's work if possible.

I could be wrong, but I think it might be Bionicle28. The animation in the Luke's Landspeeder short reminds me of the cartoony style as seen in their recent brickfilms.

That's a good guess. Hopefully they tweet it out if it was them.

There are links to films they have made for the LEGO Group on the wiki, if you want to see more and try to compare.

I was thinking that it's based on this Tongal project, but I'm unsure because it says it's still in preproduction. But that could be Tongal not updating the page. Notice the Idea by Immortal Entertainment is strikingly similar to the video itself.

But based on the video alone, it definitely looks like Something's Awry. He has a really distinct animation style.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Thanks Willow Tree and Penta, after re-watching The Adventures of Kentucky Jackson I feel like the styles are a pretty good match. 

Rioforce, I'm thinking that it must have been for that Tongal project.  Thanks for linking it.

jampot wrote:
Lego Figure Productions wrote:

Nexo Knights: kinda to be expected. It never really seemed to gain the traction it was clearly intended for.

Dimensions: Noooooooo! That's a shame. I've really enjoyed both the games and the minifigures.

Well, the rumour about Nexo Knights has been withdrawn (and there was me thinking we could now have a proper castle theme mini/rolleyes) but the Dimensions rumour is still going around mini/sad also it looks like the Star Wars Ep.8 sets are going to be a lot more expensive on average than usual mini/madhead

I'm hoping we might get some good news soon.

Last edited by Dragon Brick Studios (April 24, 2017 (01:48pm))

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Yo guys mini/wink . Haven't been doing much brick-filming in a while. Any tips on how get to back in the game?
(I've been animating sometime on and off. I feel like I lost my skill. mini/dizzy )

Making Motion  Youtube