Topic: Fighting the Animator - Lego vs. Human

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ya-bijmkJe4
This is a battle between the innocent minifigs and the Animator who is bored and decides to to weird things and stuff up the lego world. Watch to find out who wins.

I know this is not the normal sort of brickfilm that you see, but it was a concept that I expanded on and made into a movie. It was the first time I really used music to fit the mood. I think it's also my longest brickfilm yet. Anyways hope you all enjoy!

Minifigs resemble humans, apart from having no knees, 360 degree turning heads and hands, non-functioning elbows and frozen spines.
Plus they have no life. That's where you need an animator.
Animation can do anything!

Re: Fighting the Animator - Lego vs. Human

Well...

Let's start with the animation.  There was a lot of light flicker, and the entire thing was choppy.  You need to set up up lights wherever you animate.  Practicing your animation will help the choppiness, as well as animating at 15 fps.  The "ship" had essentially no effort put into it.  It was just a plate. I understand the whole free-roaming minifigs concept, but I don't think it was pulled off very well.  I expected something totally different from what the title says, the animator didn't have a huge role in the film. The story was odd, a tad hard to follow.  You need voice actors.  We can't well who's talking, and it's not fun to listen to.  Also, don't overuse cue cards.  It's a cliche. 

Definitely work on it.  I'm %100 sure you put effort into this, but there needs to be more.

"I am Kansas" -Smeagol
http://heythats.cool

It wasn't great. The frame rate was low and there was a lot of recycled animation (particularly during the talking) and light flicker was prominent throughout. Also, you really didn't need a whole minute of credits at the end, especially as it was all you. You only need to say 'Animation, sets and voices: Me'. And I don't like people who ask you to subscribe. mini/wink

On the plus side, it's evident that you really put some effort in and I liked the traveling music. Just keep working at it and you'll certainly become a great animator.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Ahem!

GET DA BOOM MICROPHONE OUT OV MA FAAAACCCEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What "Ahem!". It's not like it's a direct copy of that, and if it was, it wouldn't be such a big deal.

My old YouTube is since long ago defunct - now even removed.
Here is my new one.

Hazzat wrote:

It wasn't great. The frame rate was low and there was a lot of recycled animation (particularly during the talking) and light flicker was prominent throughout. Also, you really didn't need a whole minute of credits at the end, especially as it was all you. You only need to say 'Animation, sets and voices: Me'. And I don't like people who ask you to subscribe. mini/wink

On the plus side, it's evident that you really put some effort in and I liked the traveling music. Just keep working at it and you'll certainly become a great animator.

Why the frame rate looks bad is probably because I haven't tweaked my software ideally, it is still going at 15 fps. Light flicker was because there aren't enough powerpoints to put the light in everywhere I went. Yeah sorry about the credits I got that from darthmilo77 and the please subscribe and comment I got from forrestfire101. Because forrestfire101 is (I think) the most popular stop motion person on youtube (about 26K subscribers) I thought that'd work.

Yes I know it was a failure, I only did it in 2 weeks. And I suppose I am only 12 and I've been doing 15 fps for about a month and a half.

It's funny youtube has mostly responded great to this. Seems BiM has a higher standard than youtube.

I hope I can get better otherwise there's no point sticking around BiM.

Minifigs resemble humans, apart from having no knees, 360 degree turning heads and hands, non-functioning elbows and frozen spines.

LegoShark wrote:

Well...

Let's start with the animation.  There was a lot of light flicker, and the entire thing was choppy.  You need to set up up lights wherever you animate.  Practicing your animation will help the choppiness, as well as animating at 15 fps.  The "ship" had essentially no effort put into it.  It was just a plate. I understand the whole free-roaming minifigs concept, but I don't think it was pulled off very well.  I expected something totally different from what the title says, the animator didn't have a huge role in the film. The story was odd, a tad hard to follow.  You need voice actors.  We can't well who's talking, and it's not fun to listen to.  Also, don't overuse cue cards.  It's a cliche. 

Definitely work on it.  I'm %100 sure you put effort into this, but there needs to be more.

I've covered the animation and lighting in reply to Hazzat. Plus anyway I was animating at 15fps, honest. It was supposed to be a hovercraft that they just made in a very short time. If the animator did have a huge role in the film they would be dead very quick. Maybe I should do something explaining the story so people don't miss understand everything. I know I need voice actors except I like to get things done fast and you can't do that with voice actors. What are cue cards?

I'm sorry I'm in a bad mood, but everyone (apart from youtube, they responded great) has responded bad.

You tempt me to give up brickfilming. It's only youtube that stops me from doing that.

You might as well quit now if you have an attitude like that. The whole reason of posting your films here is to get suggestions on how to improve your film. You can't expect everyone to love it. Don't get mad at people for telling you what you did wrong and what you could use improvement on, I started out way worse then you, but thanks to the constructive criticism I have gotten a lot better. Listen to the community instead of shunning them and you will improve a lot.

And please don't say that you are tempted quit brickfilming only because someone didn't like your film. I made films way worse than you and
I didn't quit, listen to advice and you are bound to improve. mini/bigsmile Every single brickfilmer had to start out somewhere. Even the greatest ones sucked at one point in time.

Last edited by Spudster (January 19, 2009 (05:25pm))

I agree completely with Spudster. No offense gamerX59, but stopping brickfilming just because you got constructive criticism is quite immature. You should be encouraged that the kind people here cared enough to share their valuable knowledge with you. I also used to suck at brickfilming, but now I have improved due to these masters here, and I am still getting better.

Yes, something that you need to learn quickly is that Youtube has the lowest standard for content on the internet.  And regarding that bit about the "getting it done fast" thing... no.  Stop-motion isn't to be rushed.  If you're going to quit (which you shouldn't), don't quit because of constructive criticism, quit from lack of patience. 

You're only a month in.  I suggest practicing a bit, then releasing another film.  You're beter than I was a month and a half in.

"I am Kansas" -Smeagol
http://heythats.cool

gamerX59 wrote:

Seems BiM has a higher standard than youtube.

Oh, definetly. The thing is that most people on YouTube have never seen one of these before, so they're still amazed that the LEGO men are moving, whereas we have seen it all. We know what makes a good brickfilm. We know what can ruin one. We can help you improve. I get the 'lol!' 'tht was awesome!' 'first!' thing from YouTube as well, but I much prefer the feedback I get here. These guys can tell what I'm doing wrong and (usually) know how to fix it.

Don't leave because we want to see you improve.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

I personally thought the film was good from a storyline perspective, it had humour, pretty cool music, and didn't have a lot of the problems that beginning animators normaly have.The introduction set it up to be really epic.

However it did have lots of OTHER problems beginners have, such as:Set bumps. The set jiggled lots because you touched the camera or whatever the camera was sitting on as you moved the minifigure or took the picture.
Sound acting: As far as i could hear, you were the only voice actor in the film, and i made it difficult to tell when different people were talking.
I can't complain TOO much about the "ship", as it made me think of The mMagic Portal, which was epic because it was the pioneer brickfilm.It was sort of bland but it fit well with the rest of the film.

For some of your shots (not the last one where they were frozen) you could tell that you were playing the same frame over and over again, instead of taking a new pic. Trust me, it looks better if you take several pictures for all scenes, evevn if no one is moving. The exception is your last shot, it would have looked odd if you did that.

I didn't quite get the bit where most of em where sleeping or something except for two, perhaps they had gone back to base and were being lazybums?

Red classic.
Free will carried many a soul to hell, but never a soul to heaven. -Charles H. Spurgeon

though that film sucked, when i was a month into brickfilming my films were complete rubbish with no audio and no story line, your doing OK.

zany_001 wrote:

I personally thought the film was good from a storyline perspective, it had humour, pretty cool music, and didn't have a lot of the problems that beginning animators normaly have.The introduction set it up to be really epic.

However it did have lots of OTHER problems beginners have, such as:Set bumps. The set jiggled lots because you touched the camera or whatever the camera was sitting on as you moved the minifigure or took the picture.
Sound acting: As far as i could hear, you were the only voice actor in the film, and i made it difficult to tell when different people were talking.
I can't complain TOO much about the "ship", as it made me think of The mMagic Portal, which was epic because it was the pioneer brickfilm.It was sort of bland but it fit well with the rest of the film.

For some of your shots (not the last one where they were frozen) you could tell that you were playing the same frame over and over again, instead of taking a new pic. Trust me, it looks better if you take several pictures for all scenes, evevn if no one is moving. The exception is your last shot, it would have looked odd if you did that.

I didn't quite get the bit where most of em where sleeping or something except for two, perhaps they had gone back to base and were being lazybums?

Yeah thanks for bringing out some positive points.

I know I still have my problems, and as a beginner.

And yes I think I'm starting to learn my lesson on repeating footage.

Oh you know how they fell back in the middle of the battle and they got stuck because the animator smashed their engine?  They then headed for land and decided to be lazy slobs, leaving the other guys to do the dirty work.

To everyone else, I admit I over reacted. I've been having a bad day and I wasn't in a good mood. I didn't really mean the thing about leaving brickfilming, because it's a hobby. I'm sorry.

Basically, everything I wanted to say about the film has been said above, but I'd like to repeat that, at least imho, the best aspect of your film was the storyline. I quite enjoyed it.

The technique of SMA can be obtained relatively easy (altough it may seem not, right now), just by practicing. Coming up with stories, though, is an altogether different matter (just take a look at the ideas section of the forum), and by far the most important. By going your own way there, you do show promise (even if not much more).

-PG

Version 1 of the the screenplay for episode 2 of The Stunt is finishised, and I really, really] await your critique!