Re: [Feedback] Resources

You could rip some old BF resources, and go a little more in depth.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/minifig77/banners/logo.png
click me for my YouTube!

1. Get some supplies such as lamps, camera, LEGO (duh) animation are and then set it all up.
Suggestions:
Webcam as a camera
TAPE YOUR SET
ETC. ETC. ETC.

2. Get animating! don't rush it, it takes time. Keep lighting consistant, DONT USE FREAKIN' WMM TO ANIMATE, be wary of the evil set bump demon.
Suggestions:
Use good software like MonkeyJam, SMA, Helium Frog, Anasazi

3. Edit your film. Have people review it. If you use WMM (its OK for titles) don't use the blue and white title scheme.
Suggestions:
Use a good software such as Wax, or Axogon (can be obtained from a nice person...)
Don't go overboard with transitions
Make sure its not only to YOUR liking, but that of others!

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

I think the beginners' guide should be as bare-bones as possible. Going into things like scripting software is unnecessary.

The resource section could look like this:

Beginners' guide
See my description above. This would be heavily coordinated, and written by only a few people.

Basic tutorials
These would be user-submitted, but would only cover relatively basic topics (two-lamp lighting, walk cycles, white expanse, basic visual effects, etc.) and would be understandable to anyone with a very basic knowledge of brickfilming (i.e from the beginners' guide). I think it might be a good idea to write this only in terms of free software.

Advanced tutorials
These would be written towards the average brickfilmer with a full grasp of the essentials of brickfilming. These would be more specific, with in-depth explanations of certain problems and situations.

On Brickfilming
I envision this as a place where brickfilmers could write more theoretical stuff, such as essays, interviews, or in-depth reviews of a certain group of films.

In my view, something like an inspiration to cinematography should be included so that young people start having the wish to create visually appealing shots as soon as possible.

If we want to submit articles etc for the resources section.

How do we do it ?
What formats are acceptable ?
To whom do we send them ?

Thanks

Would it be okay if I made a Powerpoint presentation on this? I think it would really help.

EDIT: I mean like once we get the page up and running. Could i make one that gives step by step tutorials on how to do it. Like a Presentation on movie maker.

Last edited by Droid (December 28, 2008 (11:28am))

There is also a need for a story/script writing tutorial. There were many threads of people complaining about how they had 'no ideas' for films.
And section about where/how to purchase your bricks/materials. (I've had people email me about this question.)

Also, are hand illustrated tutorials necessary? I'm not against the idea of a basic hand written guide, but can there be video tutorials? Like the Animation Class series. With the popularity of tutorials on YouTube, this might be a key way to bringing more people here.

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

dewfilms wrote:

There is also a need for a story/script writing tutorial. There were many threads of people complaining about how they had 'no ideas' for films.
And section about where/how to purchase your bricks/materials. (I've had people email me about this question.)

Also, are hand illustrated tutorials necessary? I'm not against the idea of a basic hand written guide, but can there be video tutorials? Like the Animation Class series. With the popularity of tutorials on YouTube, this might be a key way to bringing more people here.

Now that you think about it, it would be much easier to put together and a lot more fun. I also think that multiple members contributing to this would really help. Such as one member covers animation while another covers editing etc...

Si665 wrote:

If we want to submit articles etc for the resources section.

How do we do it ?
What formats are acceptable ?
To whom do we send them ?

Thanks

I'd like to know as well, and I think I prefer Night Owl's second proposition.

Riley wrote:

I'd like to know as well, and I think I prefer Night Owl's second proposition.

I aswell like Night Owls idea, nice and simple, and then we can add sub catogories to them aswell, but for the advanced and nooby tuts we have the same subs, but advanced (of course) would be more in depth, with more technicle languange and stuff.

Pokemon Heart Gold]-coming soon
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5372/bannerapf.jpg

I think we should mix the hand written with the visualy apealing. Make some kind ok FAQ or WIKI or resourses or whatever else, Then you add links from these written sorces to the video tutoreals. It will work both ways. Maybe a little more work sure, but for a great cause.

Well I will submit my tutorials to Schlaeps once I know what formats he wants to use. My tutorials are aimed at the real beginners and if you watch my first tutorial on the link below I think you will see that it is a good start for beginners.

How about everyone makes a tutorial on their specialty (like brickhelp) and then we mush them all into the resources section.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/minifig77/banners/logo.png
click me for my YouTube!

well you can use me and hazzats youtube account BRICKHELP
www.youtube.com/brickhelp

Project Secret

Hey Schlaeps, I sent you a PM and an email one or two weeks ago. I would like if you could reply mini/bigsmile.

My old YouTube is since long ago defunct - now even removed.
Here is my new one.

If somebody hasn't already asked this (I'm not going to read every post here...), can I start some kind of sound library like on Brickfilms.com?

-Cougar
formerly
Jerry Hunte

You can make a sound library of your own if you want, we won't stop you, if the sounds are good im sure it would help people.

JerryHunte wrote:

If somebody hasn't already asked this (I'm not going to read every post here...), can I start some kind of sound library like on Brickfilms.com?

I made this thread.

http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … ts-thread/

It's not very big at the moment though.

_2014

Personally, I would like to do a tips/tutorial about how to buy cheap bricks. Plus, I get asked this question often. I wasn't sure if Nathan Wells was doing a tutorial about this subject since he is creating a series of "How to" videos on YouTube.

The only downside would be that y'all would know most if not all of my brick-thrify secrets. mini/tongue

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

Did you get the PM?! It's been quite a while now!

My old YouTube is since long ago defunct - now even removed.
Here is my new one.