Topic: [THAC 8] The Beast

Directory Link

The Beast

Youtube

I made this for THAC8 (The eighth annual twenty four hour animating contest) however it wasn't finished until about half an hour past the deadline, thereby disqualifying it. Oh well, there'a always next year.

Also this is my first attempt as greenscreening Lego. Note I'm not totally happy about the overall quality of this, but considering it was made from concept to the final render in 24.5 hours, I can live with it.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Re: [THAC 8] The Beast

Review

Damn, you and Daragh planned to have me killed didn't you? Another awe-inspiring entry, but completely different to the others. I haven't seen a serious brickfilm in a while, and this was a pleasant surprise. Sure maybe it wasn't as long as others, but it had style. Such a pity you couldn't make the deadline, because you would have been a real contender. A huge congratulations for everything!

Story: 6/10
Animation: 9/10
Cinematography: 8/10
Set Design: 6/10
Entertainment Factor: 8/10
Overall: 37/50

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Aww shame this didn't make the deadline, it's a serious winner mini/yes

Lg Productions
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd413/Lgmaster6/TheBoxManSigniture.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. Whilst I'm a bit disappointed in missing the deadline (I KNEW I shouldn't have taken a two hour nap at 8am!) I did try out a lot of new things in this brickfilm, most prominently greenscreening so I don't consider it a waste. It's all learning.

As it turns out, you can't fight destiny. Or Dragons.

Last edited by Sean (December 19, 2010 (08:41am))

Its amazing. Shame it didnt make it

Ahhh so YOU'RE brickhead mini/lol

Nice film Sean, stunning visuals, pity it didn't get entered.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/daragh2me/Avatarsposters/allworkandnoplay2.png

That was pretty dang awesome. Shame it was late, it would have at least placed 3rd.

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

You say it took you 24.5 hours to finish it? did you submit it at 13:00 GMT?
Because if you submitted it at 12:30 GMT. it would have been 24 hours from the anouncment. (Something you should look at NXT)

Anyway it was a nice film I enjoyed it. The fire was well done as was the animation.
But the clifhanger seemed a little too large imo.

"every day I feel more pleased that sigging isn't a thing anymore" - Squash
YOUTUBE | Will voice act, ping me in the discord.
03:52    Smeagol    I should send girls turds in a box
01:28    Smeagol    That signature leaves me wondering if I should be sending more girls more turds in boxes than I presently am

Wow. I never thought I would see a Dragon movie in THAC, but I guess there is a first for everything.

Considering it was made in 24 hours, technically, its flawless. I particularly like the slow motion circle shot at the beginning/end...I just thought it was excellently done. Stuff like that makes me REALLY jealous.....

YouTube
Max, She/They

Even if you made the deadline, you would still get disqualified for two things:
1. It was too damn good for THAC
2. In the first and last scene, the color mod was left out for a little bit because of the fire effect.

Cartoonkid98 - The deadline was adjusted by 40 minutes due to the contest starting 40 minutes last. I finished 30 minutes after that. I didn't make it and I won't deny that fact.

Living LEGO - I checked with NXT whilst the contest was still open and the obscuration of the mod element by the effects would not disqualify it. If need be, I could provide the raw unedited footage as proof. Nevertheless there were still a couple of shots where I did forget the mod element.

Woops, wrong film I criticized (embarassed.)

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RealBrick/Sigs/base.pnghttp://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RealBrick/Sigs/youtube2.pnghttp://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/RealBrick/Sigs/youtube.png
Sig made by RealBrick mini/bigsmile.

That was good, too bad it was disqualified.

Don't be fooled, my avatar is a facade of conformity.

mini/jaw This was me when I saw this.

Back In Black!

I want to know how you made this... could you show a tutorial on that beginning sequence?

Brickfilmer a decade ago, now looking to relive the glory days mini/smile

Wow, this is fantastic! Loved the animation and the effects. Very high production values.

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

I wouldn't mind doing a tutorial on it DerTarchin, but I don't have time at the moment to put one together. I want to do a series of tutorials at one stage, I'll add a 360 degree spin to the list.

Sean wrote:

I wouldn't mind doing a tutorial on it DerTarchin.

was the fire effect made in blender, or something like adobe after effects?

I made it using the Trapcode Particular plugin for After Effects.

This was so expertly done... there was nothing about it that I didn't like!  Fantastic job, Sean!! mini/bigsmile