Axogon Composer (link)
- Axogon Composer is a free video effects program made to create quality videos at broadcast quality. This freeware can also composite.
- Cinefx is an offline playback, editing, encoding, animation and visual effects tool based on the Jahshaka technology that allows you to create professional digital media on your desktop. Use the tools that hollywood uses to create blockbuster films and special effects.
CineGobs Keyer (link)
- Easy to use chroma keyer, color difference keyer and difference keyer.
Debugmode Wax 2.0 (link)
- A free compositing, editing, and visual effects package. Considered somewhat buggy (make sure you back up your project regularly), but very powerful.
- GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It works on many operating systems, in many languages.
- An exceptionally powerful and versatile professional video editing package, recently released for free to the public. (This was the software used to edit The King's Speech.)
LS maker (link)
- LS maker or Light Saber Maker is a simple free tool for making lightsabers and other basic effects.
- Papagayo is a lip-syncing program designed to help you line up phonemes (mouth shapes) with the actual recorded sound of actors speaking.
- Free software for processing video files (specifically AVIs). In addition to the built-in functions (frame manipulation, deinterlacing, etc.) there are hundreds of plugins available: colorize, crop, rotate, blur, adjust speed, etc.
Windows Movie Maker 2.1 (link)
- Build your movie with a few simple drag-and-drops. Delete bad shots and include only the best scenes. Then share your movie via the Web, e-mail, or CD. Using third-party software you can even take movies you've made and turn them into DVDs. You can also save your movie back to the video tape in your camera to play back on a TV or on the camera itself.