Topic: When looking for a new webcam.

Every time I go into the Software & Hardware forums, I see new threads that basically link to a webcam and then ask the question "is this good for brickfilming?" Although it's okay to ask for advice, it's pretty easy to make sure a webcam has the right requirements for brickfilming. And besides, most of your responses will be "get a QC9k" anyways, so the threads are pretty pointless.

When you found yourself a webcam of which you think "hmm, this might be good for me", it's time to do some research. Most webcam manufacturers have a website where you can find a lot of specifications on the webcam you found. A quick Google search for the name of the webcam (for example: "Microsoft Livecam VX-1000") will get you the webcam's page on the Microsoft website instantly. If you can't find any specifications on the webcam because there appears to be no website of the manufacturer, or because the page has not enough info, then chances are the webcam isn't that good.

One of the first things you will want to find out about is the webcam's resolution. This is basically the height+width (in pixels) your webcam can take pictures with. Make sure to find the true (native) resolution instead of going with an interpolated resolution (which is basically enlarging a lower resolution image until it's big enough); a lot of webcams have this interpolated feature to make it sound more fancy. Generally you will want a minimum resolution of 640x480 for your brickfilms, though higher would be nice.

Then you will also need to know about the webcam's settings. Can they be set at manual? Which can and which can't? For brickfilming you will want to have complete control over things like the white balance, exposure time, brightness etcetera. Most webcams nowadays have the possibility to put all of these settings on manual, so this is not a big concern.

Last and most important of all, does the webcam have manual focus? This is very important as manual focus is critical to making your minifigs look sharp on screen. If the website says something like Fixed focus, it's useless for brickfilming. If the specifications say auto focus however, it's worth trying to find out whether this means you can adjust the focus yourself or not; it seems that some webcams which have "auto focus" also have a possibility of you focusing it manually. Also, it's pretty important that the webcam has a very low minimal focus distance; anything over an inch would be pretty hard to brickfilm with. For example, when you can't put things in focus when they are closer than 4 inches away from the webcam, you'd have to put the webcam pretty far away from the minifigs before you can focus on them. This will get in the way of getting nice cinematography.

I hope to have helped some of you out with any questions regarding a certain webcam you found online. If you still have any doubts, then by all means ask away for advice. mini/smile

- BertL

Re: When looking for a new webcam.

The QCP9k's Resolution is 2MP.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

Thank's god, Bert Loos.
God Bless you.
-Jack.

The best Brickfilming webcams from a manner of popularity are the Quickcam 4000 and the Quickcam 9000.

- High Resolution
- Manual Focus
- Full settings control
- Secure and minimal stand for LEGO

These two cameras pass those criterias with flying colours.

JackpodyDK wrote:

Thank's god, Bert Loos.
God Bless you.

Keep in mind though that when time changes, specifications change as well. For example, at the time the Quickcam 4000 came out it the best webcam, hands down. Its maximal native resolution, however, is 640x480 which by today's standards is actually not that high. The Quickcam 9000 with its native 2 megapixel resolution (which comes down to 1600x1200 apparently; I don't have the webcam myself) is much better today than the 4000. But who knows, maybe in a year or two an even better consumer webcam with even higher resolution and even more improved manual focus will come out and then that might become the new popular webcam.

Another good thing Aled pointed out is the ability to make a LEGO stand for your webcam. This basically means building your webcam inside a LEGO rig, so that you can connect it to LEGOs. When making a rig, make sure it passes for two things. First it has to be secure and steady, meaning that it doesn't move at all inside the LEGO stand (to prevent shaky film). Second of all it has to be pretty minimal: especially when filming in smaller sets a stand that isn't bulky is very handy.

This deserves a sticky.
- Aaron

Give this man a Sticky mini/wink

mini/cat

Thankyou BertL. THANKYOU.

Jargon wrote:

This deserves a sticky.

It sure does.

Why isn't BertL a moderator? Seriously, we could use his kindness and effort very well on this site.

''You don't have to tell him how great is coffee is man!''

we thank you for making the forums a little less noobier!!! mini/lol

I have awesome sauce in my veins! Which i sprinkle on each of my videos to give it an extra dose of aweomseness!

www.youtube.com/NFfilmz

T.G is RIGHT!!!

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/BGanimations/Signatures/final_400x100.png

Yeah, I'm gonna start a petition.

You should be happy that you're unbanned. mini/madhead
If someone needs to do it, it isn't you.

''You don't have to tell him how great is coffee is man!''

Fine.

Speak of the devil T.G, Livinglego is banned.

again, good greif. mini/eek

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315234895058173963/400133875549995018/Sig1.png

Stop cluttering my thread talking about who got banned. D:<

Okey dokey! Nice advice.

P.S. - How good is that for uncluttering your thread? mini/smile

Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000! mini/smile mini/smile mini/smile mini/smile mini/smile mini/smile