Re: Stars

This is a very beautiful piece of work. I like the idea where the whole point is for you to use your imagination to make the film whatever you want it to be.

Bravo, my good sir. Bravo.

I've decided that I'm going to become immune to several select, non-lethal poisons, then put them in my snacks to discourage sneaky snack snatchers. -Littlebrick

deviantART | YouTube

Damn...

Scypax, your writing is incredible. I liked your THAC effort, but THIS, I loved this one. The sense of wonder is present and well executed, and the music pushed it even further. Very few brickfilms move me so...

I knew it was a good idea to become a fan of you. I look forward to more Scypax,

/|\

Teh Tripod has teh extra boost.

I am devoted to proving that the brickfilm art can be just as serious, emotional, and entertaining as anything in the professional film industry.

The technical execution was good. Decent animation, good lighting, etc. The voice acting was done well. I really liked the transition to the end credits. Less was definitely more. The music was a very good fit. The set was simple, but effective.

I didn’t really connect with the story. While the idea of identifying with the stars was an interesting one and the ambiguous ending was played out well, the “news flash” was a bit contrived. I didn’t particularly care for the idea that the idea that the stars are lonely – if anything I would think they’d be satisfied knowing their purpose so clearly and being able to execute it without the angst and indecision we humans face (however, that’s just my take on the story – not your fault). I also didn’t buy the idea that Jimmy could help them. I wish you would have explained what it was about Jimmy that enabled him to actually help them.
- Aaron

I really enjoyed that. I like how your films are always really unique in style, they are always like real movies. They're really entertaining. I really like the voice acting; you got some really good voice actors for this. They both fit the parts. The lighting also really made the mood of the film. The score also did a good job making the mood.
Overall, a pretty good movie.
4/5

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

I would have to agree with MooCJ about finding the plot a bit thin, but to see a brickfilm like this is quite refreshing, it reminds me of a serious-themed/thinking-person's short film, like what is entered in Tropfest fairly regularly.

MooCJ wrote:

I would've liked to see a little more effects when he goes and becomes a star, rather than the screen just appearing black.

Honestly, I thought that was a great decision.

It's refreshing to see a brickfilm in this vein, but I wasn't terribly wowed by it either. The whole idea of somebody looking at the stars and being far removed from the everyday world is very interesting, and you could go a lot of places with it, but having them become a star is somewhat cheesy in my opinion.
It was fllmed nicely, but I would have appreciated a better sense of the environment. I know it's hard to do, but seeing an actual shot of the sky over the yard or a wider shot from above would have been nice. I think black-and-white would have been a better choice; it would be easier to do some of the aforementioned things, and I think it would have been a better reflection of the film's tone, especially the idea of the material world being distant from the protagonist.
The music was chosen nicely; it reminded me of Holst's Neptune.

Take these all as suggestions for future work; you're definitely going somewhere with this.

Am I the only one who thinks it was too dark? Or is it my monitor?

Oh well.

Nice little film, or what I could see of it anyway. Nice voice acting too.

Rsteenoven wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks it was too dark? Or is it my monitor?

Oh well.

Nice little film, or what I could see of it anyway. Nice voice acting too.

Well considering you thought my poster was too dark, I guess it must be your computer. mini/sad But thank you. mini/smile  (It's not like anyone can really see in the night anyway)

And thank you Night Owl for the wonderful review and all the suggestions you gave. I will do my best to improve in the future. mini/smile

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8180/7904765754_a766f0e523.jpg
Into the darkness once more. I walk into the unknown. To a far better life than I've ever known.

It's all right... the stars though, where are they? Here they are not.
Here's how a night sky looks in the world of Lego: http://www.thebricktestament.com/revela … 6_12d.html
Look! He's used 'clikits' 'n' everything!

Because name spelling is my forte

MisterMulluc:

The point of the video was to make you wonder, and the point of view of the video is from a high angle most of the time. In a sense, you are the stars. But if I did show the stars, it they would look just as they do in real life. mini/smile But thank you for the tip.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8180/7904765754_a766f0e523.jpg
Into the darkness once more. I walk into the unknown. To a far better life than I've ever known.

That film was certainly......unique. The atmospheric feeling the music gave off was definitely well thought up, and the voice acting was pretty good, too. Unfortunately, I felt somewhat unmoved with this film, as these slow paced films are not my cup of tea.

You cannot get ahead while you're getting even. - Anonymous