Topic: Light flickering/camera settings

Hi all,

I just shot for an animation, where I specifically tried to get a nice lighting. I adjusted my (admittedly very, very cheap) webcam to all-manual, which resulted in large patches of blue and green noise in the frame. No manual setting I could find seemed to do anything to improve the situation. Not until I checked the "low light" box and set the auto-white-balance on. That gave a decent enough picture (not exactly what I had in mind yet, but it was getting late and I had to start animating) but also (of course) lightflicker.

So, two questions:
1 - Could someone explain how which camera setting has what effect on the picture?
2 - Does someone know if/how I can reduce the flickering in post production?

Thanks,

-PG

Version 1 of the the screenplay for episode 2 of The Stunt is finishised, and I really, really] await your critique!

Re: Light flickering/camera settings

If you have a very cheap webcam. CCD noise is unavoidable (speckling of the pixels). Software with Frame averaging will improve things a little.

Having said that, your "low light" comment seems to indicate you have low light! You will be amazed at how bright a set has to be to avoid light problems. Notice that people on stage and on TV often sweat a lot!!! Good lighting is particularly relevant with webcams that have small lenses. Use as much light as you have, diffused through greaseproof paper etc to avoid shadows and strong reflections. You will know if you have too much as you start to white out and lose colour definition. It is difficult to over light with home equipment such as anglepoise lamps etc. The added advantage of strong lighting is that flicker is reduced.

Some lights can alter the true colour of objects. The white balance enables the user to adjust the colour balance of the image so a white object appears white in the captured image.

Free Animation Software at www.HeliumFrog.com

Re: Light flickering/camera settings

were  something black and animate in the Dark

Project Secret