Topic: How to get music and sounds from vinyl records and cassettes.

Sorry about the long title! Does your Dad have a great song on a old record? do you have a sound on a cassette that would be perfect in a film? Look no further, for I have the solution!

Step 1: Get a double ended wire that looks like this. http://www.niharsworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/6ft35mmma2-300x223.jpg

Step 2: Plug one end into your mic input.

Step 3: Plug the other end into the headphone jack on your record player or cassette machine.

Step 4: Go into Audacity, or whatever sound recording program you use.

Step 5: Push play, or lower the needle, and at the same time click record.

That's it! Keep in mind that this is copyrighted music, so treat it accordingly.

-Gospelnut.

GET DA BOOM MICROPHONE OUT OV MA FAAAACCCEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: How to get music and sounds from vinyl records and cassettes.

Good? Bad? Yes? No? Only on mondays?

GET DA BOOM MICROPHONE OUT OV MA FAAAACCCEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have done this before with some records. It's a good solution but it never has quite the quality I'd like, and obviously it isn't in stereo.

If you don't want to spend money on buying hardware specifically for ripping music off records, then this is a good way of doing it. However, if perfect sound is what you're after, you're going to have to spend some cash.

If you have a "line in" jack on your sound card, you should be able to get a stereo recording through that.

Hmm, it never seems to have recorded in stereo but I'll have another go at some point.

It might have been that the preamp I was using between the record player and the laptop only had a mono output.