Topic: THAC 8 [CLOSED]

http://www.bricksinmotion.com/images/thac8_logo.png

Hello Bricks in Motion!

I'm going to be organizing this year's THAC, so mark your calendars! The Bricks in Motion Twenty-four Hour Animation Contest (THAC 8 ) will begin on 12:00 noon (GMT) December 18, 2010. This is the second BiM THAC, the 8th for the brickfilming community.

Rules

• Starting at 12 noon GMT on December 18, 2010 (Greenwich Mean Time), you will have 24 hours to script, animate, edit, and upload a film. Any entries not received by the end of the 24 hour time period will be disqualified.  Here is a list of cities and their corresponding times, all set to noon GMT.

• The theme will be announced in a thread titled "THAC 8 Starts NOW!" in the Contests & Community Projects Projects forum.

• To prevent entrants from creating their films ahead of time, the contest theme, a crucial thematic aspect that entries should include, will not be announced until the contest begins.

• In addition to the theme there will be two "mod" elements. The mod elements are visual elements that must be included in every frame of your film to ensure that nothing is animated before the beginning of the 24-hour time period; they are different for every THAC and will be announced at the start time.  There will be two kinds of "mod" elements, and entrants only need to ensure that one of the two elements is present in any frame of footage for their film.  The two elements may be used interchangeably throughout the film, and must be physically included in the set, not added in post-production.

1. The first element will be a letter of the alphabet or a numeral.  This symbol will not need to be used as letter or numeral in the context of the film, though it can be; a clear effort to include something in the shape of the letter or number will suffice.

2. The second element will be two LEGO (or other plastic brick) components of two given colors connected to each other, whether by locking into each other by the studs of the brick, or as pieces in a minifigure or technic construction. 
Baseplates and floor pieces will not be allowed to count.

Note: It is not original to make a film about how the element changes from scene to scene and appears in every shot. The element is not intended to be the focus for the film, just a way to ensure entries are made within the 24-hour time period.

• Entries must be animated and must be primarily composed of stop motion animation. 3D, Flash, or other animation techniques 
may be used to supplement the stop-motion but may not be the main focus.

• The film should contain LEGO or similar 'brick' construction toys, such as MEGA Bloks.

• There must be at least 30 seconds of animation in the entry.  There is no maximum length.

• Joint entries are allowed, as are multiple entries.

• Entries may not contain adult language, graphic violence (blood and/or gore) or sexual themes.

• While copyrighted/trademarked properties are allowed, you are discouraged from basing your movie off of preexisting films 
or franchises (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc.). It's not original, and will hurt your chances in the judging process. Copyrighted 
music may be used, but if you do not wish to do so, you are permitted to create original music beforehand; music does not have 
to be created within the 24 hour time limit.

Length and Format

• To ensure that all entries are viewable by everyone, a version of the video with a maximum file size of 10 megabytes per minute must be submitted within the 24 hour time period. For compatibilty and consistency entries must be encoded using one of the following codecs: 
Realvideo (Realmedia), DivX (in a .avi file),.wmv Windows Media or .mov (Quicktime).

• You may upload a high quality version if you want but your film thread must contain the one you submit in the e-mail as 
well.

• You may also upload a version to youtube.com or dailymotion.com or any other website once the 24-hour time period has passed, and include this when you submit your film to the Releases forum.

• Entries will be submitted by email to me, at an address to be announced at the start time.  You will need a working email address in order to submit your entry.

Upload hosts

• Upload your film to MediaFire.com, it's simple to do, you don't even need an account. Just upload and send the link in an e-mail. Other file hosting sites are acceptable, as long as the link isn't public.

• Alternatively, upload your entry to YouTube. However, instead of setting the privacy as "Public", change it to "Unlisted". This means that the only way to watch the film is if you have the link. Send the link in an e-mail afterwards.

Judging

Judging will occur over the next few weeks after the contest has ended. The judging panel has yet to be decided.

Prizes

http://www.bricksinmotion.com/images/brickathon_02.png

The BrickLink store Brick-A-Thon has graciously sponsored THAC 8! Finalists (1st, 2nd and 3rd) will receive coupons to be used at Brick-A-Thon.

1st place: $50

2nd place: $25

3rd place: $10

Brick-A-Thon Promotion Prizes

There is also an additional prize that is awarded to finalists. If you include Brick-A-Thon's logo in your film for at least 2 seconds, and a link to the store in the description of your film, you are eligible to receive an extra $10 if you win 1st, 2nd or 3rd! If you win and you have these two things (link and logo), then the $10 will be added to your coupon. Including the logo and link is optional, but does give you a chance at extra prizes.

Thank you Brick-A-Thon for donating some great prizes!

Get ready everyone! THAC is on its way!

NXTManiac

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

Re: THAC 8 [CLOSED]

Awesome. I might enter.

Yesssssss!!

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n575/DarthlegoStudios/Jack%20Stallion/JackStallion-300x100.gif
Coming soon...

YAYAYAYAY!
also..
i just read (i may be blind cuz i didn't see it) when we upload it to youtube, do we set it as private?

Last edited by Mason (November 24, 2010 (02:53pm))

Sweet. First THAC, I've been practicing brickfilming for 6 hours anyway today. Hope the theme is good! mini/wink

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

I'm thinking of doing a co-production this year because I often get bored of brickfilming by myself.

Really excited. This'll be my second THAC if I can make it.

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

YAY i can be good a this i used to always make a brickfilm in less the 24 hours mini/tongue

I'm making a co-production with Homerball!
-DL

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n575/DarthlegoStudios/Jack%20Stallion/JackStallion-300x100.gif
Coming soon...

YES!!!! This will be my first THAC!!!

awesome

Youtube | Twitter
"Animation is about creating the illusion of life. And you can't create it if you don't have one." - Brad Bird

YEEEEESSS!!! I WILL ENTER!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4148/5195458838_f8fa90eb60.jpg

Unfortunately, I'll not be able to enter the contest mini/sad Good luck everyone!

LGFB Studios wrote:

Unfortunately, I'll not be able to enter the contest mini/sad Good luck everyone!

Thats sad, why not?

I am going to enter!!!!

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/MY%20LOGO%20(Supernova%20studios1)%20upload.png

Awsome, Im entering

I can't brickfilm for now. See you guys later.

Yes, please.

Do we have to include the Brick-A-Thon logo at the end of our film, like we've had to with other sponsors for the past two competitions? If so, wouldn't that constitute three mod elements?

As for the blood & gore, language, etc. etc., is this a zero-tolerance policy?

I'm entering.
Yay! mini/bigsmile

This will be my 2nd THAC. Im super cereal excited.