Topic: The Sky is Falling! (Featuring AnnoyingNoisesProductions)

Directory Link

The Sky is Falling! (Featuring AnnoyingNoisesProductions)

YouTube

Apparently the sky is falling.

This is my entry into the Bricks In Motion animation challenge "Getting Hit by a Falling Object". This is one of my sillier animations but I hope you enjoy it nonetheless. I'd like to thank ANP for lending his voice very last minute.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HaqN_QNHYPE/T85ZVFIcH3I/AAAAAAAAHhM/h-It_5s_R9w/s512/Promo%252520Shot%252520low%252520quality.jpg

Last edited by Repelling Spider (June 5, 2012 (01:15pm))

Re: The Sky is Falling! (Featuring AnnoyingNoisesProductions)

Haha. Nice entry.

I didn't LOVE The animation of the guy falling. But great animation over all.
5/5 mini/smile

~Hal

The sky may be falling, but your brickfilm quality certainly isn't. mini/yes
Great animation+great punch line+great voice actors=Great film.
The Gravity Games signs were a great pick, and the set itself is marvelous.

The only drawbacks are that there was a little light flickering, and the falling....Object,( mini/shifty ) didn't really seem to have a good, hard impact. Even dropping from right above the buildings would have accelerated it faster and lead to a stronger hit. It's bouncing back up made it look like it was made of rubber, not plastic.
It was smooth though, and in keeping with your animation style, so it's not that big of a deal. mini/wink

All around a great film, keep up the good work!

Pritchard Studios wrote:

The sky may be falling, but your brickfilm quality certainly isn't. mini/yes
Great animation+great punch line+great voice actors=Great film.
The Gravity Games signs were a great pick, and the set itself is marvelous.

The only drawbacks are that there was a little light flickering, and the falling....Object,( mini/shifty ) didn't really seem to have a good, hard impact. Even dropping from right above the buildings would have accelerated it faster and lead to a stronger hit. It's bouncing back up made it look like it was made of rubber, not plastic.
It was smooth though, and in keeping with your animation style, so it's not that big of a deal. mini/wink

All around a great film, keep up the good work!

Thanks! And man, that light flicker was giving me a once over this time! Usually I don't have much trouble with it. I think it had something to do with the fact that the main character had a lot of white on his shirt. For some reason that affects my camera a lot.

Also you're probably right about the fall. I was hesitant about making it faster cause I wanted people to actually be able to see it. My original attempt at the fall was absolutely horrible, so I was pretty impressed with this outcome. mini/lol

Thanks for the in depth feedback, this is exactly what I like to see! mini/smile

Well, the animation was nicely done and... ah, screw it. 5/5

It's really nice what you've done with this entry. The animation of the minifig falling was superb, I couldn't have done it better myself. The set design itself was fantastic (I liked how you incorparated The Gravity Games logo mini/smile). On the other hand, I didn't see too much light flicker and when I did, it was barley noticeable. The animation itself was very good but not the best you've done mini/wink (I wish I could animate at your frame-rate mini/tongue).

Overall this is an awesome film, and I hope to see more great films like this one from you. mini/smile

4/5

I'm working on getting my studio back up and running, so stay posted...

Anteater wrote:

It's really nice what you've done with this entry. The animation of the minifig falling was superb, I couldn't have done it better myself. The set design itself was fantastic (I liked how you incorparated The Gravity Games logo mini/smile). On the other hand, I didn't see too much light flicker and when I did, it was barley noticeable. The animation itself was very good but not the best you've done mini/wink (I wish I could animate at your frame-rate mini/tongue).

Overall this is an awesome film, and I hope to see more great films like this one from you. mini/smile

4/5

Thank you, kindly! mini/smile It's actually good to hear that someone else besides me thought that this wasn't my smoothest or best animating quality. I wish I had the time to re shoot several of these scenes as they aren't quite as smooth or as nice as I would have liked. But, all in all I enjoyed how it turned out. Thanks for the good feedback! mini/smile

I must agree with Pritchard here. The animation's great but the falling didn't really have much impact. Also a lot of flicker on this one. Good job though!

An amusing, enjoyable little short there, Mr. Spider. The voice acting was hammy, but not obnoxious. Animation was decent, but I have to echo concerns about the actual impact. Adding a bit of camera shake, or at least a more dramatic sound effect would have helped immensely. Also, the ANP character didn't physically react at all, which hindered the moment.

I would say everything Pritchard said.  I thought some of the arm movements were a bit choppy, but overall I thought the animation was great!

Thank ya!

@Jargon - Yes, I agree with the sound effect and overall impact of the impact. I had a hard time recording a sound effect that seemed to fit the situation. But I really like your idea about having the ANP character move a bit. It would have helped some. Thanks for your comment and short critique, both are greatly appreciated!

I love the motion blur as Josh falls. mini/smile

Personally, I think that the simple sound effect, and non-reaction from the hard hat guy was funny, purely because it was so anti-climactic.

Yes I think I agree with ANP. I had originally thought that the lack of movement was a nice touch for the character. Thanks for some feedback about that, Squid. I appreciate it! mini/smile