Topic: The Exterminator

Directory Link

The Exterminator

Youtube

A family of three have a bug problem in their own bathroom. Luckily they call the exterminator for help!

Re: The Exterminator

That seals it. I'm getting a better mic. mini/frustrated 

So, the guy casually says "Spiders" in a monotone, unconcerned voice, but then freaks out when sees one more? Either he should have be concerned about the first one, and then called the exterminator once a second one was discovered, or simply regarded them as harmless pests and called the guy just so he wouldn't have to mess with them. Then, his other face is seen in a shot where it would have been quite simple to switch out heads halfway through. The following animation was either jerky, the timing was off, or just didn't look right. The ball should have spun as the kid was turning it, not afterwards, for example. Throughout the movie the voices weren't lined up well with the mouth animation, and other sounds had that same problem of un-synced-ness.

Spoiler (click to read)

The sets in the kid's dream were all quite basic, with baseplate walls, and stacks of URPs. And the effects weren't the best that I've ever seen. Also, I understand why you used giant aliens as the antagonists, but wouldn’t simple bugs have worked just as well? That would have established the “Exterminator” connection better, and beating up helpless bugs would look better that pwning aliens who are supposedly able to fight well. (Even though they did no more than to walk towards their death.)

Then it appears that the exterminator shows up only a few seconds after he is called. A simple cut showing that time has passed would have been good. But instead we get scenes for both going into and going out of the dream, and as soon as the latter is done, the guy shows up. Not that it’s a bad thing, but it just didn’t seem right.
The punch line also fell a little flat. There's no reaction shot, and not enough time given for the audience to process what just happened. He says the line, and then it cuts straight to the credits. If you had put a little something in there after the line, then it would have been fine. But as it is, the timing just isn't right.

Overall rating:
Concept =Good.
Execution=Not so good.

Thank you for your thoughts on the film. We tried to get the mouth animation to sync with the lines, that is very hard to do tho, thats why I'll think we will skip the mouth animation in our next film and do more movements instead.

Spoiler (click to read)

When the man in the house makes the call, we get to see the little kid dream about The Exterminator and during this dream the time passes by and the real Exterminator has time to show up.

Animation was reasonably decent, not great.
A few suggestions I give:
When someone pulls out a weapon or any object, shoot it from an angle as so you cannot see the object when you actually put it in their hand, otherwise, it just looks like it instantly and awkwardly appeared there. My films have numerous examples of it being done my way.

Also, don't do the facial animation, it's not really great.

AnnoyingNoisesProductions wrote:

A few suggestions I give:
When someone pulls out a weapon or any object, shoot it from an angle as so you cannot see the object when you actually put it in their hand, otherwise, it just looks like it instantly and awkwardly appeared there. My films have numerous examples of it being done my way.

We were thinking like this when we animated it, that when the character pulls back his hand, he kind of reaches for the knife in his pocket, thats how it meant to look like. Tho minifigs don't have pockets it kinda magically looks like it just pops up. Thanks for the feedback.