Topic: The Machine

Directory Link

The Machine

Youtube

My fourth film.  I can comfortably say that this is my most epic work to date.  Give it a watch, if you dare.

Re: The Machine

Holy WOW!I have to say that this was the most realistic brick film that I've ever seen! Nice job! How long did it take you to animate it? mini/eek

Whoa, that animation style is insane. mini/eek
Yeah, stop-motion is called that because the result looks like it's moving, but never before have I seen animation that made it look like the figure is really, truly moving in real life.
What did you do to get that?

A few of the effects didn't blend well with the rest of the video, (The powder, some of the sparks and the tongue.)
but everything else was amazing. (Including the "story.")

4.78/5

Wow. Stunning. In some aspects there are advantages to using a webcam over a DSLR, because you can more easily create those dolly shots and camera pans on a lower budget if you know what to do. Makes me wish I had the 9000. I'll have to figure out a good way to try more camera movements with the DSLR. The film was great. Loved the ending with the coffee. Great work as usual!

My, my, you've got a beautiful short on your hands. I'm impressed. The animation was excellent - smooth and still full of character. The cinematography was similarly nice. The ubiquitous easing in and out of shots was pulled off very well and bumped the visual quality of the short up a notch. Set design was also a highlight, from the modest bedroom to the titular Rube Goldberg-esque machine.

My one criticism would be the story/joke. The buildup is so well-done that it can't really help but be let down by the standard punchline. That said, I've rewatched this multiple times simply because it's executed so well that it still remains quite the pleasure to take in.

Thanks guys,

@GHB productions  I would say it took about 3-4 weeks of steady work to build the sets and animate.  Since school started, I've been doing the post production, and the sound mixing.

@Pritchard Studios  Well, I film at 25fps, and I use a plug-in in after effects called CC Force Motion Blur.  It basically analyzes a bunch of frames, and adds blur where it detects motion.  It does take some manual editing if you want a good result.

@Repelling Spider  Yeah, I agree, the 9000 is very versatile.  My only complaint would be the resolution (Not enough for full HD) and the quality.  For this video, I actually used frame averaging (taking multiple pictures, then blending them all together to reduce graininess), which I think improved the quality a bit.  I will be making a short behind the scenes video, which will include pictures of the sets during shooting, and a couple breakdowns.  There are some pictures of the lego dolly(s) I used.

@jargon Yeah, the over-dramatic build up is the whole point.  That was my intention from the start.

This is the best Brickfilm I have ever seen, more realistic looking than real life.  Sorry to bug you on your YouTube channel, I had a few questions (as JonnDthunDer) to ask you.  I can't wait for your behind-the-scenes video!  Superb animation!

SuburbAnimationStudios wrote:

@jargon Yeah, the over-dramatic build up is the whole point.  That was my intention from the start.

Right. I understand the diminished payoff is the joke. I was just pointing out that seemed a bit predictable. Too each his or her own, I suppose.

You really are an incredible animator, I remember the first time I watched one of your films, I thought to myself "Wait, this doesn't look right, it's to good, there's no way this can be stop motion." No joke, that was my first reaction. I'm amazed at the realism you are able to achieve with your animation, it's incredible, truly the best I've ever seen. mini/delirium

Altough I've seen this film for like a million times now, it still looks like one of the best animations I've seen in my 5 years of brickfilms experience!
I even showed it to my Media Design class (and those people are harsh when it comes to feedback), they loved it! Even the teacher said that it was one of the most fluent animations.

I'm glad that I could compose a score for this film, because these kind of brickfilms show a new level of quality.

5/5

''You don't have to tell him how great is coffee is man!''

Absolutely lovely. The animation is one of the best and most realistic I've ever seen. The effects were also really well executed, but I agree with some people here that some of them are out of place. The camera motion was super smooth and had some interesting angles with it too. There was no flicker that I noticed, so kudos to you!
5/5

Hah, that was incredible! The mouth animation and the special effects were good, but what really intrigued me was the shot at 0:58; I loved the way you made the screen go through that little hole!

10/10

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Amazing job... The cinematography is incredible.

-Concept: 8/10
   -Story: 6/10
   -Cinematography: 10/10
   -Sound: 9/10
   -Animation: 9.5/10
   -Effects: 9/10
   -Sets: 9/10

→OVERALL: 9/10

*The Overall rating as nothing to do with the other categories... It's just my overall appreciation of your film.

Brilliant!  The huge buildup and the wonderfully smooth animation were great.  Like Pritchard said, thugh, I felt that some of the effects (like the steam and tongue) didn't really blend in, but aside from that, the CGI blended in perfectly.  Great job!

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Incredible. Fantabulous. Smooth. Wow. mini/twitch

The only parts I thought were not so great were the ending, which was quite easy to predict (although it still got a small chuckle out of me), and some of the effects like the glowing on the propeller/blade or the steam, as already mentioned.

You my friend, you'r good. mini/sunnies

Everything is just so... perfect! Congrats! mini/bigsmile

Just... amazing man...

Sorry for my english... i'm French...

My BF available at:
http://www.youtube.com/user/GaudrioleProduction1

Truly impressed. Very fluid animation, lotta production value with the set, brilliant overall. Thought that kept running through my mind as I watched this was "I got something to learn from this guy". Hope to see more.

mini/bigsmile Speechless at the smooth animation and amount of activity in every frame.

https://i.imgur.com/4b9NnS3.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/GUIl0qk.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/ox64uld.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/v3iyhE5.png