Re: The Machine

Wow, this is better than drugs mini/bigsmile amazing animation, camera movement, sets, lighting just simply everything. I love it I love it I love it!!!!

Awesome. Loved it.

at 0:20 is that a masking error or just a reflection?

Rsteenoven wrote:

It could very well be masking error, considering the enormous amount of masking I did for this video.  Not exactly sure which area of the video you mean though, was it on his hand, his torso, the clock or what?

Perfect. That's some of the best camera movements I've ever seen in a brickfilm.

A Twist of Fate | THAC 11: Fish Tale
Youtube | Twitter

"I see… your name is Bernt."

SuburbAnimationStudios wrote:
Rsteenoven wrote:

It could very well be masking error, considering the enormous amount of masking I did for this video.  Not exactly sure which area of the video you mean though, was it on his hand, his torso, the clock or what?

When he turns over to turn off the alarm clock, on his torso.

Rsteenoven wrote:
SuburbAnimationStudios wrote:
Rsteenoven wrote:

When he turns over to turn off the alarm clock, on his torso.

The black shape that quickly moves across his torso as he is turning over is only a reflection of the alarm clock.

WOW!! mini/eek mini/delirium mini/love
That was awesome! I loved the camera movements the most, I'd say. However that doesn't mean the rest wasn't great...I think it was one of the best films that I've seen, in every way. Great Job!
10/10 from me mini/yes

http://bricksafe.com/files/Legoguy501/BiM%20Signature.png
2nd place Darkness and Light entry: The Tree
Behind the Scenes

Absolutely fantastic. The one critique I'd give: when everything stops turning and whatnot, it does so too quickly. I had to watch it a few times until I could tell why it looked odd, and that's why; it does slow down before stopping, but it doesn't take long enough to slow down. Personally, I even think a sort of a final chug at the end before it completely stopped would have added to the film overall. That is a very very tiny nitpick, of course, and the short was extremely well animated and executed.

kcirb-- its brick backwards.
Youtube

kcirbfilms wrote:

it does slow down before stopping, but it doesn't take long enough to slow down. Personally, I even think a sort of a final chug at the end before it completely stopped would have added to the film overall.

Yeah, I agree.  I wasn't completely satisfied with that shot either.  I was trying to meet a deadline at the time though, so I wasn't able to reanimate it better.

Amazing film animation was so smooth!!
Loved it so much I reviewed it on my website. Hope you don't mind mini/smile
http://brickfilmfromhell.wix.com/brickf … views/c9qb

If you do mind I'll take the review down mini/smile

http://i60.tinypic.com/1ieqoh.png

BrickfilmsFromHell wrote:

Loved it so much I reviewed it on my website. Hope you don't mind mini/smile

Oh no, that's fine.  In case you haven't noticed, I have very few subcribers compared to other brickfilmers, so I really need as much publicity as I can get.  Thanks for asking.

That animation mini/jaw
Absolutely stupendous animation quality! My jaw really dropped watching it. Honestly, I have never seen such quality animation in a brick film as good as that, ever! Not even in many of the great's films!
The lighting was also extremely good, as well as the camera movements. Some of the stuff you did in that was really magical in an editors viewpoint. The effects were also very good, I must say for a short.

The story however was rather simple, and lets be honest, something that has been done before, a little differently though. But the quality of the film really made up for that.

In short, this is one of my most favorite brickfilms I've seen. Wonderful work mate, you've made one really impressed, and a little jealous! mini/wink

You can do anything, just have fun while doing it.

Sorry for bumping, but the short Behind the Scenes video I promised is up now for those who are interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg7O79Ire6Y

Wow, that was awesome! Loved it. It is extremely predictable (I knew what was coming as soon as he got out of bed mini/bigsmile ), but everything else made up for it awesomely. Animation was great, though I have to say that it was all pretty simple motion. Still good though, and that is what counts.
One thing I really loved was how you kept ramping up the complexity and impressiveness. Like when he opens the first door, "Oooo... nice", then the second, "Wow, very, veryyy nice", then the main room, " mini/eek ". Loved it. The minor problems with effects have already been noted, personally they didn't bother me at all (not that you shouldn't care though mini/smile ).
The editing on the main room was great. I didn't even suspect you had merged all those layers of motion together you did it so well. When I saw it, I just thought, "WOW. Sooo much to keep track of..."
Overall, great short film.

As a last note...

Spoiler (click to read)

That must be some freakin' good coffee mini/smile

Hey man, like everyone else said, great film! I wrote an article about it on Brickultra.com, figured I could try to get ya some more publicity.
http://brickultra.com/the-machine/

Thanks again Olsonstudios, I really appreciate it.

Totally sets a new standard for brickfilms. mini/eek
This makes the rest of us look bad...

HOViNET.com] --- Making Brickfilms since 2002] --- YouTube channel]

Very impressive, SuperbAnimation. From a technical standpoint, this is really excellent. I admire the quality and scale of the animation, especially for being shot in 25 fps (not just the minifigure, but of all of the machinery around him), and the camerawork is nothing short of...well, superb. In particular, I loved the opening shot tracking away from the alarm clock; that may be the most impressive shot of the film, IMO (not to mention, lovely attention to detail with him bumping the can on his bedside table as he turns it off). Also, lovely facial animation, some of the best and most natural-looking I've seen in a long time.

Unfortunately, I must agree with Jargon about the quality of the actual punchline. It's the same kind of joke we've seen in brickfilms before, and I believe that for all of this film's technical prowess, it deserved a bit more of an inspired payoff.

Still, this is really a remarkable short film. Also, thanks for the tip about Force Motion Blur, I'll definitely look into that for some of my own films in the future.

I just watched the behind the scenes material and just saying that your cinematography had awesomely done. I loved how did you animate the machine parts and coffee throwing scenes. So absolutely nice work in that case too! mini/smile

Very impressive work! I look forward to seeing what you can do with a more substantial story.

-j