Topic: [THAC X] The Lost Invention

Directory Link

The Lost Invention

YouTube

Another fantastic adventure in the magical land of Riigo-Faloo, made in twenty four hours for THAC X.
This is a prequel to Sharks and Clowns.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/15681_505592806130733_122337549_n.jpg

Considering the time frame, I'm very pleased with how this film turned out. THAC was an amazing experience.

Starring Sonjira, Just Kidden, Jstudios, and Brandon Fields.

This contains a reference to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. See if you can find it.

Last edited by Squid (December 31, 2012 (03:56pm))

Re: [THAC X] The Lost Invention

Wow, I really liked this.
Animation was really neat, and besides the light flicker it had really nice cinematography.
And as always JK's performance practically made the film. mini/tongue

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

jstudios wrote:

And as always JK's performance practically made the film. mini/tongue

Of course! mini/smile

Fun fact: The horse animation at the the end after the credits was originally meant to accompany a Horse Ebooks tweet said in a really crazy voice. But the deadline was getting close and I didn't want to risk wasting time recording it, so I took one of JKs extra lines and stuck it in there.

I think I like it better this way, actually.

You have no idea how many times JK SCREAMED that on the call.
Seriously he was doing it for like 30 minutes.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

iim poiplurar

Another exceptional film from you, ANP. Also another entry that's surprising it was made in 24 hours.

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

I want an orb of finding!

Using a Goblin as the protagonist was unique, and cool. I really would have liked a short scene with the Vampire, but it's too bad that the time constraints prevented it. And as has been stated already, JK's acting was excellent.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

I want an orb of finding!

Using a Goblin as the protagonist was unique, and cool.

I thought so, too.
I thought up Ouskavar after seeing some Goblin Lord of the Rings faces in the LEGO sets, and somehow I really liked them. They didn't seem like the one's in the films much, but I felt that it could be the face of a hero maybe. Faloovian goblins are usually quite nice, though there are bad goblins, like and other race.

This was all during around October when thinking up a large expansion in the Faloovian story line.
Ouskavar is the friend and occasional companion of the Crimson Gumdrop, the Merrymaker's chosen hero. Together, they overthrew the Zombie Empire and started the Crimson Gumdrop Era mentioned in Sharks and Clowns.
After the Gumdrop's tragic death in the Robot War, Ouskavar set up a collage for adventurers.

In the main storyline of Riigo-Faloo where it's actually centered, the main characters locate the Orb and use it to start a new Empire with a perfect government.
They simply use the Orb to find the person best suited to lead the Empire.

Wow, that was great. Using a goblin as the main character, I always wanted to do that, too bad I have no goblin minifigs. I hate that they're always the bad guys.

I also really liked Jarl Eegstich...or whoever is the guy with the new "The Hobbit" beard piece. The voice was just perfect. I could hear him over and over again.

Edit: the only thing that reminds me of MLP:FiM is the beginning

Spoiler (click to read)

"Once upon a time in the MAGICAL LAND OF EQU....Riigo-faloo...". And, well, the unicorn

It's not it, I guess.

Last edited by MPfist0 (December 31, 2012 (06:37pm))

Yeah, I think it would've been better with that cut scene you mentioned.
It didn't feel like it had a climax, so I imagine that scene was it.
An extended edition, maybe?

AnnoyingNoisesProductions wrote:

I did a better job on these tests than the animation in my actual THAC film.

Actually, the only things I saw wrong with the animation were a bit of jitter in some spots and Gloaming's head didn't ease in when he said "The Jarl."
I especially liked the animation when the three gnomes said "The grand unveiling!"

The voice acting was good all around; I particularly liked Jarl Eegstich's voice.
I have no idea what Wigzigwhateverhisname said right after the chest was opened or what Rigdigwhatshisface said when the background was flames.

I can't find the pony reference anywhere! I must be slipping.

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

minifig051 wrote:

The voice acting was good all around; I particularly liked Jarl Eegstich's voice.
I have no idea what Wigzigwhateverhisname said right after the chest was opened or what Rigdigwhatshisface said when the background was flames.

Wigzigsprigledig was supposed to be saying "Gabatay with my life!" However, JK said it more as "Get a pay with my life" It's kinda funny in the script how the vampire also says the same thing with his face on the floor.
I had a whole lot of hard to say words in this. Probably not a good idea. But I sent all of my voice actors a file featuring the correct pronunciation of all of the words, along with all three slightly different ways of saying gabatay.

Despite this, JK still said gabatay incorrectly, and Sonjira said Ouskavar with a long O sound. It was close enough so I let it slide. The correct way starts with the vowel sound in took. And JS said Jarl with a J sound, even though I added that to my guide, despite it being a real word.
I made sure with Brandon after that to make sure that he knew exactly how to say Jarl when I sent him the script.
I also added gloaming's pronunciation even though that's a real word, too. But they're both rather obscure.

Also, for Brandon's voice as the Jarl, he drew out his lines a whole lot, and they were kinda low. Being so long, it was going to take a while to animate. I wasn't liking my situation, then I realized that I could simply solve my problems by increasing the speed by 25 percent.
He he xD

i thought you pronounced Gabatay like Get-a-bay because I misread it and I had no idea what you were talking about so

what the hey hey does gabatay even mean

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Loved it ANP! I don't know how you made it in 24 hours. waow

Best thing I did inviting you to BiM

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Onion wrote:

Loved it ANP! I don't know how you made it in 24 hours. waow

Best thing I did inviting you to BiM

Yes indeed it was.

I had Wilson help a lot on this one, a whole lot. So I could take some breaks from animation and get ready some post stuff and think things out. I couldn't have done it without him. Unfortunately, the animation suffered somewhat because of that, he's not quite as experienced as me, as he rarely animates. You can tell when he's doing it the people wiggle a lot more and come off of the ground a lot more, there's also not as good easing.
It's still good considering how little he does animate. And it got the film done.

Just Kidden wrote:

what the hey hey does gabatay even mean

Gabatay means "I'm frustrated" So Wigzigspriglezig basically said "I'M FRUSTRATED WITH MY LIFE"
I've thus far used it in Pirates Rule!, How to Not Rob a Bank, Sharks and Clowns, and now this.
In pirates it was in the alien scene, so I actually had subtitles showing "I'm frustrated"

I like including the random slang of the Faloovian people in the dialogue. It makes it seem more like a different place.

This is one of my favorite entries! I love the sets, animation, camera angles, and story. The payoff to the joke does feel a little too quick, but I think it works in the long run. mini/bigsmile

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

Great entry!  It has lost of great quotes

Spoiler (click to read)

(the horse screaming "IT WAS AN ORB OF FINDING!!!" at the end really cracked me up for some reason. mini/XD )

The animation was smooth, and though there was some flicker, it wasn't too bad.

Spoiler (click to read)

I also really liked the lighting when the green gnome goes ballistic.

The voices were great too, although the Jarl's voice sounded a bit strange to me (it sounded a bit high-pitched and strained).  All in all, great film!

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Your Riigo-Faloo shorts are solid, whimsical fun, but your penchant for Dutch angles became a little unbearable here. I know you're a big fan, but the novelty/appeal wears off when it's used so heavily. It's a lesson that Troy from Community had to learn as well.

Jargon wrote:

Your Riigo-Faloo shorts are solid, whimsical fun, but your penchant for Dutch angles became a little unbearable here. I know you're a big fan, but the novelty/appeal wears off when it's used so heavily. It's a lesson that Troy from Community had to learn as well.

topitmunkeydog wrote:

http://i49.tinypic.com/28u69v7.jpg

Eh, you may be right.
I do love them, though I think that I used them somewhat inappropriately in some of the shots in this. I usually only slant it for some dramatic action/line/character. But here I just thew it everywhere regardless.
Like in Sharks and Clowns, most of the slants were restricted to people fighting, and the really heated argument of unintelligible gibberish.
I usually spend up to ten or thirty minutes angling shots, but for this, I mostly just pointed it at something and started animating. Oftentimes adding a slant just so it would be less dull.

Sorry I didn't get to review this earlier!

This is a very, very solid film! The animation is delightful (per usual), and I really liked all the performances of the other actors, especially Brandon as Eegstich.

The only problems I have are the infrequent light flicker, and how the scene in which Eegstich introduces Wigzigsprigledig is very bright.

But still, this is great and I'm really looking forward to future adventures in Riigo-Faloo!

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

The Lost Invention, despite being one of the weakest shortlisted entries in terms of its technical aspects, is surprisingly entertaining. The camerawork and animation are average at best, but that does not take away from the film's other qualities. Implementation of the theme is not very original, but the story is told well and the jokes are funny. I think what saves this film is the voice acting - all of the roles are done really well, from the "silly leprechaun" style to cool talking horses to crazy, crazy people. Overall, because of its average technical quality, the film has an old school feeling to it, and I really liked it.

BertL wrote:

one of the weakest shortlisted entries in terms of its technical aspects

Did no one notice the cool effect I did here?
At least I didn't load this with post-preduction camera movements.
But Thanks for the review. I'm glad that you liked the voices. mini/smile

This placed 4th in THAC X! Huzzah! mini/delirium

Also, I thought I'd share the THAC checklist I made:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/428262_517144271642253_818606080_n.jpg

I made this a few days beforehand so that I could go about things in a more methodical manner and hopefully finish in time.
I'm so glad that every square got checked off before the end. mini/smile
This was helpful.
(I prefer to write in a code I created called Rimtext that I believe is better than the typical writing system, which is why it looks like a bunch of gibberish)