Topic: Batman First Encounter

Directory Link

Batman First Encounter

http://youtu.be/60WkAQjkGTA

In the early days of the Dark Knight, the Batman encounters the Joker for the first time.

Last edited by Antonio Ferrara (January 4, 2013 (04:35pm))

Re: Batman First Encounter

The link got messed up. mini/confused

MouseDroid wrote:

The link got messed up. mini/confused

Link is now fixed.
Thx for the heads up.

Hey Antonio! Amazing work, I loved it. I thought you'd take longer to edit it, so I haven't recorded Beckett's lines yet, I'm gonna do it this weekend mini/wink anyways, great movie! You are improving with every brickfilm.

I really liked this. I'm not a huge Batman fan and I've only seen some of the newer films, so I have some basic knowledge about the Batman universe. But I think someone without any knowledge whatsoever about Batman could still enjoy watching this.

From a technical standpoint, the film wasn't amazing. There's light flicker, set bumps, the animation was kinda choppy, and the aspect ratio changed in the middle of it (speaking of which, you should always crop for widescreen; don't stretch). The sound quality varied, but for the most part it was decent. I really liked the placement of the music in some parts of the film. Especially:

Spoiler (click to read)

The music that played when the Joker was talking to Batman.

But some parts would have benefitted from a different selection, like

Spoiler (click to read)

during Redhood's "suicide". It was fine for the first part of the scene where Batman was chasing him and it was all actiony, but I think you should have changed the music to something slower or even kept it silent during the seconds before he jumped.

One thing about the animation that I found was a bit distracting was how you animated the characters talking. They would just constantly wiggle while they talked. I'd advise you to try and make them move less while they talked or have them move only at different moments of dialogue.

This highlight of this film, in my opinion, is the voice acting. I absolutely loved it. I especially enjoyed the Joker's voice acting. Whoever voiced him got it spot on. Though at one point his laugh sounded like a screeching monkey. I also really liked the dialogue. One of the parts of dialogue I really liked was

Spoiler (click to read)

towards the end of the Joker's talk with Batman. The way he compared the situation to a dance sounds exactly like something the Joker would say.

All in all, this film is quite enjoyable. Although it does lack in some technical aspects, I think that it was wonderfully written. Great job!

I liked it!  You are improving at a good rate, I didn't realize you were such a story writer.  Some aspects still need to be worked on, such as the walk cycle and dialogue animation, otherwise I could tell as the film went on that you had gotten better!

http://i.imgur.com/CSwoca1.png

Very enjoyable to watch!
Loved The voice acting and the talking scenes were very interesting to watch.
But I think the animation needs a bit of work
I rate 7.5/10

Thanks for the kind words everyone. it was definitely a labor of love all these months i spent on it. And I know there are things I need to work on as well from a technical point. But am satisfied at he end of the day how it turned out and know from this film I can become an even better brickfilmer.

I'll just echo everybody else and say that the voice acting was great, but the animation was kinda hard to watch.
The Joker mugshot was obviously not on the paper, and the close-ups of it didn't look anything like the prop used in those shots. It's not that hard to line up a picture of the Joker onto a computer display. And the sudden jumps to, and from it took me out of the movie. Finally, Batman's voice actor needed a better mic and pop filter.

3.5/5
(Would've been higher, but the animation and sets brought it down.)

Pritchard Studios wrote:

I'll just echo everybody else and say that the voice acting was great, but the animation was kinda hard to watch.
The Joker mugshot was obviously not on the paper, and the close-ups of it didn't look anything like the prop used in those shots. It's not that hard to line up a picture of the Joker onto a computer display. And the sudden jumps to, and from it took me out of the movie. Finally, Batman's voice actor needed a better mic and pop filter.

3.5/5
(Would've been higher, but the animation and sets brought it down.)

Thanks bud.
I appreciate yours and everyone's comments.
This is a film I know I can grow from and take the next step in brickfilming.

I didn't realise it would be nearly 20 minutes long! Despite the occasional light flicker and jittery animation, the plot, vocals and soundtrack of Batman: First Encounter were exquisite. It is a definite/noticeable improvement from your previous works, and if you just keep fine-tuning everything, your videos will be immaculate to watch. You've really proved yourself to one of the best scriptwriters when it comes to brickfilms, so they're is absolutely no improvement needed there. So really focus on the animation/lighting.

I was stuck between 3.5 or 4, but the storyline and vocals won me over to the latter. 4 - great job!

Carousel wrote:

I didn't realise it would be nearly 20 minutes long! Despite the occasional light flicker and jittery animation, the plot, vocals and soundtrack of Batman: First Encounter were exquisite. It is a definite/noticeable improvement from your previous works, and if you just keep fine-tuning everything, your videos will be immaculate to watch. You've really proved yourself to one of the best scriptwriters when it comes to brickfilms, so they're is absolutely no improvement needed there. So really focus on the animation/lighting.

I was stuck between 3.5 or 4, but the storyline and vocals won me over to the latter. 4 - great job!

And many thanks for all your help on steering me in
the right direction when it came to the new camera and
all the help you gave me and answering so many
of my questions. The animation and lighting
are my main focus for my next project.

Antonio Ferrara wrote:
Carousel wrote:

Glad to hear that my help... helped!

liked the story, the voice acting was GREAT!

It's not horrible, but I feel it is well under what it could be.

On the one hand, the script and story are great.  A 20-minute Brickfilm is certainly a big achievement, and the storyline works.  It feels like what the Batman characters would actually say and do. 

Spoiler (click to read)

Like MouseDroid, I thought the "dance partner" bit sounds exactly like something The Joker would say.

Voices, for the most part, were great as well, especially the Joker, who's spot on. 

The part where the film loses major points for me is the presentation.  The quality of both the sound and animation is extremely erratic.  We suddenly get bits of smooth animation, followed by extremely choppy sequences.  Sound quality alternates wildly between clear and fuzzy.  What annoyed me quite a bit was the way the characters moved when talking; they just flicker their arms back and forth ad infinitum with no variation in movement, something which I found extremely distracting and made my eyes feel sore.  After all, this hardly how people speak in real life.

I realize this may sound pretty rude or snobbish after an effort like this, but in this case I'd really recommend Quality over Quantity--a shorter film, but with much more effort put into the technical side, especially in improving the quality and making it more consistent.  The story might be great, but if it's presented poorly, it's pretty much a waste of effort.

So, all in all, while the script was great, I felt it was largely ruined by the poor presentation.  I can't fault your script-writing skills, but you really need to improve on animation techniques and quality.  2.5/5

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I take no offense at all bud. I don't think I would
want to be part of a community where no one was honest.
I know the areas to improve on and will do my
best to improve on them. I am a keen student of learning
as I go along.
Thanks for watching.

Cooked Cat wrote:

liked the story, the voice acting was GREAT!

Thanks bud.
Glad you liked it.

Carousel wrote:
Antonio Ferrara wrote:
Carousel wrote:

Glad to hear that my help... helped!

LOL I was surprised as well that it was 20 minutes.

I watched this twice believe it or not and even though you made a pretty solid effort on it and tunred out a 20 minute film I found it very uninteresting. For me there was not enough action (very little really) and to much sitting around and blah blah. The voice acting was good at best and the Jokers voice acting saved this film. I suggest in the future when you do a film this long try to have more action and less sittting around and a more solid script.

Outsider wrote:

I watched this twice believe it or not and even though you made a pretty solid effort on it and tunred out a 20 minute film I found it very uninteresting. For me there was not enough action (very little really) and to much sitting around and blah blah. The voice acting was good at best and the Jokers voice acting saved this film. I suggest in the future when you do a film this long try to have more action and less sittting around and a more solid script.

Is that how you judge most movies? Based on how much action they have? If that's the case, your taste in cinema is most likely terrible.

Keep up the good work Antonio! You're getting better with every film.