Topic: "Unprofitable"

Directory Link

"Unprofitable"
(Matthew 25:14-30)

Youtube

Lifted directly from the Biblical text, the Parable of the Unprofitable Servant comes to life in this animation.

Last edited by Pritchard Studios (February 15, 2013 (07:26am))

Re: "Unprofitable"

cool.  1 of my fav parables.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Nicely done, Pritchard! I like the way you put the passage into brickfilm form. The beginning was definitely the best. The dialogue between the king and the servant was a bit difficult to understand at times unfortunately and this was probably something that could hinder the film. Perhaps adding captions would help that too. Personally, I would have chosen a different translation of the Bible to use that is a little more easily understood by this generation and by those unfamiliar with the Bible. Still, for those that know the passage, they would get this really easily. Glad to see more Biblical brickfilms! Keep it up! Thanks for asking me to participate in this. mini/smile Also, are you still working on your Batman film?

Thank you!
@Holding, Thanks, glad you liked it.

@Repelling Spider, The dialogue issue was due to the music being a bit too loud, and my horrible voice acting. It's great that you pointed that out, and I'll keep that in mind for the future. It's seems like that is a recurring theme through out my films, as that issue has been pointed out before. I did put captions on at your suggestion, but they're not perfect, and it's going to take some more time to fix them.

Translation-wise, I'm an old-school KJV guy, and my church uses the KJV. Since the film was made for the Valentine's Day fellowship dinner, there was not really way it could get away with using a different translation. And I really don't think my pastor would like doing so either. But that wasn't something that occurred to me, so thank you for your honesty.

Thanks for both the feedback, and for voice acting!

Oh, and on the Batman film, the short answer is "no."
The long answer is "sorta, kinda not really. But maybe a little bit here and there."
I work on what I feel like working on, and right now "Steampunk" is next on the agenda. mini/wink

Well the animation was pretty good, sets were also nice, there were some questionable camera angles and the voice acting was rather dull. Also it was too Bible'ish to me and I'm Christian so... yeah. mini/bigsmile

Really good animation! I enjoyed it!

Alternative title: "Inaudible"

(Okay, I'm really sorry, it was too good. xD)

You probably should have chosen different voice actors for different parts instead of re-using your own voice.  They sound all exactly the same.

But this is still a good film, particularly the animation. It was very smooth.
I love the part when the guy left, and he just ran out in a cartoon way. I liked the camera slants.

For the Richard Armitage character, I think that a better hair piece would have been this one:
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/734968_513096425380371_518229705_n.jpg

It goes very well with the face, and it covers up his alternate expression much better.

Yeah, I think the dialog audio was too low and the music was just a bit too loud.

Other than that I enjoyed the short. The set designs really stood out for me. They're very different from what I usually see in a brickfilm.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

Squid wrote:

Alternative title: "Inaudible"

Walter Benson wrote:

Yeah, I think the dialog audio was too low and the music was just a bit too loud.

Is this better? (When it's done processing.)
That's a fixed version, but I'm thinking the corrections may have been over-done a bit.
And everybody, I should've gotten some more voice actors, and I see that now. Sorry. mini/sad

@Larry, Yes, some of the angles are odd. Not quite sure why I did them myself! mini/tongue

@Squid, See above for a audio-adjusted version. Sadly, that hair piece in black is not in my collection....Yet. mini/eh
But it'll be added to my Bricklink wishlist shortly. Thanks for pointing it out, it looks very useful.
And yes, once again I put in some camera slants...Your love of them is rubbing off.

@Walter, Glad you liked the animation, and especially the sets. But what's so different about them?

Last edited by Pritchard Studios (February 16, 2013 (11:12am))

The animation was well done, very smooth. Although I think the story was pretty boring. I think that these bible stories are pretty lame.

And the dialog audio could been better.

Noobster Studios wrote:

The animation was well done, very smooth. Although I think the story was pretty boring. I think that these bible stories are pretty lame.

And the dialog audio could been better.

That's because the Bible is outdated. People can't relate to the stories anymore.

Larry Simmons wrote:

That's because the Bible is outdated. People can't relate to the stories anymore.

Whoa there! Two short sentences, two MASSIVE generalisations! The bible still apparently means a lot to 1.5 billion people worldwide. You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but before you take up your career as a shock jock you might want to look into the subject more carefully. I'm no god squad missionary either, just trying to point out the blindingly obvious...

jahnocli wrote:
Larry Simmons wrote:

Whoa there! Two short sentences, two MASSIVE generalisations! The bible still apparently means a lot to 1.5 billion people worldwide. You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but before you take up your career as a shock jock you might want to look into the subject more carefully. I'm no god squad missionary either, just trying to point out the blindingly obvious...

Not true. The majority of people that are officially counted as Christians do not read the Bible nor do they go to the Church every single Sunday. My source? All my friends and relatives are "Christian" and so am I. I admire people like Pritchard who seem to have REAL faith in God but let's not sugarcoat stuff. Even the Pope felt outdated/disconnected from people so he started using Twitter mini/smile in order to stay relevant, religion must adapt.

Last edited by Leo's World (February 18, 2013 (12:30pm))

While it's fantastic that this animation is promoting discussion, said discussion doesn't really belong here.
There are those that find The Bible relevant, and those that don't. I believe it's the individual's stance on the Bible that makes the difference, and not the actual contents.

But this thread is for the film, and not so much for the values or ideals behind it. If anybody has any questions, please PM me, but let's try to keep this particular thread clear of deep religious discussions shall we?

I admire people like Pritchard who seem to have REAL faith in God....

Thank you, that's quite a complement. mini/yes

I haven't had any feedback on the adjusted audio version, so I'll simply add it to the links in the directory and leave things at that. Thanks once again for all the comments!

Last edited by Pritchard Studios (February 18, 2013 (09:44pm))

This is really good liked it a lot.

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

As this has been bumped, and I proceeded to watch the video, here's my two talents.

The animation was good and smooth, a highlight being the generous lord person comically running away (which I quite liked). Sound-wise, to regurgitate what others have said, the voicing needs work and the single piano track got a bit tedious. I found the plot to be somewhat slow paced and ultimately disagreeable. I can generally see past the overblown exaggerations in the Bible to get to its core messages and teachings of morality (of which no problem with), but this story was plain stupid. Why should that poor servant deserve to burn in hell merely because he chose not to risk loosing his money playing the dangerous and incredibly volatile game that is the stock market? Quite dumb if you ask me.

Anyhow, as a whole, an somewhat good animation.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Carousel.

To address the religious/story concerns, it's obvious that we approach the Bible from very different viewpoints and backgrounds. Thus, we may never truly understand one another.

First, the 'stock market' as you say, was not as risky as many think. Everyone who tried, profited. Both of the others got gain. It was a sure thing, that if he had tried, he too would have done well. If he had used, or even simply tried to use, the things that the king had given him, he would have gained. As it illustrates the gifts and blessings that God has given us. The Almighty WILL bless you if you serve him, and no matter how many or how few your blessings, He will bless that and help you do well. But the third man wasted his. He did nothing with it. He was given a gift, but buried it.

The gift or blessing could have been given to another, and then have been of use, but it was not. Nobody could use it.
And that's why he was punished. Also, this a story told by Jesus Christ, a parable, a first century fairy tale if you will. The story is to illustrate a principle, a moral, and not necessarily to be treated as a true story that really happened/will happen.

If you want to discuss this more, feel free to PM me. I'd love to talk about it, but this isn't exactly the best place for that. The mods wouldn't appreciate it too much. mini/wink