Re: THAC 11 is on the way!

Not 11 years. The first THAC was in 2005- http://web.archive.org/web/200512141520 … php?t=8946

dewfilms wrote:

Silly question.
What about links to royalty free music or volunteer musicians for THAC the 11th?

Well, I'm not too experienced, but if anyone has a general theme they want to aim at, if you drop me a line ahead of time, I could see what I could do. We have a thread in the audio section all about Royalty Free Music and Composers though.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315234895058173963/400133875549995018/Sig1.png

Walter Benson wrote:

It said Judges "pick which film they like best". Will this year's be judged in the same way?

Yep, pretty much. They organise them in the order of what they like the most to what they like the least. Remember technical prowess isn't everything, as Watson's legendary review of Taco Trouble seeks to teach you.

dewfilms wrote:

What about links to royalty free music or volunteer musicians for THAC the 11th?

Any volunteers for writing music should post in Audio during the contest. And if you know any royalty-free music sources beside Incompetech, let me know. mini/tongue We allow use of copyrighted music anyway.

Onion wrote:

Its pretty cray thinking this has been going for 11 years.

Onion, you are silly.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

This looks fun, got to get the studio going again, it has been down since shortly after the Contrast contest. But hopefully I will make something.

I took a little break from animation, and I think this will be a great way to get back into things. http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p84/UberSocks/17-2.gif (Credited to Sean)

Also, I have always been amazed by the quality of THAC animations, which it is difficult for me to even fathom that a film of the excellence could be created within 24 hours

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/ag121/CavemanIncorporated/BiM_Sig_Monkey_zpse6d51622.jpg

Creating a montage of test animations is a good way to get into the swing of things before THAC.  Also, having a well-sorted collection of LEGO pieces is a good way to build nice sets quickly.

Can we use pre-built sets?

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

PushOverProductions wrote:

Yep, we can't stop you doing that.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

It's probably a good idea to at least have a basic set which you can easily modify.

Though last year I built a few sets, and one of them was this awesome evil castle, but I actually never used it throughout filming.

But it's still really nice to have sets, even some extra just to be safe.

This will be my first THAC, and I'm going to make sure we don't go hiking that Saturday. I have to make sure my desk is cleaned up, my camera is ready and has full batteries, and I wake up early enough.

Squid wrote:

It's probably a good idea to at least have a basic set which you can easily modify.

Though last year I built a few sets, and one of them was this awesome evil castle, but I actually never used it throughout filming.

I feel like set building takes me longer than animating, especially on my last couple of brickfilms. I'll probably try and build some sets in preparation too.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

Max Butcher wrote:

Screw Christmas - THIS is what I wait all year for!

I consider THAC a holiday.

I'm not kidding.

totally got to do this

Walter Benson wrote:
Squid wrote:

I feel like set building takes me longer than animating, especially on my last couple of brickfilms. I'll probably try and build some sets in preparation too.

Yeah for THAC X I spend 25% of the time working on the set but I think it was worth it. I don't plan on prebuilding sets because I feel like it places a limit on your creativity. It makes you want to write your film around the sets you built.

AquaMorph wrote:

Yeah for THAC X I spend 25% of the time working on the set but I think it was worth it. I don't plan on prebuilding sets because I feel like it places a limit on your creativity. It makes you want to write your film around the sets you built.

He has a good point there.
I built my THAC sets to be extremely specific.

I decided that I would have it take place in a gnome village and involve the Faloovian hero Ouskavar.  I was pretty confident that no matter what the story was, I could probably have it take place in that village and use those characters.  I also built the evil castle so I could have Ouskavar go fight someone there if he needed to do so.  Or maybe even have the entire story take place at the castle.  All I had to do was modify the set to accommodate the colour mod.

Of course, that gives my a very good setup to start animating quickly, and it also helps with story since you already know it's taking place in a specific setting.  Of course, it really does limit what you can do.  But it was my first THAC, so I didn't want to risk anything.  I'm also at a horrible disadvantage because it takes many many hours for me to render a film and editing crashes all the time and then takes several minutes to re-load.

For BRAWL, I just built a green landscape with a rocky elevation to hide my lack of horizon.  Since I use the sort of setup all the time, I thought it a safe move to take whilst still not limiting myself, as it was totally blank and could be decorated however I wanted.

Well for me, that limitation is exactly what I need. In BRAWL, I spent the first two days trying to pick an idea. I have so many of them, I need a way to single one out in a short amount of time. If I build a set for a space movie or a western, then I am limited to that genre and can just move onto the script. Also, set building takes me forever and I am really bad at it.

Besides, the more time I save, the more animation I can cram in.

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

Well I tried entering last year but there was two problems.
1) I go to bed super early (like 9:40-10pm) and because it starts at 11pm for Australians I already was at a disadvantage.
2) The next day was Sunday and I had to go visiting relatives.
A nice Christmas present would to be able to participate. ;(
Can't wait anyway, I just hope the Skype group doesn't traumatise me.

"With those bricks we know and love, anything is a possibility!"-Smoky Air Studios

I might actually join the call this year.  I know Jon has been wanting me to do so.

How do you make a Skype account and join (might be fun to do it for the idea phase of my film and the rendering time)

Well for me, that limitation is exactly what I need. In BRAWL, I spent the first two days trying to pick an idea. I have so many of them, I need a way to single one out in a short amount of time. If I build a set for a space movie or a western, then I am limited to that genre and can just move onto the script. Also, set building takes me forever and I am really bad at it.

Besides, the more time I save, the more animation I can cram in.

I agree with this. I don't have much experience in the field yet, but I'm sure it helps to narrow down your range of ideas.
Actually, I find just building sets (and listening to soundtracks from a large variety of movies while doing it) extremely inspirational. I started construction on a possible set for THAC today, and I came up with five different possible stories that I can either consider as a basic plot for my final entry, or I can use later. Pretty productive way to spend an afternoon, you know.