Re: THAC 11 is on the way!

Squid wrote:

I might actually join the call this year.  I know Jon has been wanting me to do so.

Do it Squid, DO IT! I've been waiting for someone to join me for an in-call Katy Perry duet, and you might just be crazy enough to do it.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

END films wrote:

How do you make a Skype account and join (might be fun to do it for the idea phase of my film and the rendering time)

Register and download through their website. www.skype.com

I wrote:

If you would like to join the Skype group, add me (username: funtastic-films) and tell me you want to be added; space is limited.

Former BRAWL host, 2013-2017
             Youtube   Twitter

Sonjira wrote:
Squid wrote:

I might actually join the call this year.  I know Jon has been wanting me to do so.

Do it Squid, DO IT! I've been waiting for someone to join me for an in-call Katy Perry duet, and you might just be crazy enough to do it.

There are two problems with that: 1: I don't know any of Katy Perry's songs.  I'm not sure I've ever even heard one.  2: Singing over and audio telecom doesn't work very well because there is usually a slight audio delay.  Because of this, it can only be made to sound like we are in tune at one end.  Therefore, I suggest that we sing Row Row Row Your Boat.  One person could sing it as so that it's in unison with the person who started, but to the other person, it would sound like a round.

Fun Sucker wrote:
END films wrote:

How do you make a Skype account and join (might be fun to do it for the idea phase of my film and the rendering time)

I wrote:

If you would like to join the Skype group, add me (username: funtastic-films) and tell me you want to be added; space is limited.

Please save a spot for me mini/smile

AquaMorph wrote:

Yeah for THAC X I spend 25% of the time working on the set but I think it was worth it. I don't plan on prebuilding sets because I feel like it places a limit on your creativity. It makes you want to write your film around the sets you built.

That seems to be the trade-off with prebuilding sets. Still, if I don't want to use them then I can just build new ones within the 24 hour period. mini/smile

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

Sonjira wrote:

Why didn't you say anything during BRAWL about it? :U I would've done that in a heartbeat.

Squid wrote:

Therefore, I suggest that we sing Row Row Row Your Boat.  One person could sing it as so that it's in unison with the person who started, but to the other person, it would sound like a round.

That's really ironic because I watched Star Trek V last night, which involves Kirk, Spock, and Bones sitting around a campfire singing Row, Row, Row Your Boat (the movie was awful by the way).

I think the best plan of action is to have 2 or 3 wide open plot ideas, and then prior to the contest beginning, build some corresponding sets that can be easily adapted to whatever you ultimately need.

Anyhow, as a resident of Australia, I gather that the contest starts at 11:00pm which is fairly cruddy. Looks like I'll have to go to bed extra early, the wake up a 11:00pm, see the contest mod elements & theme + do some planning. Then I shall return to my slumber and then subsequently get up extremely early (4:20 am) or something the next morning and begin. Sounds like fun.

Fun Sucker wrote:
END films wrote:

I wrote:

tried that and it wouldn't let me log in and also it wouldn't allow me to make a just Skype account.

Carousel wrote:

I think the best plan of action is to have 2 or 3 wide open plot ideas, and then prior to the contest beginning, build some corresponding sets that can be easily adapted to whatever you ultimately need.

Anyhow, as a resident of Australia, I gather that the contest starts at 11:00pm which is fairly cruddy. Looks like I'll have to go to bed extra early, the wake up a 11:00pm, see the contest mod elements & theme + do some planning. Then I shall return to my slumber and then subsequently get up extremely early (4:20 am) or something the next morning and begin. Sounds like fun.

Sucks eh?
I'm not sure what I should do, I'd like to work from like 2:30am till like 7am (it's a nice peaceful time to work when everyones sleeping rather than from 11-2) but I want to be awake for the beginning. And I don't think I have an alarm clock -.- Maybe if I sleep in too much I won't have to go to Church in the morning, so I can get some shiz done. It's hard being in Australia, good to know that I'm not alone in the disadvantage though.

"With those bricks we know and love, anything is a possibility!"-Smoky Air Studios

Personally, I feel pre-building sets and preplanning vague plots goes against the entire spirit of THAC. The only prebuilt set I've used was Alex and Derrick's apartment, and I didn't plan that, I just had it left over from an earlier film.

I'm going into THAC11 with a completely blank slate, and I think others should strive for that as well.

Nathan Wells wrote:

Personally, I feel pre-building sets and preplanning vague plots goes against the entire spirit of THAC. The only prebuilt set I've used was Alex and Derrick's apartment, and I didn't plan that, I just had it left over from an earlier film.

I'm going into THAC11 with a completely blank slate, and I think others should strive for that as well.

^This 100%!

Nathan Wells wrote:

Amen, brother!

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2906/14493643070_db4eab9412_o.png

I find it odd that there is something which is not against the contest, but there are those who strongly frown upon it.

I feel like the spirit of THAC is more about the actual animation itself and the idea behind the film.  Not just the set where the film takes place.  That's just a detail, and for me it gets in the way of the really important stuff.

Squid wrote:

Not just the set where the film takes place.  That's just a detail, and for me it gets in the way of the really important stuff.

The way I see it is, the point of the contest is to make a filmentirely from scratch. For me, this includes the sets. If you make sets before-hand, that's your choice. I personally am not though.

You can't really make it entirely from scratch.  You're using sound effects made before, using music made before often times, using some figures made before often times.

Squid wrote:

You can't really make it entirely from scratch.  You're using sound effects made before, using music made before often times, using some figures made before often times.

I think there is a difference though between sound effects and music, and sets. Not everyone has the ability and/or resources to make sound effects/original music from scratch. But obviously as brickfilmers, everyone can make a set.

Not everyone has the resources to build a more than simple set.

I'll probably try pre-built sets this year. Usually I throw something together as fast as possible- and in my case, that's not very fast at all. Just not much of a set builder, I guess. I can understand the viewpoint that using existing sets is cheap, but after entering or attempting to enter this contest... I want to say four or five times, I'll do anything to get past the "sticking bricks together and hoping something looks good enough to actually start filming" stage.

Anyway, everyone knows that real THACers start mining the oil to make their LEGO the moment the contest starts.

Squash wrote:

Anyway, everyone knows that real THACers start mining the oil to make their LEGO the moment the contest starts.

That made my night. Thank you.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

For me, I'd much rather use pre-build sets and get a final result that stands up with my other films, rather than throw something together simply 'in the spirit of THAC' and have its production values be pathetic. Writing, animating and editing are hard enough in that time, and I take a while to build sets anyway, so it's pre-build all the way for me.

In that same vein, how many of you go into it with one or more basic ideas of what to do, and then flesh one of them out once the theme is known? It probably strays even closer to 'cheating'  than set-building, but it also speeds things into a better production phase. (I think Nick Durron does this each year....And then places super-high.) Are ya'll of the same opinion regarding that?

I get that the point is 24 hours, but I'm too much of a perfectionist (And anti-procrastinator) to leave things to the last second and risk a terrible outcome.

@Squash, wow, I agree with Walter. That's comedy gold right there.

Last edited by Pritchard Studios (December 7, 2013 (07:00am))