Topic: Planet of the Sneeuwpop

Directory Link

Planet of the Sneeuwpop

Planet of the Sneeupop on YouTube

When low on power, Captain Liam Thacker and his crew go on an exciting space adventure to the Planet of the Sneeuwpop.  Animated within 24 hours for THAC 11.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/q71/s720x720/1530462_774638615883654_1241915948_n.jpg

I'm relatively happy with how this film came out.  The animation looks a bit weird in some places because Wilson was helping me animate, but I think it turned out a lot better than last year's THAC.

Last edited by Squid (December 30, 2013 (11:53am))

Re: Planet of the Sneeuwpop

The set design was beautiful but the light flicker took away from it.

Other than that it was an amazing job!

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

Captain THACker, eh? mini/lol

Yeah the only thing I had a problem with was the light flicker - although it wasn't too distracting and I only noticed it once or twice.

Also you really assembled a great voice cast for this one! Everyone did a great job. mini/smile

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

I'm extremely forgiving when it comes to light flicker, so I'll just go ahead and say how amazing I thought this was. It was. Awesome, that is. All those words at once. Yeah.

And I love the way you made the mod element so in-your-face when they were down on the planet. Plus, I'm super-jel of that Adventurers yeti bigfig mini/delirium

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Amazing sets!

The story was maybe too simplistic, but it was not that bad.

I really liked it, good job mini/wink

this was beautiful. i loved every part of this - even the light flicker!! i felt like the light flicker added to the charm. there's something about light flicker in general that i like, in especially well-made films. .. makes things feel more human idk!!

only part i didn't like was my voice acting! wish i coulda done better but you know!! i'm sick!! oh well!! if you need me to voice act again just hmu, i'll do better next time!!

Last edited by Just Kidden (December 30, 2013 (12:05pm))

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Sorry about the flicker, everyone.  There's still not much I can do about that that I know.  Everything should be working, but it isn't.

Walter Benson wrote:

Captain THACker, eh? mini/lol

A week or so before THAC, I became cognizant of the fact that Thacker was a last name, I then wondered why no one (to my knowledge) had ever made that joke in a THAC brickfilm, so I decided that I should.  More people should, though.

There's also another joke in there that's almost impossible to notice.  When recording the roar for the braigshtalv, I was actually saying "crawme" thought the editing I did to it made it almost entirely unintelligible.

Yes, I was waiting for this.
It's good, but felt like it was the intro for something much longer.
They were all just getting introduced when WHAM! the credits started rolling.
The light flicker was annoying, and some of the animation was noticeably lower quality than the rest.
But the sets are very nice, the lighting is superb. I really like that opening shot and the Sneeuwpop's charge, those were both done very well. Captain Thacker is a fun name, and the "Evil Readings" exchange is great.

The Sneeuwpop's voice sounds too similar to the one spaceman, and should have had some effects on it or something. You're a good voice actor, but you've been so many roles in so many of your films that (to me at least) it's becoming a bit of a distraction. And I would have recommended at least getting Wilson to take a stab at it or something. It's easy to overlook being THAC, but keep that in mind with future films.

It's a great short, but does end very suddenly and has the light flicker problem.
Still, 24 hours is rough, and you did an amazingly great job for that time.
I'm sure this will rank pretty high.

Another stellar film by you, Squid; it was really fun to be a small part of it.  I love your sense of humor, and it's definitely one of my favorite entries! mini/smile

Just Kidden wrote:

this was beautiful. i loved every part of this - even the light flicker!! i felt like the light flicker added to the charm. there's something about light flicker in general that i like, in especially well-made films. .. makes things feel more human idk!!

Well then, you're going to love I am the Night.  That film is pretty human.

Just Kidden wrote:

only part i didn't like was my voice acting! wish i coulda done better but you know!! i'm sick!! oh well!! if you need me to voice act again just hmu, i'll do better next time!!

It's okay, I was considering just re-using your noises from Sharks and Clowns, but I went ahead and tried the new noises in place to see if they would work and it was okay so I just left it so.
Your noises from Sharks and Clowns are perfect as though a divine blessing of perfection has been bestowed upon them.

The Sneeuwpop's voice sounds too similar to the one spaceman, and should have had some effects on it or something.

Yeah, I noticed that be only before it was to late.  Basically everything I did during thac was not thought trough very well at all.  I probably should have stopped to think more, but no time.
I was considering bringing Wilson in for something, but his voice is actually pretty close to mine.  But one of the things I was wanting to do was a film about a southern woman, because Wilson's southern woman voice is just the best.

It's good, but felt like it was the intro for something much longer.
They were all just getting introduced when WHAM! the credits started rolling.

There was actually supposed to be more a of a battle between the people and the Braigshtalv as well as a dance party with a disco ball in the ship when they won, but that was all cut.
I was also planning to put in a short ending narration from Sonjira, but Lee thought I should leave it without it, as he felt that the sudden ending was perfect.

I love the way you made the mod element so in-your-face when they were down on the planet.

I didn't want to take any risks.  The mod element is basically everywhere.  The only times I had to do something special was in the first scene when the ship comes up I had the mod cropped out and the first shot when the sneeuwpop spoke I had it in the background with some new rock I had built because of the angle.

Very charming. The sets are really good and the animation is nice however at times it can be a bit blotchy.
But yeah, as some people have said, it felt like there should have been more to it, however considering it's for THAC that's not a huge concern.
Still a very nice film to be done in 24 hours.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

Squid wrote:

There was actually supposed to be more a of a battle between the people and the Braigshtalv as well as a dance party with a disco ball in the ship when they won, but that was all cut.

Anyone chance you might do an extended cut in the days/weeks to come? This sound hee-ha-larrymazing.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

jampot wrote:
Squid wrote:

Anyone chance you might do an extended cut in the days/weeks to come? This sound hee-ha-larrymazing.

Nah, the film stays as it is.

Generally, my THAC ideas are actually not very good relative to some of my other ideas, and I'd rather continue with bigger projects with more clever ideas.  Also, after making a THAC film, at the end of the contest you become a little sick of working on that specific film.

Also, I want to preserve the fact that it was made in 24 hours.  I don't want it to be Hey, I made this in 24 hours, but not really because I made most of it in that time and then I went and filmed some extra stuff because I thought it could be better.

I'm not really sure what I'm going to do next, but I want to move to something soon.
If I get Onion's lines for Leprechauns in France, it'll probably be that.

I can finally read the end credits! Hurray!

I really liked it, but it's no "The Lost Invention". Great job, being able to put it together and all, though. And good job to all the cast.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

I really enjoyed that, and it helps that I'm a real sucker for science fiction. An incredible accomplishment given the time you had, having that second animator was obviously invaluable. I think that next year you'd want to focus on wrapping up a story in a neater package, because this one did end suddenly (I imagine time constraints played a part in that).

But congratulations!

mini/smile

Once again. Genius!

Another super entry, Squid! It really was fun to be a part of this one, and I do like how well it came together, especially with the time constraints and all. Great visuals, music, and all as always! The sudden end did catch me off guard, but I think it worked well for what we've got! All in all, egg-cellent job, man! mini/bigsmile

"Heal the world.  Make it a better place...." -Michael Jackson
"I like to stroke them." -Hazzat
http://bit.ly/jzKLdD ←YouTube!
-Jedi Master, DarthVincentPrice, who's retired...again... from the animation. Voicing's still a go!

Oh my god.

The lighting. The sets. The voice acting. The humor. Its so good! This is something a normal animator would spend weeks working on. How did you do it!? REVEAL YOUR SECRETS!!

YouTube
Max, She/They

Wow! The sets and the lighting especially are amazing!  The crazy characters are great as well.  Animation-wise, I loved a bit when the Sneeupop bowled over the astronauts. 

The only things a bit off were that there was some light flicker, and that the ending was somewhat rushed.  Given that this is a THAC I can understand why, though it left me wanting to see more (but in a good way).  Especially Dr Nicholas, he is amazing.  I just love that character, I don't even know why, he's just really crazy and awesome.  I ABSOLUTELY DEMAND politely request a sequel with him.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Max Butcher wrote:

The lighting. The sets. The voice acting. The humor. Its so good! This is something a normal animator would spend weeks working on. How did you do it!? REVEAL YOUR SECRETS!!

I built a load of pre-built sets.  I was prepared for almost any situation theme-wise or colour-wise.
I also made a test montage to get into the swing of things.
And then I had Wilson helping out which was probably the main point.  I could take a break and have him animate.  Though, most of the shots he did look a little weird next to mine, but he did a fantastic job on the sneeuwpop charge.