Topic: Pirating? o_o

Hey guys, Pushover said that he needs a music track for the community project. I recommended this one, but he refuses to record it because he think it would be pirating. I commend him on his morels, but I can argue that it would not be pirating to record it. This line is in the description:

A famous Christmas Carol. People lookin for a good instrumental can have a go at it.

Also, in the comments:

A YouTube User wrote:

Hey, do I have permission to use this instrumental in a video?

Another YouTube User wrote:

In the description it says,
"A famous Christmas Carol. People lookin for a good instrumental can have a go at it."

So, what I want to know is would it be pirating to record this and use it in 12 days?

The guy who got banned more times than DiCaprio said "f***" in The Wolf Of Wall Street.

Re: Pirating? o_o

Its only .99 cents, I'm just gonna buy it. Really, better safe then sorry. mini/smile

What would really be great, is if we could get a BiM composer, that way we are completely free of copyright, AND the project is 100% community based. We would have time too, seeing as people are just starting to animate their intros.

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

A BiM composer? Sounds like a lot of work for whoever fills that role...

What it may be worth doing is a voluntary checklist of who on the site can compose (and to a decent level of quality) and then make a list of it, in case this kind of thing comes up in the future, so that they'd be easy to contact and we know who is good at what kind of music.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

@Jampot, man that is a great idea, we could even put it about halfway down this page.
Maybe put a nice picture banner over it and add links to the guy's work.

...Sorry, I feel really sarcastic today. mini/tongue

@Pushover, if you can get the licence from the guy, that could work. But just buying a piece of music doesn't necessarily grant you the right to put it in your animations. For example, I've bought some Star Wars music and put it on some old animations of mine. Youtube still flagged it, and technically the legal people could sue me for infringing on their rights. On the other hand, many places online do licence their work (usually for a fee) and once you have that licence you can use it however.

For the project, I highly recommend getting a BiM composer. It's a basic enough melody, and the tune is public domain. That way we don't have to worry at all with copyrights, plus it'll be entirely BiM-made.

Okay, I think I will contact Dyland, and see if he is willing. If he wont do it, I'll make a new thread asking if anyone else is willing to.

The guy who got banned more times than DiCaprio said "f***" in The Wolf Of Wall Street.

I actually had a look around last week and I found a number of working MIDI files of this song that seemed to work fine. If DylanD cannot help you guys out, I could use the tune contained within one of these (it's an out of copyright melody) and re-arrange it using Sibelius to whatever instruments you would like to create a pretty decent sounding (albeit with virtual instruments) arrangement.

Boats Animator
Free stop motion software with 1080p support!
YouTubeBrickfilms WikiBoats Animator

Umm...I'd be willing to give it a try, recording the theme.  Only thing is, I'm pretty sure I don't fit into the "and to a decent level of quality" composers on here as of now.  I'll be honest, I really don't know what I'm doing so far as recording at all, the two Knights' Kingdom Theme tests included. 
All I can say is that I'm willing to give it a shot.  If there's something I could base it off of, like maybe using the same tempo as that one, that would help.  If you all think I'm probably not up to doing it with quality, I'm probably not, and tell me so; I won't be offended. 
In case you haven't heard, here's the two tests I did with the theme I'm working on for my Knights' Kingdom film. 
https://soundcloud.com/user495470665/kn … e-test-two
https://soundcloud.com/user495470665/kn … e-test-one

Like Pricthard said, just buying the song itself doesn't give you the right to use it.  You have to pay for music licensing fees unless you have written proof by the composer, really.  So maybe try finding a royalty free one, getting written proof from that guy, or try having a composer.

edit: or use to BoatsAreRockable, if he's willing to do that, because he's probably got a much better idea of what he's doings

Okay John, go for it. I liked your first version of the knights thing, so I don't see a problem with you doing the music. I mean, it's not like it has to be Beethoven or anything. Send it to Pushover when you're done. He can then decide if he wants to use it.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

@Jampot, man that is a great idea, we could even put it about halfway down this page.
Maybe put a nice picture banner over it and add links to the guy's work.

mini/eek  WOah.

Not sure I ever saw that page before.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

brickelodeon wrote:

Okay John, go for it. I liked your first version of the knights thing, so I don't see a problem with you doing the music. I mean, it's not like it has to be Beethoven or anything. Send it to Pushover when you're done. He can then decide if he wants to use it.

Alright, will do.  If you or him decide not to use it that's perfectly alright, it's good practice either way.  I'll keep you guys updated, I'll try and start it tonight. 

I'm terribly offended that you don't think I compose at Beethoven's level.

Whatever you saw in this spot previously was wrong. Carry on.

Last edited by Brickelodeon (May 10, 2014 (04:35pm))

Hey, what kind of overall feel do you want?   Obviously it's going to be a fairly fast tempo and in a major key, but so far as the instruments used...
Piano?  Electric guitar?  Synths?  Strings?  Flute? 
Really, I could see any one of those sounding good so long as I don't try to mix them.  I'd like to know what you're thinking though (whoever is in charge of music).

Pushover can make the overall decision, but I think that a lighter feel would be best. A flute maybe?