Topic: Eye Sore

Directory Link

Eye Sore

YouTube

A harrowing tale about vision problems.

EDIT: Now re-uploaded with (A lot) less audio clipping.

Last edited by Walter Benson (June 17, 2014 (05:57pm))

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

Re: Eye Sore

The jokes worked great...Until the sunglasses. Probably because there isn't an official part for those, and...

Spoiler (click to read)

the single stud would have been fine for the guy's one eye.

The animation and sets are great, and I like the clever use of crooked angles. The use of nearly all monsters was also a unique and creative idea. BUT, I wouldn't have broken up such a short film by the ads/credits. And all the annotations were really distracting.

Man, you've been putting out a lot of films lately, have you just been super-ambitious, or were these saved up over time?

A five for animation and setting, a four for story/script.

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Man, you've been putting out a lot of films lately, have you just been super-ambitious, or were these saved up over time

It's because he's the brickfilmer BiM needs, but not the one it deserves...or needs to deserve...or needs to...

It's because he's Batman.

I've said this before on YouTube and Flickr, but I really liked this animation. Official Jam Pot Seal of Approval!

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I'm glad you've added a shot where cyclops walks in.  It makes the whole thing feel much better.

I feel like you've done something wrong with the audio, though.  The minotaur's lines sound like they have a tiny bit of cut-off on them.  I thought this might have been of my own error, but I checked and the original seems to be normal.  it probably came from amplifying the audio some.  If it's done too much, then cutoff stuff happens, which sounds awfully weird (Unless, of course, you're going for a speciall type of sound that's supposed to have low audio quality like how I purposefully used a lot of cut-off in Spider's Blink video to make it sound like the original scene from Doctor Who).
I also feel like something is off about the lighting.  Too much of it seems to be coming from too close the direction of the camera itself, which I don't usually fancy that much in itself because of the way the shadows are cast relative to the camera, and also because there is a shot with the pirate where the camera's shadow can be seen.  On top of that, the trees seem to be casting some shadows upon the sky.  To counter this, try moving the background further way from the set and angle the light source as so the trees don't stand between the light and the sky.
The shade of the sky also feels a little bit too deep blue rather than a more azure blue as it should be.

Nice job. The animation was really smooth, and the sets were also good.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Thanks, all!

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Man, you've been putting out a lot of films lately, have you just been super-ambitious, or were these saved up over time?

Kind of. Conquer The World was animated in January, while I animated Wink at the end of April. Eye Sore was animated at the end of May. I had a lot of scripts written during the spring semester that I finally wanted to animate. So I've been trying to finally produce them. I'm trying to animate every week now. It's kind of ambitious so we'll see how it goes.

jampot wrote:

It's because he's the brickfilmer BiM needs, but not the one it deserves...or needs to deserve...or needs to...

It's because he's Batman.

I've said this before on YouTube and Flickr, but I really liked this animation. Official Jam Pot Seal of Approval!

Thanks, man! I really appreciate the support you've given me over these last couple weeks. mini/smile

Squid wrote:

I'm glad you've added a shot where cyclops walks in.  It makes the whole thing feel much better.

I feel like you've done something wrong with the audio, though.  The minotaur's lines sound like they have a tiny bit of cut-off on them.  I thought this might have been of my own error, but I checked and the original seems to be normal.  it probably came from amplifying the audio some.  If it's done too much, then cutoff stuff happens, which sounds awfully weird (Unless, of course, you're going for a speciall type of sound that's supposed to have low audio quality like how I purposefully used a lot of cut-off in Spider's Blink video to make it sound like the original scene from Doctor Who).
I also feel like something is off about the lighting.  Too much of it seems to be coming from too close the direction of the camera itself, which I don't usually fancy that much in itself because of the way the shadows are cast relative to the camera, and also because there is a shot with the pirate where the camera's shadow can be seen.  On top of that, the trees seem to be casting some shadows upon the sky.  To counter this, try moving the background further way from the set and angle the light source as so the trees don't stand between the light and the sky.
The shade of the sky also feels a little bit too deep blue rather than a more azure blue as it should be.

I was worried the audio would be too quiet so I turned the volume up in Sony Vegas. Looks like it had the opposite effect it should've. You think I should re-edit and re-upload to try and fix the problem? It seems like I may have to use the "normalize" effect if I want to make the dialogue loud enough.

As for the lighting, my bulbs can be pretty powerful on white bricks. I had to adjust the lighting that way so the yeti wouldn't glow. Personally I'm fine with the shadows being cast relative to the camera. I wouldn't always want them that way, but for this short I felt pleased with it.

And I don't think it's the trees that are casting the shadows. I built a small mountain behind them. It seems to be casting the shadow on the sky. Also the darker side of the sky on the left of the frame seems to just be from the light ending on the paper. I never really noticed the slight shadow. I had tried really hard to avoid the trees from casting shadows, but you can only do so much when you're limited with table and room size. It stinks because I always enjoy the idea of brickfilms that take place in a wide outside area. mini/sad

Last edited by Walter Benson (June 17, 2014 (12:05pm))

What I usually try to do is amplify my recordings to max or almost max in audacity, then in editing I know that when I change the audio levels I'm only supposed to turn them down but not up.
I also try exporting the video as only an audio track and then checking for any cutoff there, as it shows up quite readily to see where it is.

If Sony Vegas lets me do that I think I'll try it. Thanks. mini/smile

I saw the joke coming, I really did, but I laughed anyways... mini/lol

Well done, it was a very engaging short and a fun one at that.

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm