Topic: Help With Headlights Effect

I am filming a scene for my upcoming film, John Small: Industries of Terror, and I have run into a little road block. The scene that I am attempting to film takes place at night, and is lit up by a collection of police cars and spotlights. Unfortunately, I am unable to make the lights actually light up, so I am asking for help. If you know of any way to have the pieces light up, whether it be post production or on-set effects, please let me know. I have already tried those tiny LED lights, and it made the set way too crowded and cluttered.

For more information, here is the explanation video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TyzlEQ … e=youtu.be

If I hired you to do the effects, first I'd have to see some of your work. If I was satisfied, I would send the raw footage, you would do the effects, and send it back to me. You would be credited for visual effects, and I would be immensely grateful.

Last edited by Edmeier Animator (July 8, 2014 (10:09am))

YouTube Channel Edmeier Animation
Email: [email protected]

Re: Help With Headlights Effect

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3860/14477604076_831003c596_c.jpg

You could use normal sized lights mini/confused you will need to get something like blackwrap to control the light, and then you would need to build some kind of rig to animate the light with your car (ugg) and you still might wan't to add a little CG glow to the head lamp, but on the plus side it would look REALLY GOOD.

Edit:
This is the same image but with a -tiny- amount of lens flare added to each headlight brick, I just created 2 flare objects in After Effects and set the brightness to 15% each, they would need additional work to look good if the practical light was not in the shot.
http://i.imgur.com/XaxNUHV.jpg

Double edit:
Here are blue laser pointers

I think I'll look into those laser pointers, as there is a problem with using normal lights using blackwrap. Most of the scene with the lights is either in the distance, or in a wide shot, so the lights will at least be a good six feet away. At that point, even while trying to control it, it illuminates too much space.

Last edited by Edmeier Animator (June 26, 2014 (07:48am))

Sloth, that shot is sexy.

Rsteenoven, I see on your YouTube channel there are a few VFX tutorials for brickfilms. Is there any way you could help with this?

@Rsteenoven:
Thanks, it kind of makes me want to shoot a night shot with some cars in it, it would be a pain but it would look so cool.

@Edmeirer:
Even if you do use some blue laser pointers to illuminate the headlights you might want to add a headlight beam via post such as this. If you can mask you can do this, the lens flare would be your in shot blue laser pointer and then you just mask a few layers over with a brightness and a heavy feather adjustment and BAM! You've got a headlight.

And for the record, every shot you use a laser pointer to light a brick is an effects shot, every masking shot is an effects shot, a forced perspective shot is an effects shot, you don't need CG for something to qualify as an effect, some effects are in camera, others are not.

SlothPaladin wrote:

@Edmeirer:
Even if you do use some blue laser pointers to illuminate the headlights you might want to add a headlight beam via post such as this. If you can mask you can do this, the lens flare would be your in shot blue laser pointer and then you just mask a few layers over with a brightness and a heavy feather adjustment and BAM! You've got a headlight.

This is VERY helpful, thanks for showing me that. The problem is, I have no editing software save Final Cut..I used to have Adobe Photoshop, but for one, I'm not entirely sure that I can edit videos on it, and plus my old computer crashed, taking my Photoshop with it.. mini/twitch so now I'm trying to find the disk. I'll also look for some other programs, but I don't want to spend a large amount of money just to make one scene.