Topic: Only Human (BRAWL 2014 Entry)

Directory Link

Publicly released version of "Only Human".

I used the Canon Rebel t3i, Dragonframe, Blue Snowball mic, Audacity, iMovie, After Effects, and Garageband in the making of this film.

Made in under a week for BRAWL 2014.

This version is cropped to the aspect ratio I had intended to make it in, the mod element was cropped out of a few places where it would have been unsightly otherwise, which is the reason why this version needs to exist. 

Music was composed and recorded by myself. 

Featuring the voice talents of:
Jorden Davis ( www.youtube.com/user/JonnDthunDer )
Shelby Pritchard ( https://www.youtube.com/user/PritchardStudios )
Philip Heinrich
and Rebekah Schetky.

Special thanks to Philip Heinrich.
And a special thanks to FunSucker for hosting, the judges, and Brickwarriors for supplying the prizes!

Re: Only Human (BRAWL 2014 Entry)

I really liked this entry, however, I felt like it tried to cram in a larger story than it had time to tell.

Spoiler (click to read)

I felt like the two shipwrecked pilots should have spent more time talking together, as they spent very little time talking, making the woman's line about him keeping her company kind of odd, as it looked like they spent 5 minutes or so together before he left. I also felt that there should have been more stuff at the beginning to tie in with the ending voiceover.

If you make an extended edition of this, that would be great.

That opening music has a nice feel to it. Not sure why, but it does.
The voice for the gangster fella could barely be made out, but the others were pretty good. I liked the end voice over, and Smeagol was a great pick for that role.

Now, were you trying to save time on animation? Because the lack of arm and/or hand movements was noticeable.
The montage used low frame rate/basic animation to add motion at a quick speed, and was well balanced. (It looked good, and was at a good speed.)

The effects were shaky in a few shots, but the lighting up of various parts was a good choice, as it had a unique feel and looked cool. The star fields were probably the low point of the effects, with 1:15-1:17 needing some additional cleaning up.

Story-wise, I'll agree that you needed more interaction between the two leads, and....

Spoiler (click to read)

For being stuck alone for twelve years, she didn't seem to be concerned about sending just him off, or about trying to find a solution that would help them both. It was kinda "Hi there, let me help you, and bye!" Perhaps shaving a bit of time at the start would have allowed for more on the planet.

For the sets, nice use of a raised baseplate, but a bit more rocks and stuff would have helped that last set. And the paper seams are visible. The others are detailed, but show signs of being rushed, with a odd brick color or special part thrown in randomly. I like the small ship, though the red, yellow, light bley and black is a bit much. Can't remember what that style of ship is called. It's got a name right? The planet base/ship thing is obviously a gunship, but the modifications make it look more creative and like a crashed ship turned base, which is perfect.

The weakest parts were the talking animation and the star effects, but it's a BRAWL film, time has to be prioritized and some things have to get rushed. But getting 13th shows it's still a solid short. Good job!

Thank you Jordan, thank you for not doing the horrible part.

The guy who got banned more times than DiCaprio said "f***" in The Wolf Of Wall Street.

Well done.

It's a good one, but my one gripe is that the minifigures always appear jittery when speaking. But, I can easily forgo that since, as Max Butcher, has put it, it's never fun to animate dialogue with minifigs. Nice job, dude.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Wilco66 wrote:

I really liked this entry, however, I felt like it tried to cram in a larger story than it had time to tell.

Spoiler (click to read)

I felt like the two shipwrecked pilots should have spent more time talking together, as they spent very little time talking, making the woman's line about him keeping her company kind of odd, as it looked like they spent 5 minutes or so together before he left. I also felt that there should have been more stuff at the beginning to tie in with the ending voiceover.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Story-wise, I'll agree that you needed more interaction between the two leads, and....

Spoiler (click to read)

For being stuck alone for twelve years, she didn't seem to be concerned about sending just him off, or about trying to find a solution that would help them both. It was kinda "Hi there, let me help you, and bye!" Perhaps shaving a bit of time at the start would have allowed for more on the planet.

Yeah, I know.  Both of you basically said the same thing so I'll just have like one larger answer.

Spoiler (click to read)

It just came down to not having time to have any more dialog between the both of them.  My intention with the story was this: I was going to have two parts, a medieval part, and this part.  The medieval part was going to show some of the worst of humanity, pretty much just a very brutal scene with two evil men (there was more plot to it that that, but that was the point).  Then there would be the space part, showing the best of humanity in that he wasn't perfect, smuggler type outlaw guy, say Han Solo/Peter Quill kinda guy.  Then the woman that had been stranded there for who-knows-how-long finds him when he crashes and she understands that it's basically impossible to get back there (uncharted star systems and all), and the ship was a one seater and with the parts from both there was only one trip.  So she makes the ultimate sacrifice for this man she doesn't know, she essentially gives him the chance to leave the planet and have a life at the cost of her own life.  They would have talked a bit and stuff, which is where she figures out what he was doing and that he's not perfect. 
So the two parts combined would have shown best/worst and then the ending narration would have happened, basically saying "hey, no matter how much the world develops around us we as humans basically stay the same, we choose to be good or bad, what are you going to choose?"

Obviously that didn't all come across as well as I had hoped because I had to cut a lot and really shorten it down.  Which explains why the start needed more to tie in with the voiceover and where any interactions between them went.

Thanks for the feedback, that helps!  It's sometimes hard for me to read/watch things without my preconceived notions of what it will seem like.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

That opening music has a nice feel to it. Not sure why, but it does.
The voice for the gangster fella could barely be made out, but the others were pretty good. I liked the end voice over, and Smeagol was a great pick for that role.

Thanks, it was my first time doing the music for anything so it was interesting to try.  I'm glad you liked the music!
Again, I knew what he was supposed to be saying so it made sense to me.  I shouldn't have added so many filters.  If I finish the aforementioned parts, I'll fix that in that release.  And yeah, I was really happy with all the voice actors (except that Jorden guy, his seemed a bit iffy, idk). 

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Now, were you trying to save time on animation? Because the lack of arm and/or hand movements was noticeable.

Uhh...yes, yes I was.  I still have trouble with decent dialog animation, and with the time, I tried to improvise by adding a weird little wiggle to the minifigs.  Better than nothing at least.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

The effects were shaky in a few shots, but the lighting up of various parts was a good choice, as it had a unique feel and looked cool. The star fields were probably the low point of the effects, with 1:15-1:17 needing some additional cleaning up.

For space lighting, blacklights are the best thing since sliced bread.  So much fun, and helps things look really cool. 
This was the first time I'd ever done anything close to a greenscreen, let alone a particle field for a star background.  So this was literally my first try every doing anything like that, so in that sense it's not bad.  But it definitely did need some more work. 
If it weren't BRAWL I'm confident it could have been a lot better.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

And the paper seams are visible....I like the small ship, though the red, yellow, light bley and black is a bit much. Can't remember what that style of ship is called. It's got a name right?

I couldn't figure something out to do about the paper seams with the time frame, which was disappointing because it is really noticeable.  I'll certainly try and fix that for any future projects.
I can't remember the name of the spaceship, I got the instructions online a few years ago and have sense lost where they're from, I've had it built for probably 4 years.  The original looked better, it was mostly just blue and yellow.  I had to change it around a little for the mod element and because of piece restrictions I had.

Thanks so much for the feedback Pritchard and Wilco, I really appreciate the critique and nice comments!
Thanks Mickey and Antonio!  Brickelodeon, you're

Spoiler (click to read)

not really

welcome.  I'm sad I didn't get to do that part mini/sad