Re: The Brickfilm Archival Project

An excellent idea; I've been doing this myself on my own for a while now. We should talk at some point.

Paganomation wrote:

An excellent idea; I've been doing this myself on my own for a while now. We should talk at some point.

More help and films are always appreciated. mini/smile
A lot of the people involved in the project are chat regulars if you want to talk.

Hey I just found out about this so I wanted to add my two cents here.

I've archived a lot of the original Brickfilms.com film directory and did a lot of work (up until 3-4 years ago) on archiving the Bricks in Motion film directory as well. (I guess this is why you've made me a honorary archivist, Nathan.) There's some bad news too, though.

I had a hard drive burn out on me a couple of months ago. Unfortunately, I could not retrieve any of the archive data. The good news is that the Brickfilms.com archive should still be completely intact - I backed that up on DVDs a long time ago. Most of the Bricks in Motion archive, however, is lost. And to make it worse, the files I used (simple Excel sheets) to keep track of which file corresponds to which film are also mostly lost.

It's amazing to see this project coming together. When I became less active actually making films, I started archiving. The community and culture has always, and continues to be, very important to me, and it was also important to me to make sure the awesomeness is preserved. I am quite busy at the moment, but as soon as I get some free time (which should be in about a month) I will salvage as much of the stuff I have as possible.

Seeing how much work has gone into this (and knowing how much more I have in my own archive) really has me itching to work on this. Let's do this guys! (but not right now sorry)

- BertL

Yay! More films! mini/bigsmile

BertL wrote:

Hey I just found out about this so I wanted to add my two cents here.

I've archived a lot of the original Brickfilms.com film directory and did a lot of work (up until 3-4 years ago) on archiving the Bricks in Motion film directory as well. (I guess this is why you've made me a honorary archivist, Nathan.) There's some bad news too, though.

I had a hard drive burn out on me a couple of months ago. Unfortunately, I could not retrieve any of the archive data. The good news is that the Brickfilms.com archive should still be completely intact - I backed that up on DVDs a long time ago. Most of the Bricks in Motion archive, however, is lost. And to make it worse, the files I used (simple Excel sheets) to keep track of which file corresponds to which film are also mostly lost.

It's amazing to see this project coming together. When I became less active actually making films, I started archiving. The community and culture has always, and continues to be, very important to me, and it was also important to me to make sure the awesomeness is preserved. I am quite busy at the moment, but as soon as I get some free time (which should be in about a month) I will salvage as much of the stuff I have as possible.

Seeing how much work has gone into this (and knowing how much more I have in my own archive) really has me itching to work on this. Let's do this guys! (but not right now sorry)

- BertL

>Posts by BertL

Today (1:09am)

December 29th, 2013 (3:53pm)

WHAT.
Hello again. mini/bigsmile

I don't make Brickfilms. I trade virtual hats.

It's great to see you emerging from the dark, brooding forests of My Sims 3, alive and well, Bert. mini/lol  And it's relieving to hear that you've been able to back up your share of films.

Last edited by Mickey (October 3, 2014 (06:32pm))

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Thanks, guys. It's good to be back.

So after doing some digging I am pretty sure most of the files are actually intact. I've uploaded the database files to the interwebs so you guys can work with it. Keep in mind, however, that these files are very old. I've added a short guide on how to read these files as well for help. You can find the files here:

http://poopcake.netau.net/archive/

However, collecting and uploading the actual film files themselves is a different story. I also have no idea how to get them anywhere accessible to the public (or even just to other archivers). It's gonna take some time to figure out all of that. (I'm open to ideas here...)

This should give plenty of material to sort out. Keep in mind that I do not know for sure yet whether the BiM files are still intact.

By the way, I realize you may be busy so you most likely just haven't had the time to check the suggestions, but I sent you a Leftfield film that I didn't see on the list and since it still isn't on the list, I'm wondering if I've maybe submitted it badly or something.

If you just haven't had the time to check it, then never mind. I was just wondering if maybe I made an error or there was an error with you receiving the form.

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

Tobias wrote:

By the way, I realize you may be busy so you most likely just haven't had the time to check the suggestions, but I sent you a Leftfield film that I didn't see on the list and since it still isn't on the list, I'm wondering if I've maybe submitted it badly or something.

If you just haven't had the time to check it, then never mind. I was just wondering if maybe I made an error or there was an error with you receiving the form.

I don't get or handle the requests, but which film?

END films wrote:
Tobias wrote:

A Rhapsody in Blue.

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

Tobias wrote:
END films wrote:
Tobias wrote:

A Rhapsody in Blue.

Never seen that one before. mini/smile

Catching up on posts now that the BiM Doc Kickstarter is over. The Archive continues!

Paganomation wrote:

Fantastic! I'll send you an email soon.

BertL wrote:

Thanks, guys. It's good to be back.

So after doing some digging I am pretty sure most of the files are actually intact. I've uploaded the database files to the interwebs so you guys can work with it. Keep in mind, however, that these files are very old. I've added a short guide on how to read these files as well for help. You can find the files here:

http://poopcake.netau.net/archive/

However, collecting and uploading the actual film files themselves is a different story. I also have no idea how to get them anywhere accessible to the public (or even just to other archivers). It's gonna take some time to figure out all of that. (I'm open to ideas here...)

This should give plenty of material to sort out. Keep in mind that I do not know for sure yet whether the BiM files are still intact.

Wonderful news! Welcome back Bert! Have you considered using Google Drive or Dropbox to upload the films in batches? Is that a viable option?

Tobias wrote:

A Rhapsody in Blue.

No worries, you submitted everything correctly! I've just been behind on my archivist duties. I've downloaded the film and it should be added to the archive soon. Thanks!

Good news, everyone!

The archive is completely intact and now resides on my hard drive. Apart from the complete Brickfilms and BiM archives (that is, everything I have of that), I also have some more films (although I unfortunately lost the labels for them), and even some Geocities websites!

Nathan Wells wrote:

Wonderful news! Welcome back Bert! Have you considered using Google Drive or Dropbox to upload the films in batches? Is that a viable option?

Thanks, Nathan!

Yes, I think that would be a good option - split the archive into separate zip files and uploading those one by one. With a website like WeTransfer I would have about 23 files to upload, which is doable.

I am also considering making a torrent out of the thing. This should give you (and other downloaders) some more freedom to pick and choose which files you actually want to have. Of course this might be redundant if you want to just have the whole thing.

Either works fine for me (and probably with equal amounts of effort too, as I've never made my own torrents before), so I guess I'll leave it up to you to decide which way you prefer.

BertL wrote:

Good news, everyone!

I've been watching a lot of Futurama recently, and I read that in the Professor's voice without even thinking about it mini/tongue . I'm so happy this is going well. When it gets to a point that it's fairly complete, organized and available I'm totally going to have a crazy brickfilm binge session.

Looks like I will have a lot of downloading to do. mini/smile

BertL wrote:

Yes, I think that would be a good option - split the archive into separate zip files and uploading those one by one. With a website like WeTransfer I would have about 23 files to upload, which is doable.

I am also considering making a torrent out of the thing. This should give you (and other downloaders) some more freedom to pick and choose which files you actually want to have. Of course this might be redundant if you want to just have the whole thing.

Either works fine for me (and probably with equal amounts of effort too, as I've never made my own torrents before), so I guess I'll leave it up to you to decide which way you prefer.

WeTransfer seems like the best option. I'd rather have all of the files so I can sort through all of them. I'm sure it will be redundant, but we don't want to lose anything in the chaos of transferring files. Let me know when the files are ready to download and I'll get started!

I'll get right to it.

Double post but I don't care cuz I'm edgy like that.

Just thought I'd give a heads up that I'll be uploading my stuff over the weekend. WeTransfer will only keep the files for a week, so be quick about downloading them!

I'll be standing by! Just post again or PM me when the files are ready!

BertL wrote:

Double post but I don't care cuz I'm edgy like that.

Just thought I'd give a heads up that I'll be uploading my stuff over the weekend. WeTransfer will only keep the files for a week, so be quick about downloading them!

Look forward to downloading them after Nathan Wells converts them. mini/smile

Also, are animated .gif files allowed for profile pictures? Because yours is definitely blinking. mini/tongue