Topic: [THAC XII] Umbrella Umbrage

Directory Link

Umbrella Umbrage

Youtube

My entry into THAC XII.

Re: [THAC XII] Umbrella Umbrage

Very nice! I really like the humor, and the silent film aspect. I especially liked how you made a film in one shot. No camera changes, not scene changes. The sound effects added to it. mini/smile

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I like this fun little film. It's got an amusing atmosphere the whole way through. The animation is good, and the quick movements really benefit the comedic tone.

rioforce wrote:

Very nice! I really like the humor, and the silent film aspect. I especially liked how you made a film in one shot. No camera changes, not scene changes. The sound effects added to it. mini/smile

Thanks, rioforce! I appreciate the feedback! 

Mighty Wanderer wrote:

I like this fun little film. It's got an amusing atmosphere the whole way through. The animation is good, and the quick movements really benefit the comedic tone.

I'm glad you liked it, Mighty Wanderer. I thought the animation might have been a little rushed at times, but I'm glad it worked out for the better. Thanks for commenting. mini/smile

I really liked this one as it reminded me of the one-shot THAC films there used to be more of. A simple and fun short suits THAC perfectly and you pulled it off with some nice animation and lighting. I liked the lights of the cars driving by; that was a nice touch.

sillypenta wrote:

I really liked this one as it reminded me of the one-shot THAC films there used to be more of. A simple and fun short suits THAC perfectly and you pulled it off with some nice animation and lighting. I liked the lights of the cars driving by; that was a nice touch.

I'm very glad you enjoyed it, sillypenta. mini/smile For the cars driving by, I just an LED flashlight that I found lying at the bottom of my closet. Thanks for the feedback!

This is a really nice entry.  I love the simple yet complete feel of the story; it has a sort of old-fashioned and warm-hearted feeling that is highly enjoyable.  I also like the fact it's a single shot, it suits the style of the film very well.  The replacement animation for the umbrella opening and the lighting (especially of the cars driving by) is very well done.  Aside from a few set bumps and some light flicker at the end (which are minor complaints), this entry is great.  Excellent job!

(By the way, what happened to your older films?  Did you delete your YouTube channel?)

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Mr Vertigo wrote:

This is a really nice entry.  I love the simple yet complete feel of the story; it has a sort of old-fashioned and warm-hearted feeling that is highly enjoyable.  I also like the fact it's a single shot, it suits the style of the film very well.  The replacement animation for the umbrella opening and the lighting (especially of the cars driving by) is very well done.  Aside from a few set bumps and some light flicker at the end (which are minor complaints), this entry is great.  Excellent job!

Thank you, Mr Vertigo! mini/smile Early on in the contest, I decided that my initial idea wasn't going to work out, so I came up with this idea, and thought it would be best to film it in one shot. I'm really glad it was effective.

Mr Vertigo wrote:

(By the way, what happened to your older films?  Did you delete your YouTube channel?)

During the whole Google+ ordeal, I somehow managed to delete my channel. Silly me. mini/lol Although, I believe I still have my films on my computer; perhaps I could re-upload them.

This is one of my favorite films.  I really appreciate the lovely set, the sweetness and simplicity of the story, the smooth animation, and the nice lighting touches that added to the realism of the film.  Great job!

Brick7 wrote:

This is one of my favorite films.  I really appreciate the lovely set, the sweetness and simplicity of the story, the smooth animation, and the nice lighting touches that added to the realism of the film.  Great job!

Thank you for the kind words, Brick7! mini/smile

This was a one-shot masterpiece, the story it told was interesting, the set was superb, and the ending was nice, keep up the great work mini/smile

I HAVE RETURNED!!!
Youtube
PunBB bbcode test

I must say that the more I watch this film the more it grows on me.  The phrase "beauty in simplicity" definitely comes to mind here.  The sets were beautiful, the lighting was great (loved the car headlights effect), and the atmosphere you created through animation and sound was superb.  I look forward to seeing more films from you in the future!

Last edited by BuilderBrothers (January 7, 2015 (01:17am))

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BuilderBrothers/signatures/thac14sig.png

It's a cute and simple little idea, with a nice, gentle atmosphere to go with it, plus some cool lighting. Great job!

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

The set here was stellar, as was the animation of the umbrella flapping. The rain was also well implemented. Bravo.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

I have to admit a guilty secret. I've watched this film multiple times.
There's so much to take it that it warrants repeated viewings.
The depth of the sets is pure eye candy.
Using different variations of lego bricks to create the illusion of 'umbrella animation' was very inspiring.
The sound effects and the music track mesh together quite well.

Excellent work.

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

MotionHero2001 wrote:

This was a one-shot masterpiece, the story it told was interesting, the set was superb, and the ending was nice, keep up the great work mini/smile

Much appreciation, thanks MotionHero2001!

BuilderBrothers wrote:

The sets were beautiful, the lighting was great (loved the car headlights effect), and the atmosphere you created through animation and sound was superb.

For this film, I definitely wanted to emphasize lighting and sound design. I really appreciate the feedback, BuilderBrothers mini/smile Thank you!

Mickey wrote:

It's a cute and simple little idea, with a nice, gentle atmosphere to go with it, plus some cool lighting. Great job!

Thanks, Mickey!

Sean wrote:

The set here was stellar, as was the animation of the umbrella flapping. The rain was also well implemented. Bravo.

Thank you, Sean! I really appreicate the feedback. For the set I just used the Parisian Restaurant set mini/wink I took the top two layers off so I could implement lighting inside the building.

dewfilms wrote:

I have to admit a guilty secret. I've watched this film multiple times.

That just made my day, dewfilms mini/smile Thank you so much!

dewfilms wrote:

Using different variations of lego bricks to create the illusion of 'umbrella animation' was very inspiring.

I was a little worried that the umbrella effect might have been too subtle; I'm glad it worked out mini/smile

I really liked this entry. Very simple, but I think that is why. It had some heart to it. Great job!

I'm a sucker for long-take films like this, having tried it a few times myself. I enjoyed the visual storytelling and the general concept; the set design was nice as well. I loved how you used lights passing with a sound effect by to imply cars driving past without showing them directly, that was creative.

A more convincing rain effect and lighting that looks more gloomy, contrasty, and dramatic (instead of a night-for-day type tint effect) would have added some visual flare to this film, I think. When you have to look at the same shot for the whole film, I think it really helps if that shot is beautiful to look at as much as possible.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

AnW wrote:

I really liked this entry. Very simple, but I think that is why. It had some heart to it. Great job!

Thanks, AnW!

Sméagol wrote:

I loved how you used lights passing with a sound effect by to imply cars driving past without showing them directly, that was creative.

I really appreciate the compliment, Sméagol mini/smile Thank you! I used a flashlight for the car driving past and I wasn't quite sure how it would turn out, but once I added the sound, it really tied everything together.

Sméagol wrote:

A more convincing rain effect and lighting that looks more gloomy, contrasty, and dramatic (instead of a night-for-day type tint effect) would have added some visual flare to this film, I think.

I definitely agree. For the rain, I wanted to do some kind of on-set effect, but I couldn't quite figure out how. The rain in the final film is one of my first attempts with visual effects (I still need quite a bit of practice). I also thought about adding a street lamp with a glow, however, I wasn't quite sure how to pull that off either and I didn't want to lose any time. Thanks again, Sméagol! mini/smile

For the rain, I wanted to do some kind of on-set effect, but I couldn't quite figure out how. The rain in the final film is one of my first attempts with visual effects (I still need quite a bit of practice). I also thought about adding a street lamp with a glow, however, I wasn't quite sure how to pull that off either and I didn't want to lose any time. Thanks again, Sméagol! mini/smile

Not even sure what I'd suggest. The rain I used in Unrenewable (spritzes from a fine-misting spray bottle) would get pretty hard to work with on a longer shot, and you had paper props, too, that would have been destroyed by real water over that many frames.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png