Topic: Your First Brickfilm

The point of this topic is to post the first brickfilm you have available. Then, if you can remember, the equipment and software you used to create it. The idea is to see how much you have improved with everything.

Here's mine:
The Spelling Bee
I used a Kodak DC3800 Zoom Digital point-and-shoot, which focused awfully to film, Sound Recorder for voices, and Windows Movie Maker 2.6, all with an old Windows XP Media Center computer.
It's terrible, but it's my first.

uh oh!

Re: Your First Brickfilm

Windel Hexington and the Brick of Secrets

The camera was a video camera - the RCA Small Wonder EZ201A that I'd gotten for my 11th birthday. It had absolutely no features to take only still pictures, so, I had to find a workaround - I realized that I could click the pause button (usually used for watching back clips) during recording - thus 'pausing' the film during recording. It was totally barbaric and very frustrating; on top of the horrible quality. Yet, somehow, I managed.

I had an Acer Aspire Windows Vista laptop back then, and thus, used Windows Movie Maker 6.0 as my editor. Vocal recording was done through my laptop's built in mic, which, I originally used to "bootleg" the Indiana Jones theme. - But, I'm pretty sure that I took that out before uploading to youtube.

Originally, there were to be two sequels, making the whole thing a trilogy, however, only part 2 was ever completed - and my Vista computer crashed soon afterwards, deleting all that I hadn't uploaded or transferred yet...

I doubt many (if anyone) can top that one mini/tongue That's pretty limited and barbaric as far as filmmaking goes. But, I overcame those handycaps and pressed on. I'm glad to see just how far I've come since summer of 2007.

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

This is always a fun topic whenever it rolls around. I've never posted my first films online as they were lying on an unused hard-drive, but my brother recently rescued everything brickfilm-related on it and I now have these masterpieces to hand:

My first animation test, LEGO Dance:
This was a test I made after watching the films of Blunty. It was filmed with a Panasonic VDR-D100 camcorder on my kitchen floor and the process was captured as one long video clip. To extract the frames, I played the video and screen-capped each frame once my hands were out of shot! I can't believe I had the patience for such a ridiculous process. Also notice the basic, poorly designed set. Oh, wait...

My first "film", Benny n' Lee episode 0: Benny's Hangover:
After a good few more tests, I attempted a video with speech and some sort of a plot in September 2007. Benny and Lee had been appearing in some of my tests (with their names swapped initally) as obviously the first thing us 2007 noobs did was create a dynamic duo. In this film, Lee comes home to find Benny hungover. The other people in the house were meant to have been guests at Benny's mad session but I never conveyed that thought in the film. An early version of the Skelly is seen, although he is not yet a skeleton and is much more obviously a BoB rip-off.

This is the only video in which I voiced Benny as well as Lee, even if Benny only grunts. The voices were recorded with a packed-in microphone from a 2000 Gateway PC (I still use the speakers it came with to this day!). Frames were captured with a Fujifilm S5500 digital camera, which I also used for all my other 2007 films. This filename of this video calls it Episode 1, but it was never uploaded to the internet and when the later, ill-fated first episode was released, we started referring to this as Episode 0. It mightn't be great but it's more watchable than episode 1.

My very earliest attempt at a brickfilm was in 2004 and was mostly live-action but did include some rudimentary stop-motion. Plot-wise, it was more ambitious than the other early brickfilms I made and was about life in a police station and an evil guy breaking out of prison. This is unfortunately completely lost.

(Maybe this would be better suited in the "General Film Discussion" forum. mini/smile )

The Time in Need: LEGO Nativity Story

This was my first stop-motion brickfilm. I made a couple LEGO films before this, but they were all video camera films with no stop-motion. This was made on December 1th, 2007 (as the time-stamp says mini/tongue ) on the floor of my living room. Made in less than a day, I tried to re-tell the Nativity Story. I did not have a script, instead, I had the Bible open, just filming based of specific verses. I recorded voices after I animated it. The reason part of the film is out of order, is because someone in my family told me that I don't have to animate it in chronological order, so I didn't, but forgot to re-arrange it. It was filmed with a little Kodak EasyShare Z700 digital camera (which I still have in my closet, though it is not working well anymore). A little Logitech microphone was used for audio (which I also still have, but it's broken, though, it still works). I edited it in Windows Movie Maker on Windows XP.

It's not really a good film, but it was my first. I do have a playlist of my second and third brickfilms (but actually, the third film was not completed until about a year later when I discovered the frames in a folder).

But I actually stopped brickfilming after 2008 (I think?), and moved on to live-action films. In 2011, I started back again with this film, and continued until the end of 2012. I started back once again in December 2013 with a small short which I never released, and have not stopped since! mini/bigsmile

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Animator Trouble

Computer - HP PAVILION (We upgraded not long after we moved.)
Camera - Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000
Animating Program - The free stop motion program disc that came with the web camera
Editing Program - Windows Movie Maker
Microphone - A very cheap Logitech desktop mic for $9.99 (not recommended)
Lego - Two of those blue Lego Basic buckets and a few Star Wars sets.

Once upon a time, there was this article in the November 2003 issue of Wired Magazine.
This article featured the art of brickfilming, BF.com and Chris Salt (aka Buxton/0ldScratch).
After reading the article many MANY times, I then visited BF.com and binge watched every film in the directory.
Then I came to the conclusion that, "I just had to try this."

Soooo, a couple of weeks later...
Went to the store, picked up a web camera and other supplies, took them home and started goofing around.
Animator Trouble was the result of this 'playing/goofing' around. The hand in the film is actually my better half's hand.
No lamps, no sound, no taping down baseplates, no basic rules...just pure silliness.

And...the rest is history. mini/smile

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

I sort of have two first brickfilms. Before I knew brickfilming was a thing, my friend and I made this thing (part 2 if you're a glutton for punishment) the same way Dyland did his, a short video clip for each movement (though it was done with a digital camera), and talking behind the camera for audio, which is why no one ever moves and talks at the same time. Most of the way through I realized we could just use still shots, so the scene on the "island" is done this way, with what is technically stop-motion. Neither of us had any idea stop-motion existed, despite having seen Wallace and Gromit (and Spite Your Face's LEGO version of the Monty Python Camelot song, I had actually seen a brickfilm already mini/tongue), so we invented it ourselves. Don't ask how this got nearly 800,000 views, I have no idea. When our friend saw it, he said "Have you guys seen LEGO the Force Unleashed?" and we said no. He proceeded to show us FancyPants' masterpiece of animation, and my jaw dropped. I promptly went home and spent hours watching brickfilms, followed by a series of lengthy YouTube sessions over the course of which I watched every decent brickfilm I could find.

I then realized I had everything I needed to try this myself (and in fact, had already done so), and set to work making this video, because why not try masking in your first animation? mini/tongue It was shot on a Canon XTi, with me pressing the shutter for every frame (hence the severe shaking), edited on Pinnacle Studio version 11, and I recorded audio onto audacity with a terrible mic that came with a cheap keyboard (as in piano). It's really hard to watch, but at the time I of course though it was decent, and kept on going and slowly improving.

My first brickfilm was a small war scene.

It was created with a GE VHS-C Camcorder. My editor was a VCR. Music was added by hooking the stereo/tapedeck to the VCR and recording the parts of the cassette tape or record I wanted in it.

Special effects were done by wring togethr some BlackCat firecrackers and hoping the fuse was long enough for me to get out of frame.  >.>

Fun times. Fun times.

I don't have any type of link but maybe some day I'll find tape and get it online somehow.

I really have no idea what my first animation was. I must have deleted it or something because I don't see it anywhere. Anyway, I used the iSight camera stuck to the top of my MacBook Pro, and used FrameByFrame to animate. Then I exported it, and watched it.

My first animation.. Unfortunately it was this.
http://youtu.be/7QB4dIs9UaI
My first brickfilm:
http://youtu.be/sGeJJkxVS9o
Though to be honest, hardly any LEGO was used apart from the minifigures.
I used some old Microsoft webcam and windows movie maker.

My first Brickfilm was Attack of the LEGOs it was 21 minuets long, we had a sequal we started making before discovering Brickfilms.com, Attack of the LEGOs: Revenge of the Order of Darkness, it is also 21 minuets long, both are pretty bad.

First published brickfilm

Also my only published brickfilm. I'll do more soon, honest!

Mine is Lego Pan Am.  It's just a quartet of Lego Cube Dude stewardesses from the ABC series assembling themselves and strolling off.  I filmed it at work , holding the camera in my hand with each frame!  I marked borders so I can line the frames up in post-production!  I used Vegas Studio 6 then, I think.  The camera is the one I still use today, a Sony CyberShot WSC 540 or some number like it.  It's no longer online but it's on the HOO episode 1 DVD.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

My firsts brickfilm(s)- http://youtu.be/VXk_SiRDYgU
I made them at two different week long charles m. shultz museum summer activity class thingies.

Last edited by END films (January 17, 2015 (01:33pm))

Here's mine.
Super farmer and the alien invasion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3si55L … j8Nu6aHKTB

Last edited by Smocktopus (January 29, 2016 (10:22am))

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

Coulda sworn we already had one of these threads. Anyways, my first brickfilm was first uploaded to YouTube in July 2010, back when I would make a new brickfilm everyday (as well as publish one everyday). At 35 seconds long, it was called Just A Regular Family, and it was completely unscripted and unprofessionally made, but we've all gotta start somewhere. I actually think I even made a "long-awaited sequel", as I remember the video description saying.

Since its deletion long ago, along with most of my older videos that I had made when I was only ten years old, I've made no plans to re-release it or reconstruct it--even considering how short it is. But, what follows in this post is a rough memory of how the film went along.

*LIGHT FLICKER*
*MIC BLOWING*
*MOUTH-MADE SOUND FX*
BOY: Hey, mom! I'm home!
MOM: Hi!
*MORE MOUTH-MADE FOOTSTEPS*
BOY: Hey, dad. Do you think I could go out skating later?
DAD: No, go do your homework.
*HEAVY AND DEAFENING SIGH BLOWN INTO MIC*
BOY: Okay.
*FOOTSTEPS PROCEED OFFSCREEN*
*CUT TO BEDROOM SHOT*
*DOOR SWINGS OPEN*
*DEAFENING MOUTH-MADE FOOTSTEP SOUNDS*
*BOY WALKS INTO ROOM*
BOY: Oh. Wait. I don't have any homework!

Yup, a brickfilm that is lost to cyberspace and bears no existence on this Earth any longer. A brickfilm that lies at the bottom of the underbelly of a legacy, one that presently exists solely because of onion rings and critically-panned Josh Brolin movies. A brickfilm so unknown to its viewers, that there are no closing credits at the end that spell out the name of the then-elementary schooler that created it. A brickfilm so unfunny, that its own video description lauds it as "funny".

This, my friends, is what started it all.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Mickey wrote:

Yup, a brickfilm that is lost to cyberspace and bears no existence on this Earth any longer...

I'm afraid that some of my "early" brickfilms have a similar fate - they were wiped from my first laptop when it crashed...

Mickey wrote:

I actually think I even made a "long-awaited sequel", as I remember the video description saying.

Me too mini/tongue - Mine was "Windel Hexington 2 - The Telescope of Mystery."

I still remember that film fondly, however, as, it was the first video I did with an actual still camera. But, alas, it is gone - probably forever. I've often contemplated "remaking" it, just much bigger and grander, in the form of a Johnny Thunder sequel. But, it may just lie as it is - awaiting a brief mention in an autobiography someday. mini/tongue

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

I mentioned that my 1st brickfilm isn't online, but I forgot that I had a few stills posted on my tumblr page.  Here's one of them:

http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md6bdyqLPy1risd4oo1_500.jpg

Notice the red marks in the corner, which I used to frame the shot, since I shot the whole thing freely by hand rather than brace it with something!

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Many moons ago (i.e. in 2012), past me toyed with the idea of taking up brickfilming.  Having been a lifelong fan of LEGO, I had chanced upon Pirates Rule! and How Not to Rob a Bank.  'Twas these two Brickfilms that inspired in me the prospect of participating in this very form of artistry, and in the process, became a guiding light to an awed me who was as of then uninitiated in the ways of Brickfilming.  I shot a few horrifically bad tests and even a 20-second or so long video brought into existence by a Canon Digital IXUS 95 IS and animated by the magic of Windows Movie Maker.  They have now been lost to the mists of time thanks to my old computer expiring and dragging everything stored upon it into whatever Nirvana computer files go to when their physical form of storage ceases to exist.

Then I joined Bricks in Motion and actually learned about the concepts of frame rates, light flicker, and not using your bedroom floor to animate stuff on.  I made The Time Machine in early 2013, proudly displaying it to the world via this beautiful website and YouTube.  The motivating factor behind this nascent cinematic endeavour of mine was a local youth festival with the theme of "Back to the Future".  Said film was displayed upon the screen of the local cinema, allowing me (and a bunch of other random parents and kids) to enjoy it in glorious cinematic big-screen-ness.  I was encouraged by this early success despite my entry getting royally snubbed by the festival organisers which ignited in me a burning desire to drink more of this beauteous nectar that is known as Brickfilming.

So now you know the epic tale of how I came to set upon this path of artistic endeavour and tiny plastic figures.

srsly

As far as first efforts go, I've been told that this is pretty good, though I kinda cringe when I see how wobbly and choppy my animation was.  I guess it's good to see how far I've come (not that I'm an especially good animator
now...).  It also actually got me interested in film and stuff, which is not too bad I suppose.

Mickey wrote:

a legacy, one that presently exists solely because of onion rings and critically-panned Josh Brolin movies.

But you must admit that it is a beautiful legacy, is it not?

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (January 22, 2015 (03:29pm))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Hmm, now I feel guilty deleting everything I ever did before 2014... mini/tongue  But whatever. I actually had some decent films, surprised I deleted everything.

Anyways I always used this free app on my iPod to make everything, then I realized there was iMovie for iPod. I was then able to add sound. (Wow) I then began creating random tests, films, montages... All sorts of things. After that I stopped for some reason around 2011 ish. Resuming at the beginning of 2014 creating this...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL8ZQC … o0nhSMnyxI     

It was very lame but I still sent it to a few friends, one of them telling me to make a YouTube channel and put it there, I continued on to make several dumb shorts like such until numerous people told me to make a longer one. After much convincing I finally started work on this new film I called Mission: Banana

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AcyqQ-AU764

It took me about a week, maybe, to do the entire thing. After it became well loved by many of my friends and family I decided to make more, and to (semi) seriously get into brickfilming.

After a couple of failed films I released a (somewhat big) film called Squidman. I considered it amazing at the time but now I realize how bad it actually was.

Later I got a computer and webcam and stuff and failed and failed and failed and failed...  I have about 2 full films completely wasted since then because they were just terrible. And then I did THAC and it all got better. The end.

-RandomBoaz    YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_dY6z1c32w

Featuring excellent voice acting by 10-year-old me.