Re: Need an editing program

Harborlight Productions wrote:
Top Hat wrote:

I'll consider the rest of these, too. Thanks, everyone! This is very helpful.

Harborlight Productions wrote:

I'd get Dragonframe for frame capturing.

I'm just looking for an editing program right now. I asked about Dragonframe because I was under the impression it had a built-in editor. If it was a good one, I figured I could buy that and the main function of the program would be like a bonus! mini/lol

Yep. But I would still recommend getting Dragonframe in the future. mini/yes

I absolutely plan to... when I can afford it. mini/tongue  Right now I am in dire need of an editor, and can't afford to get both.

I have another question. I'm trying to decide whether to just get Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum, or go ahead and buy the Sony Movie Studio 13 Suite. From what I can tell, the things that the Suite includes and Platinum doesn't are:

FXHOME video effects
Sound Forge Audio Studio 10 with Vocal Eraser tool
NewBlueFX 3D Titling and Video Effects
BorisFX video effects units
Tutorial DVD

I can't tell exactly what each of these is, but I got a general idea. FXHOME has a number of visual effects programs. The main one I'd be interested in is PhotoKey, which is a chroma key (greenscreen) program. I don't know if this is included in Suite or not, nor if Platinum has any kind of chroma key tools.

Sound Forge doesn't sound like it does anything more than Audacity.

The rest I think I can do without.

So does anyone happen to know anything about these features, and whether I'm going to want them? Anyone know what chroma key tools are available in Platinum or Suite? If not, I guess I'll just buy Platinum, and if it's not good enough, upgrade.

The Suite is not much more.

The FXHOME video effects are just some effects from the FXHOME software imported into Movie Studio. I don't know what kind of effects you need, but I have never found a need for any more than Movie Studio has. When I need something more, I usually use Blender or some other effects program.

Sound Forge is good, but I think it comes with Platinum too (at least, it did in version 12 when I got it). I have no idea what the Vocal Eraser tool is. Sound Forge is kind of like Audacity.

NewBlueFX is probably a lot like FXHOME. It's an imported package. It's probably not really needed either.

And a tutorial DVD isn't necessary either. Movie Studio is pretty basic. Anything you don't understand can be found in the help file or online.

One thing, though, you may want to look at the screenshots of Movie Studio 13. The interface has been enlarged to make it easier for tablets. That's fine, unless you're using a computer, then it could get in the way. I recommend you research if you can make the interface small again before you purchase. If you can't, I recommend version 12 (like I said in a former post).

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

rioforce wrote:

The FXHOME video effects are just some effects from the FXHOME software imported into Movie Studio. I don't know what kind of effects you need, but I have never found a need for any more than Movie Studio has.

One thing, though, you may want to look at the screenshots of Movie Studio 13. The interface has been enlarged to make it easier for tablets. That's fine, unless you're using a computer, then it could get in the way. I recommend you research if you can make the interface small again before you purchase. If you can't, I recommend version 12 (like I said in a former post).

So do you have any kind of chroma key/green screen tools in 12 Platinum? That is something I am going to need. I can probably get it from a separate, and possibly free program instead of paying $60 extra for it, but I need to know if that's what I'm going to have to do.

Oh yeah, I forgot about your other post mentioning the interface change. I looked at the screenshots, and you're right. I'll get 12.

Yes, Chroma key is part of their standard features. It has been there since the beginning with Video Explosion (yes, I have that program mini/tongue ). Movie Studio has a lot of others effects and tools that are very useful as well, like lens flares (if you really have to do them in post), lots of color tools, film effects, and a whole bunch of stuff I barely use.

YouTubeWebsite

I also have the suite, from what I got it included sound forge, music studio, DVD architect, and movie studio. I barely use movie studio (because I use Vegas mini/smile ) the rest is really good. I highly recommend Vegas, but this suite that has everything is great.

I HAVE RETURNED!!!
Youtube
PunBB bbcode test

Many thanks, guys. This has pretty much narrowed down what I need. I have one last question that may or may not influence my decision, if you don't mind answering. Do SMS 12 Premium or Suite include any kind of color correcting features, and is there (that you know of) any cheap or free color correcting program? I've been wanting to give color correction a try.

Yes, it does include color correction tools. Levels, Color Balance, Color Corrector, & Brightness/Contrast (there may be a few more, I can't remember). They may not be the most advanced in the world, but they do the job very well. I color correct all of my videos.

If you get Movie Studio, you will notice that it has a lot of features. It's more than a basic editor like Movie Maker. I've used it for years, and I think it it great.

YouTubeWebsite

Awesome. I won't say thanks again, as it's getting repetitive. mini/tongue  Yeah, I started out with Windows Movie Maker five and a half years ago (assuming that's what you're referring to). It was a big change when I switched to VideoPad, which is much more professional, but is full of bugs. So I'm somewhat familiar with how "good" editors are laid out and how to work them. Can't wait to get started!