Re: How would you fix the Animation Challenge?

Cooked Cat wrote:

perhaps, the 'reward' could just be it getting featured on the BiM facebook page.....

Some people can't access facebook. Instead how about they get on a topic made for featuring the list of people who won?

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

legogod wrote:

This is where the winners would come in. Each challenge would be like a mini Olympics to put your best foot forward and represent for the community. There would be no need for trophies or badges. Whoever wins gets their video posted to the resources section forever and writes a technical blurb about how said effect was achieved.

Harborlight Productions wrote:

how about they get on a topic made for featuring the list of people who won?

I'm going to be honest, I think both of those are extremely unlikely to encourage people to enter. Choosing the next challenge is such a simple concept that's worked for years. Even if you say that the winner can only choose from a pool of pre-existing ideas (either thought out by mods or previous challenges) I think that's more likely to get people fired up about entering than going on the Resources page. I don't think representing for the community will interest most people, and most people also won't want to write a technical blurb. As far as a topic of winners goes...that's the first post in the Animation Challenge thread. It just needs to be updated more often.

Cooked Cat was perhaps along a better line, but that still leaves the problem (as Harborlight rightly pointed out) that a lot of people don't have/use Facebook (plus I wasn't aware BiM even had a facebook page). Maybe it would better if it was cross-platform: the winning entry broadcast over Faceboom, Twitter, Instafresh, Google Plus, wherever BiM has a presence.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

An idea I had on chat Jampot was that the winner does choose the theme. Once he picks the theme the host will post a thread. But if the winner doesn't send in a theme in a certain time period then the host will pick one/or they start a community poll. That way, everything will keep moving instead of having to wait for the winner for a so-so amount of time.

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

jampot wrote:

Maybe it would better if it was cross-platform: the winning entry broadcast over Faceboom, Twitter, Instafresh, Google Plus, wherever BiM has a presence.

That would put a lot of work on the people managing those social media pages. I think we could find an easier solution. A topic dedicated to putting the list of winners on would be easiest.

If we were to promote the winner on a social media site, that encourages people to enter for the wrong reasons.

Harborlight Productions wrote:
jampot wrote:

Maybe it would better if it was cross-platform: the winning entry broadcast over Faceboom, Twitter, Instafresh, Google Plus, wherever BiM has a presence.

That would put a lot of work on the people managing those social media pages. I think we could find an easier solution. A topic dedicated to putting the list of winners on would be easiest.

If we were to promote the winner on a social media site, that encourages people to enter for the wrong reasons.

I don't know that it is a 'wrong' reason to be honest; not everyone's solely out to get views on The Tube, but at the same time it's nice to be appreciated.

Also, a thread with a list of winners would be unnecessary: just list them in the first post, as we should have been doing all along anyway. I think we should avoid making too many threads, as it could easily end up being convoluted and hard for members to understand.

The more we discuss all of this, the less I'm seeing that's wrong with the original format. I think all we need to delete is just start afresh, same format, maybe have the mods keep a closer eye on it, and allow old themes to be reused. I don't think it needs to be 'fixed'.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

yeah, just a bit of promotion for their hard work....

jampot wrote:

The more we discuss all of this, the less I'm seeing that's wrong with the original format. I think all we need to delete is just start afresh, same format, maybe have the mods keep a closer eye on it, and allow old themes to be reused. I don't think it needs to be 'fixed'.

That's pretty much my feelings on it too.

I would lock the current topic, and start up a new one which can use new and old challenge ideas. The current one is, a mess, and a new animation challenge topic would be more ideal!

Like jampot and Slurping Animations said, just make a new topic, same rules, same everything, but use both old and new topics.

uh oh!

So, Nathan and the other staff members, have you come to a decision yet, or will we let the discussion carry on some more?

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Err, no. I thought we had something hammered out the other day, but I don't think anything's been done lately.
There're a few issues that still need to be decided, and we're all waiting for somebody else to do something. mini/eh

It all comes down to one of two choices:
1. Just reboot the thread as it is, and let it go on for better or worse.
2. Create a new thread that is monitored and run by folks that will keep it in line and going well.