Topic: Animator of the Week: Neal Tovstiga (April 6, 2015)

http://i.imgur.com/IFwjfcC.png

This featured brickfilmer post is part of a series of articles highlighting animators who supported the Bricks in Motion Documentary project on Kickstarter.

Neal Tovstiga (Mr Vertigo), 18, is an animator currently living in the UK. He first learned about brickfilming some seven years ago when he came across LEGO animations on YouTube. Having had an interest in LEGO since childhood, the medium appealed him, but he didn't decide to take it up for himself until 2012 when he was inspired by the work of Harrison Allen (BiM member Squid); he specifically cites Pirates Rule! and How Not To Rob A Bank.

He joined Bricks in Motion and his first Brickfilm, The Time Machine, was made for a local youth festival contest and screened at a local cinema. He later made Monochrome and Loyalty, for the Contrast and BRAWL competitions on the Bricks in Motion forums.

His current project is a brickfilm called Seven Assassins, for which he recently released a trailer.

"Brickfilming has always been about experimentation and pushing boundaries for me. I've always attempted to try something new in each of the films I've made, whether writing dialogue in "Loyalty" or experimenting with colour and replacement animation in "Monochrome". "Seven Assassins" is especially ground-breaking for me personally: It's the first time I've used a DSLR in Brickfilming, the first time I've gotten people other than myself to voice, and it also has by far the longest script I've ever written (currently around 30 pages or so)."

Neal has also explored live action filmmaking:

"The things I learned there have definitely carried over into my animation. My lighting and cinematography skills in particular have vastly improved. I also find I plan out my films a lot more: previously I didn't storyboard or even write properly formatted scripts for my films, but I now rigorously storyboard, adjust my lighting set-up, and take time to carefully position my camera, instead of just switching on the lights, putting my camera in the next-best position and snapping away. Sometimes I feel like I spend more time planning and framing my shots than I do actually animating. Still, I find this gives me a lot more control over the stories I want to tell, and, I hope, makes my films feel a lot more interesting and immersive."

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Re: Animator of the Week: Neal Tovstiga (April 6, 2015)

Mr Vertigo is a wonderful animator, and he definitely deserves the attention. I have enjoyed every one of his films, and and really looking forward to Seven Assassins. mini/smile

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I was so pleased to see Neal featured for the Animator of the Week! Ever since seeing Monochrome I have have been inspired by his work.

Mr Vertigo is an innovative and a hugely influential brickfilmer, for sure. mini/smile

Mr Vertigo has greatly inspired me, particularly with his film Loyalty, which left my jaw on the floor for quite awhile. The way he makes his films are unique and immersive. Super excited to see him on the front page!

Really excited to see 7 Assassins. The trailer makes it feel like a real movie. The timing, juxtaposition of scenes and the music all add up to an intriguing trailer without (I hope) giving too much away.

Neal definitely deserves notoriety especially in the short time he's been brickfilming!

http://orig13.deviantart.net/3968/f/2017/197/d/c/faaf_logo_4_1_by_orignl_ninja_knight-dbglsld.png

Mr Vertigo is a great member of this community, both a good animator and a good friend. As has been said, I too am excited for Seven Assassins, as I am sure it will be very entertaining.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I've read the script.  Seven Assassins is going to be one of the best films this year.

Vertigo is becoming one of the best brickfilmers around.

I extremely enjoyed Monochrome when it came out, I absolutely love films without dialogue when done well. Mr Vertigo has always been a fun filmmaker and a great member of this site.

I can't believe I missed seeing the trailer for the Seven Assassins, it looks absolutely fantastic, can't wait to see the film!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! (Sorry, a bit late in responding).  I feel honoured by the response and I'm really glad to see that people like my films.  I guess it means that they're doing what they're supposed to be doing, entertaining and inspiring.

Also, I've now reached over 100 subscribers on my channel.  You guys are awesome. mini/smile

nswihart wrote:

Really excited to see 7 Assassins. The trailer makes it feel like a real movie. The timing, juxtaposition of scenes and the music all add up to an intriguing trailer without (I hope) giving too much away.

Oh, I've got a surprise or two up my sleeve... mini/wink

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive