Topic: Brickfilm of the Week: Little Guys! (April 24, 2015)

This week’s Brickfilm of the Week is Little Guys! by David Pagano.

Little Guys! is a faux-commercial made in the style of a 1980s toy commercial advertising a fictional toy known as Little Guys. It was made in 2007 by David Pagano and went on to win two Brick Award for Film Arts awards: Best Film and Best Animation. David Pagano was a Brickfilms.com member, and is currently a Bricks in Motion member and is the co-creator of The Set Bump, a blog about brickfilming. He frequently works with The LEGO Company to produce promotional short films featuring LEGO. His personal projects include Playback and the in-production follow-up to Little Guys!, Little Guys in Space!

Watch Little Guys! on YouTube

http://i.imgur.com/rA8jqrI.png

SPOILERY DISCUSSION BELOW!

With only a few exceptions, brickfilms characters are LEGO minifigures. While heads and torsos and legs can be swapped, they all stick to the same scale and shape: just under 1.5 inches tall, and seven points of articulation. Little Guys! ignores the minifigure altogether, and utilizes basic LEGO bricks to create not only the large-scale environments, but the characters as well. This freedom allows for the creation of many different expressive characters. Compare the round-faced grandpa to the straight-laced executive, or the playing children to the interviewed adults. By building his characters out of LEGO, Pagano has achieved a very distinct visual style that has only been mimicked by a few.

What are your thoughts on Little Guys!? What did you like about it? What do you think of the use of brick-built puppets? Did you have a favorite moment?

Re: Brickfilm of the Week: Little Guys! (April 24, 2015)

"Little Guys! The exciting new toy from Paganomation!"

I cannot remember the first time I saw Little Guys! but each time I watch it, I fall in love with it all over again.

The incorporation of the large-scale characters is something unique to David's brickfilming style. The brick-built puppets allow the 80s style commercial to be filled with excitement and great emotion, with the wide range of expressions that the characters have. Similarly, the large-scale sets, catered to the puppets, are just as impressive.

Re: Brickfilm of the Week: Little Guys! (April 24, 2015)

Everything here is really expressive and well done;
Except for the product, video quality and the showrunner. Those were, I think, purposefully lacklustre. The juxtaposition is great.