Re: The Animation Challenge

N0odleBrick wrote:

So, since I won I am suposed to pick a theme. When am I suposed to choose the new theme? Am supose to wait for Nathan wells to post something telling me to pick the new theme? Or am I just suposed to do it, starting the new animation challenge?

You just post the new theme, you don't have to wait for Nathan.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Ok cool, The new theme is Reflections. This is supposed to be a very broad topic open for interpretation. At the most basic, just animate your figure walking by a mirror or water or basically anything that has a reflection.

The dead line is April 27

Last edited by soupmanjack (April 21, 2015 (08:38pm))

Nathan Wells wrote:
Cooked Cat wrote:

are we limiting this to JUST lego? or like for instance, if we want a challenge based on making CGI/stock footage fit in with this, would it count? or no?

Nathan Wells wrote:

The theme should be challenging (so no basic walk cycles) but also possible to make in stop-motion by a typical brickfilmer (no battle scenes with 50 figures)..

Bolded for emphasis. This thread is intended to improve stop-motion skills.

ok, but like could we ever see a theme that is making the stopmotion world and Stock expolsion say, fit best, say like the enviroment reacting?

Cooked cat I don't understand.

ok, what I am saying is, would a theme: "Incorperating digital assets into the enviroment" be allowed, having a simple explosion but meaning that the world would have to be effected by that?

Cooked Cat wrote:

ok, what I am saying is, would a theme: "Incorperating digital assets into the enviroment" be allowed, having a simple explosion but meaning that the world would have to be effected by that?

Not everyone animator has the resources to imply digital effects into a short (including me) so I would say that isn't an exception to Nathan Wells' statement.

Remember this is for animation only and not anything else; CGI, special effects, sound effects, etc.

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

I know, but what I am getting at, is rather the relationship between both, for instance, if I was just to put a stock explosion onto footage, it would look fake, but if I animate the world to react to it.... it would look better, I think that is a important part of VFXing too....

Cat, I see what you're thinking, and it's not necessarily a bad idea*, but the core word of this thread is animation.
The goal is the animate everything in-camera, to help stretch the skills and abilities of the participants. It's also designed so that anyone can enter, even if it's only with a handful of bricks.

Some of the challenges require a bit more in terms of bricks/resources, but as the rules say:

but also possible to make in stop-motion by a typical brickfilmer

Typical brickfilmers can do the animation, but few have the digital programs and/or knowledge to work with CGI.

It's an idea, and Nathan would certainly be the final authority, but for now I'd say no.
This is about using in-camera and animation techniques to achieve the desired look, and CGI enhancements/additions, while not explicitly outlawed, are at least partially against the basic premise of the thread.

*In fact, the main reason a lot of VFX look poor in brickfilms is because they don't understand the proper relationship, and there's nothing in-camera to support the digital additions. So it's very important, and a needed skill, but perhaps not something for this thread.

This thread in particular is focused on stop-motion animation. If these is enough interest, a separate thread about integrating CGI or other digital effects into stop-motion footage might be reasonable, but it's not suitable for this thread.

Just to make sure it isn't lost in the discussion, the new theme, chosen by N0odleBrick, is:

Reflections. This is supposed to be a very broad topic open for interpretation. At the most basic, just animate your figure walking by a mirror or water or basically anything that has a reflection.

The dead line is April 27

Here is my entry Mr. N0odlebrick
https://youtu.be/D4PUzsoOD_8

-RandomBoaz    YouTube

Here's my (not-so-good) entry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Ixm1snUV4

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

The winner is... RamdomBoaz. I like pure lego feel of your animation. The animation was a little choppy but the concept of it was amazingly well done.

- Rioforce your entry was very well animated but lacked the brick built feel I was looking for.

Last edited by soupmanjack (April 28, 2015 (10:52am))

Alright, I guess it's time for me to pick a new theme. And the new theme is... Falling Apart
I expect it to be similar to the lego videogames. And try to get the plasticy feel of the lego body parts hitting the ground.

mini/blankexpression

Last edited by Randomboaz (May 2, 2015 (02:38pm))

-RandomBoaz    YouTube

Instead of having a minifigures fall apart could it be like a car or machine that falls apart?

N0odleBrick wrote:

Instead of having a minifigures fall apart could it be like a car or machine that falls apart?

I'm looking for minifigs falling apart. You can animate a car falling apart if you want though.

-RandomBoaz    YouTube

So... What do I do if there's no entries? mini/blankexpression

-RandomBoaz    YouTube

You can extend the deadline or start a new theme.

do we have a deadline?

It's probably best to pick a new theme.

na, give us a bit of time. I'll go animate this now.....