Topic: Brickfilm of the Week: Hit & Run (May 8, 2015)

This week’s Brickfilm of the Week is Hit & Run by Nick Maniatis.

Hit & Run depicts a man being called to a meeting place and the events surrounding this from multiple viewpoints. It was made in 2004 by Nick Maniatis for the A Peculiar Event contest on Brickfilms.com, and ultimately placed second. Nick Maniatis was a well-known member of Brickfilms.com and is also known for making Good Company, Interference and Dare to be Different.

Watch Hit & Run on YouTube

http://i.imgur.com/EETdlUz.png

SPOILERY DISCUSSION BELOW!

Most brickfilms, like most stories in general, are told linearly: the story has a beginning that begins at the beginning, and an end that ends at the end. But Hit & Run takes a different approach that is reminiscent of the early Nolan film Memento. Watching Hit & Run multiple times is essentially a requirement, and with each rewatch the story makes more and more sense. Everything is carefully laid out and planned, and executed with precision.

What are your thoughts on Hit & Run? What did you like about it? What do you think of the non-linear storytelling? Did you have a favorite moment?

Re: Brickfilm of the Week: Hit & Run (May 8, 2015)

Right from the first shot (a slow zoom out from a ringing telephone) I could tell that Nick Maniatis knew exactly what he was doing. The story that followed didn't disappoint, either. While I'm not usually a fan of a non-linear editing style, this film pulls it off flawlessly in my opinion. It's not so much hard to follow as it is deep, interesting, and entertaining. Right from the first lines does Maniatis draw you in - and, through to the last shot, he keeps the viewer engaged.

While I do think that the lighting is a bit too flat overall, it doesn't distract from the overall good looking visuals, and uniquely simple animation. Pulling off someone 'walking in reverse' could have so easily looked like a minifig simply walking backwards. However, this is not the case with Hit & Run.

It's greatest achievement (and potential turn off for some, I may suspect) is it's explanations - or lack thereof. Why does the guy with glasses walk (normally) past a man walking (in reverse)? How does Maniatis' world's physics allow for such an interaction? - It's a question that, I personally, prefer to be left unanswered. I like the way Hit & Run echoes Nolan's Memento, and, frankly, would love for Maniatis to return to this world in a future brickfilm!

He certainly had me hooked into his altered reality, and, that's something I think that a lot of brickfilmers struggle with. I'd love to see certain aspects from Hit & Run (even the editing and storytelling) to be attempted by others. It's sure to result in some memorable shorts, if nothing else!

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Re: Brickfilm of the Week: Hit & Run (May 8, 2015)

This film has one of the most interesting approaches to storytelling in brickfilming, and even rewatching it now I have still noticed a new detail. Hali had a great knack for brickfilms that make you think, and always executed them very well.

Also, Dyland, I know you said that you would prefer your question left unanswered so, um, apologies in advance, but the man with glasses does not walk past the man who is seen walking in reverse. It's not altered reality but rather altered narrative and order. I'd recommend watching it again, as it really does reward multiple viewings.