Topic: Backstage at the Bricks in Motion Awards!

Directory Link

Backstage at the Bricks in Motion Awards!

YouTube

A behind the scenes look at Zach as he prepares to announce the Best Film winner at the 2014 BiMAs!

Re: Backstage at the Bricks in Motion Awards!

It's always lovely to see the behind the scenes workings of the Neil Patrick Harris of Brickfilming.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Ha, that was great. How did you do the mirror effect? Did you use a real mirror or did you have another minifigure on the other side?

Also interested to hear how the mirror was done. I admire the level of detail put into the movements to match the dialog, it looks so natural!

Life is like a box of LEGO, you never know what you're gonna build. - mrgraff

Thanks, guys. mini/smile

The mirror effect was done practically. I have a small mirror that's great for LEGO scale stuff, so I can just build an opening in one of the walls, sticky tac it flush against it and abra kadabra. I took a picture of my setup, the black thing sticking out at the end of the set is the mirror's handle.

I also used that mirror to similar effect in an older film of mine, A Christmas Caper.

Last edited by MindGame (June 14, 2015 (02:52pm))

Really enjoyed the simplicity of the short.

The set design was good, and I'm surprised you chose to animate on tiles. I'm unsure whether the slight minifigure movements back and forth on the tiles was intentional, but I understand animating on such a flat surface can be difficult.
I also noticed some camera/set bumps, not the difference between the shots when he looks in the mirror, but throughout those individual shots, I noticed some bumps. Not sure if these were also intentional or not, but they weren't very distracting.

However, the overall animation was great. The slight movements you seem to be able to perform are fantastic. I love in the opening shot, how his feet even move ever so slightly. The idea was also very good, not totally unique, but you made it your own.

Rating : 9/10