Topic: BRAWL 2015

I'm pleased to announce BRAWL 2015!

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2colht3.jpg

Official BRAWL 2015 announcement document

What is BRAWL?
Brickfilm Rapidly All Week Long or BRAWL, challenges you to make a brickfilm in exactly one week. This includes idea-making, writing, recording, animating, editing and submitting to be done within the time limit. It's a challenge, but you'll enjoy it!

When Does it Start?
The contest will start July 19, 2015 12:00 am (00:00) GMT (Greenwich Mean Time), and will end July 26, 2015 12:00 am (00:00) GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). You will have exactly one week to finish and submit a film. Any entries not received by the end of one week time period will be disqualified.

A thread titled "BRAWL 2015 Starts NOW!" will be posted in the Contest & Festivals forum. The thread will contain the theme, MOD elements, submission information, and a summary of the judging process.

Rules & Requirements
• Your film must be entirely made and submitted during the 1-week period. To prove this, films must follow a theme and include MOD elements that must appear in every shot of your animation (more information in "Theme & MOD Elements").
• Films must be animated and must be primarily composed of stop motion animation. Flash, 3D, or other animation techniques may be used to supplement stop-motion but, it may not be the main focus.
• Films must contain LEGO or similar 'brick' construction toys, such as MEGA Bloks.
• There must be at least 30 seconds of animation in the film. There is no maximum length.
• Films may not contain adult language, racist content, excessive graphic violence (blood and/or gore) or sexual themes.
• You may make up the three entries. If more than three films are submitted, the first three films received will be accepted. Any films received after the first three will be disqualified.
• You may NOT make your film public until after the deadline.
• Films must clearly show the linked BRAWL 2015 logo for three uninterrupted seconds. The logo may be inserted digitially.

If any of the above rules are not met, your film will be disqualified.

Guidelines
• Joint entries (collaborations) are allowed, but please specify every person or group involved with the creation of the film when submitting.
• While copyrighted/trademarked properties are allowed, you are discouraged from basing your movie off of pre-existing films or franchises (Star Wars, Marvel, & etc.). Use your imagination! Creativity is encouraged and awarded in BRAWL.
• Copyrighted, royalty-free, and original music pieces may all be used during BRAWL; original music pieces do not have to be made during the one week time limit.
• While the rules do not require entries to be spoken in the English language, it is recommended that your film use the English language. This is because the judging panel's first language is English. This is not meant to discourage you from making your entry in a language other than English. In fact, please refer to the "Submission" section of the contest announcement to see rules on additional time that can be used for subtitles.

Theme & MOD Elements
To prevent entrants from creating their films ahead of time, a contest theme, that entries must include, will be announced when the contest begins. In addition to the theme there will be two "MOD" elements. The MOD elements are visual elements that must be included in every shot of your film

The contest theme can be interpreted a number of ways, it can be integrated into the story of your film, a character's personality, or in your approach to creating the film. It is encouraged you to take a creative license in your interpretation of the theme. As long as the theme can be identified in your film.

There are two kinds of MOD elements, the first MOD element is a color MOD. This will be a combination of two brick colors connected or touching each other (for example, a blue brick connected to a green brick). The second MOD element is a letter MOD. This could be any of the 26 letters of the modern English alphabet. You may use the uppercase or lowercase version of the letter, but the letter must be recognizable as that letter.

You do not need to use both MOD elements. You can combine these MOD elements in any way that you see fit, so long as at least one is present at all times. You could choose to use just the color MOD or just the letter MOD, you could choose to use both, you could alternate between scenes, or any combination of the above. All that is important is that at least one of the MOD elements be visible in every shot.

• The letter may be upper or lower case, but it still must be clearly that letter. The letter can be rotated but not mirrored. Again, it must be clearly identifiable as that letter. It may be written or printed on a piece of paper or sticker, drawn directly onto a brick, printed on a piece, or built from pieces and even integrated into the set.
• The letter MOD element may exist on a printed LEGO piece, but it must clearly be that letter. An eyebrow or wrinkle on a minifig’s face, or a fold in the shirt on the minifig's torso are not letters.
• The MOD Element may NOT be inserted digitally. It must be physically present in the shot.
• You do not need to include either MOD element in the titles or credits.
• If a shot must be clarified by changing the shot in anyway (i.e. changing brightness, black and white to color, & etc) to be able to identify the mod element, the shot will not count as containing the mod element.

In addition, films must clearly show the linked BRAWL 2015 logo for three uninterrupted seconds. The logo may be inserted digitially.

Submission
A link to your entry must be sent to an email address that will be released in the “BRAWL 2015 Starts NOW!” thread. Entries must be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo. Details on this will be in the “BRAWL 2015 Starts NOW! Thread.

Optionally, for entries whose primary language is NOT in the English language, a second version of the film may be submitted 48 hours after the deadline with added English subtitles so the judges have a better understanding of the film. In order to submit the subtitled film, the following criteria must be met:

• An entry must have been submitted before the one week deadline (July 26, 2015 12:00 am (00:00) GMT).
• The subtitled entry will be a modified version of the entry submitted before the one-week deadline. The only change that can be made is English subtitles being added. No extra shots, no extra audio, not even a change in color grade. If any changes are found, the subtitled entry will be considered void and the previously submitted non-subtitled entry will be judged.
• The subtitled entry must be submitted no later than 48 hours after the end of the BRAWL contest (July 28, 2015 12:00 am (00:00) GMT

Judging & Prizes   
The judges for BRAWL 2015 are Nathan Wells, Mindgame, Chris W., AquaMorph, and FunSucker. How you’ll be judged will be released in the “BRAWL 2015 Starts NOW!” thread.

The top three films determined by the judges will each receive a $25 gift card to Brick Warriors store. Thanks to Brick Warriors for generously providing the prizes!

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2ihwg46.jpg

Spread The Word!
Spread the word! Use the BRAWL 2015 signature on BricksinMotion. Find it in my sig.

Use the the hastag #BRAWL2015 when discussing the contest on social media platforms.

Last edited by Fun Sucker (June 26, 2015 (04:11pm))

Former BRAWL host, 2013-2017
             Youtube   Twitter

Re: BRAWL 2015

I know many of you may be busy with the Darkness and Light contest, but I encourage you all to enter BRAWL as well. It's a completely different challenge, and would be a great way to kickstart animating for the summer. Plus, it's only a week long!

Also, Brick Warriors produces great products. I'm very pleased with my Brick Warriors items, I'm just still looking for an opportunity to use them in a film.

THE GREATEST TIME OF THE YEAR!

I was worried that I would be either away/too busy to enter..  But it looks like I might be able to pull something off.  I love the BRAWL contest!

http://i.imgur.com/CSwoca1.png

I am SO entering.

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

Getting ready to BRAWL with yall!

EDIT: I have a question, you said we have to show the Brick Warriors and BRAWL logo in our film, but do we have to use the exact one proved? Can we use one with a black background, or separate the logos and make them on two different screens?

Last edited by rioforce (June 19, 2015 (12:09pm))

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Awesome, I've been looking forward to this for a while now!

OK...That's literally the third worst week it could have landed on over the entire summer.
Working extra, later nights for sure, may not get a day off, and have to prep for the following week of craziness.
(Which would have been the second worst week for BRAWL.) It'll also be really rough trying to throw something together with D/L taking most of my resources.

So....Challenge Accepted. mini/sunnies

I honestly have made no progress whatsoever on Darkness and Light so I will just continue on my regular filming for my new video until BRAWL starts. You can count me in on this!!!   mini/sunnies

I HAVE RETURNED!!!
Youtube
PunBB bbcode test

I was actually just wondering not too long ago whether BRAWL would make a return.  I had an absolute blast last year, so I'm glad to see it's back! 

I'm not sure if I'll be able to enter this year, though, as I'm massively behind on Seven Assassins.  I fear I may have to give it a miss. mini/sad  (I was hoping to enter the Darkness and Light contest as well, but that's looking less and less likely too...)  Still, if I get a lot done by the time the start of BRAWL rolls around, I might be able to enter.  Maybe.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Yeeeessss, it has returned! Definitely entering!

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Probably won't have that much time on this that week.  It'll certainly be a challenge. 
So in the words of the great Pritchard Studios, "Challenge Accepted". mini/yes mini/no

Have a nice day! mini/smile

YouTube

BRAWL? What's a BRAWL?

Read the post.

Fun Sucker wrote:

What is BRAWL?
Brickfilm Rapidly All Week Long or BRAWL, challenges you to make a brickfilm in exactly one week. This includes idea-making, writing, recording, animating, editing and submitting to be done within the time limit. It's a challenge, but you'll enjoy it!

I like to think that LASF was being sarcastic...

YouTube
Max, She/They

Just one question, can I speak about this contest on Brick-à-Brack ? The French Brickfilmer website ?

Worldwide Brickfilm Community : Brick à Brack

YouTube Channel : MBstudio
Twitter : @MBstudio_Movies

LASF wrote:

BRAWL? What's a BRAWL?

Brawl

noun

1. A noisy, rough, uncontrolled fight.

2. A bubbling or roaring noise; a clamor.

3. [Typically rendered as BRAWL] Brickfilm Rapidly All Week Long, a perennial, week-long stop-motion animation contest usually hosted on the website www.bricksinmotion.com.

verb (intransitive)

1. To fight in a noisy, rough, and uncontrolled manner.

2.  To make a bubbling or roaring noise.

3. To participate in BRAWL.  Possible side effects may include loss of sleep, frustration, anger, despair, elation, aversion to sunlight, vital animation equipment malfunctioning, a notable increase of one of 26 letters of the English alphabet scribbled on a small piece of paper with a sharpie, a notable increase in two LEGO® elements of two individual pre-determined colours connected together, excited posts on the forums of www.bricksinmotion.com, curing the world of all disease at the expense of having everyone talk in memes, a sharp increase in the usage of the expression "yes woo nice", and/or other unspecified effects on the human psyche.

Example Sentences

1.  "The mandatory inclusion of the logo of a 3rd-party sponsor in every contest entry caused a brawl as the would-be participants took to the forums in indignation." -- Article, July 21st, 2014

2.  "It is generally not advisable to brawl during BRAWL." -- The BRAWL User Manual

3.  "I forgot to include the mod element and got so angry I threw my camera out of the window.  10/10 would BRAWL again." -- A satisfied participant of BRAWL

See Also: Brickfilming, Bricks in Motion, LEGO, stop-motion animation, girlfriend

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (June 21, 2015 (04:37am))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

MBstudio wrote:

Just one question, can I speak about this contest on Brick-à-Brack ? The French Brickfilmer website ?

Sure! We don't have a members-only rule, so anybody is welcome to promote it and join.
That being said, I'm not sure if we only allow English films, or if they can be in French as long as they have subtitles.
I'd guess the second, but you'll have to get an answer from Nathan on that.

Mr. Vertigo, great definition, I love it. mini/lol
Thank you for gracing us with your incomparable grasp of the grammatical breakdown of the aforementioned abbreviation and the associated subtext and concealed, yet inevitable, consequential effects resultant from participation.

But you missed some on that last "See also" part. It should read: "girlfriend (lack of)"
Unless you're referring to BRAWL and brickfilming as a girlfriend. Which could make sense.

Ok thank ! I'm going to do the traduction of the topic, and i'm going to post it on Brick-à-Brack tonight. mini/smile

Worldwide Brickfilm Community : Brick à Brack

YouTube Channel : MBstudio
Twitter : @MBstudio_Movies

FunSucker mentioned the possibility of allowing people a few extra days to create English subtitles, if needed (and as long as they had already submitted the film within the deadline). Hopefully we will hear from him soon; I imagine a rule like that would help participation from Brick-à-Brack.