Topic: DISCUSSION CLOSED: Should I Use The Voice Of God?

I don't want to give away too much, but I am currently working on the script for a brickfilm, which is based on a passage from the Bible. In this passage, the voice of God can be heard from above. I am not sure wheather I can voice God, because I think that it'll be hard to do his voice without making him sound like something from some parody. If I was to voice him, I would probably give him whispery voice, like the hymn 'Dear Lord And Father Of Mankind' suggests:

'Oh still, small voice of calm.'

Please comment. Do you think I should use the voice of God?

Last edited by William Osborne (August 5, 2015 (01:52am))

Re: DISCUSSION CLOSED: Should I Use The Voice Of God?

How will people perceive it in the context of your film, people will probably expect the 'voice of god' to have presence and getting a 'still, small voice' with the presence you need would require some really top notch acting. It might be easier to find someone with a bigger deep voice to get something people would expect.

on a side note I once played the voice of god in a school play, I wish I had a recording of it to see how I sounded back then, I'm pretty sure I was going through a stage in puberty where my voice wasn't cracking but I doubt it sounds like it does now.

I suppose you're right. God's voice must be a strong voice, and it would be hard to make a small voice sound that way. It's not the easiest voice to do.

Moderator's note: please do not double-post. Thanks!

I agree with Sloth Paladin. People will expect a large voice, even if He usually really speaks in to us in a whisper. The only other alternative would be: Having someone with a deep resonant voice speak tenderly. This would still be difficult, but I think it could work.

Now available to score films. https://soundcloud.com/guy-commanderson

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal

Put up a casting call, say what you think God might sound like as some loose guidelines, but see how other people interpret it. You may get a version back that surprises you; that's large and booming but somehow unique, something you might not have thought of before.

I normally find this kind of thing helps in this kind of situation. Kind of.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

@jampot: Thanks for the advice, but I asked my father if he'd play God and he said yes, so I am quite sure that I've got the right part. I will think about casting calls for my future films, however.

The voice of God can be strong, but also very soft...  in Charles Ives' classical composition, "The Unanswere3d Question," the voices representing eternal beings are very soft and omni-present throughout the piece.  In the greatest animated movie of all time, "The Prince of Egypt", God comes to Moses in Moses' own voice.  There is power in softness, as something undeterred and eternal.

A strong voice can also be used, but men who do the voice may sound bellowing and therefore cheesy, expecially if a lot of cavernous echo is used.

Try various voices and ask for auditions from several; try them all and see what you like.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

I love the film 'The Prince Of Egypt.' I think that a soft yet powerful voice is a much greater challenge than to have a loud voice. When you think of most Biblical films, they tend to go for the soft voice. It is much harder to do that, but if done properly, it does make it seem that much more spiritual. About auditioning for voices; I've got a bit of a deadline. I didn't want to give too much away about my film because this is going to be my Darkness And Light entry. So, as you know, I've only got a couple of weeks left.

Last edited by William Osborne (August 3, 2015 (02:47pm))

you can never go wrong with morgan freeman

Thanks for the advice, guys. I will put the voice of God in my film, I don't think I can do this film without him. I think that for this particular passage from Bible, God will have to have quite a loud voice, even if he usually speaks to us softly, like 'If I Were A Minifig' said. I will now close the discussion!

-William